PDA

View Full Version : Roxio offers video solutions that Apple can't!

Inspired
29th March 2008, 09:10 PM
It didn't work until this update released today - Toast Titanium 9.02.

This is huge news, all those with the latest high definition video camera technology can now burn their own high definition blu-ray discs on regular dvd-r's and play them on they're PS3's.

Roxio have worked hard on this technology and have come up trumps where Apple has so far failed.

Remember the year of HD, that Apple was boasting about- remember the release of iMovie HD?

Apple abandoned HD technology- actually I should be fair, sidestepped the technology and we haven't seen high definition burners which successfully reside in many wintel products.

Remember when DVD burners first featured in Apple computers, which cost around $7500. Apple pioneered this technology, back in 2000.

Apple is now fully focused on its iPod/iPhone development arm, and has delayed its development of its fundamental video applications. Shame.

Thank you Roxio for pioneering the development of this latest format for the mac.

applecollector
29th March 2008, 09:13 PM
i totally agree with what you have said above!, apple have taken away the focus from HD content, but i wonder for how long? and how will this affect apple on the long run?

Lachie
29th March 2008, 09:27 PM
they have something up there sleeve, they always do.

tommelbourne
29th March 2008, 09:34 PM
they have something up there sleeve, they always do.

Actually, they probably don't. Sure, Apple will eventually release Macs which can burn Blu-Ray discs. However, it won't be the thing which they push hard in the years to come - if it was going to be, they would have released it by now!

Instead, they firmly believe that the future of digital media is not in optical storage, but in web-based transfer. Hence the iPod, the AppleTV, the iTunes Store.

leon
29th March 2008, 09:36 PM
Does Toast burn 1920x1080i onto the DVD in some type of "native" format, or is it compressed a la H.264 or AVCHD. I ask as I filmed my wedding which is 60GB and my honeymoon which is about 120GB. I am hanging out for a Blu-ray burner so I can burn these off, and don't like the idea of using 30 DVDs to fit this onto.

krafty
29th March 2008, 09:39 PM
Instead, they firmly believe that the future of digital media is not in optical storage, but in web-based transfer. Hence the iPod, the AppleTV, the iTunes Store.

This should read this way they believe in future media via web based transfer that they will gladly sell to you at their going rate

SyncMan
30th March 2008, 02:35 AM

You do understand that for Apple to follow that line of thinking can only apply to the average Joe, and not to the professional that needs to make/edit video productions?

ie What would a high end video production house say if Apple told them...

The future of digital media is not in optical storage, but in web-based transfer.

Somehow I think they would be laughed at.

Inspired
30th March 2008, 08:01 AM
Apple has led the multimedia stage for years, until now. They developed a successful media hub and offered the best solutions to music, video and photography, until now.
Now they are focused on gadgets- end products that appeal to the masses and Apple is making money, lots of money- and is desperately trying to stay ahead of the pack. But for how long??
All I am hoping for is that they start putting more money into their media hub, as it is the secret behind their success.
Worse still, despite being a staunch mac user for almost 20 years, I have been tempted to buy a Sony laptop for two reasons- Apple have not adopted blu-ray technology and Apple destroyed iMovie.

It is the first time in years that I have not seen Apple leading the technology stage. Other companies are ripping off ipods and iphones like there's no tomorrow. I even bought a nokia navigator over an apple iphone because it had a function that I would use more than all the gadgets on the superior apple product.

I used to upgrade my ipod every year, but I don't now. I still upgrade my computer every year, but with iMovie down the toilet and no blu-ray..... Sony's products are looking pretty tempting.

rob05
30th March 2008, 09:24 AM
Roxio currently only offers the biggest load of crapware possible with the new toast 9.0.2 or whatever they are going to number it.

There are many many people on there forums complaining about so many different problems with the new version.

Inspired
30th March 2008, 09:30 AM
Roxio currently only offers the biggest load of crapware possible with the new toast 9.0.2 or whatever they are going to number it.

There are many many people on there forums complaining about so many different problems with the new version.

Have you actually used the software rob05? Do you understand the significance of this update rob05? Yes, they have had complaints until this update, but have they had complaints after it?

Sorry, I should be a little more tactful in my approach. I am impressed with Toasts latest functionality and I appreciate that a company is hard at work developing new technology that Apple isn't.

Someone mentioned somewhere that Toast has had three updates in two years and they wanted money for all three. This is the price of a company moving technology forward and I am happy to pay for it.

I remember when Apple were releasing iLife every year and people were complaining about paying for it. Then Apple stopped, we went from iLife 06 to iLife 08. Apple stopped the development of this technology and destroyed iMovie. Once again, shame.

grorr76
30th March 2008, 09:33 AM
Does Toast burn 1920x1080i onto the DVD in some type of "native" format, or is it compressed a la H.264 or AVCHD. I ask as I filmed my wedding which is 60GB and my honeymoon which is about 120GB. I am hanging out for a Blu-ray burner so I can burn these off, and don't like the idea of using 30 DVDs to fit this onto.

Burns using mpeg 2 or 4 and you can burn 1920x1080 but it doesnt hold much.

rob05
30th March 2008, 09:40 AM
Yes I have at least tried to use it. The first version caused problems with kernal panics due to the app and my superdrive not working correctly.

9.0.2 has major video and audio syncing problems and various others with audio and some data issues when burning.

I have since reverted back to toast 8.0.3 and all problems have since gone completely away.

gameon
30th March 2008, 10:10 AM
Apple stopped the development of this technology and destroyed iMovie. Once again, shame.

imovie is for the novices
anyone half serious about video uses final cut

Inspired
30th March 2008, 05:30 PM
Rob05: I am using Toast Titanium 9.02 with good success and no audio issues- I cannot comment on your problems as each machine is different. What have you attempted to burn?
HD DVD in mpeg-4 is the only thing that I have found not working so far.

stewiesno1
30th March 2008, 05:50 PM
I think Apple like a lot of companies has been waiting for the dust to settle in the Blu-ray vs HD war and will come out with appropriately compatible software later. They get Sony/LG/Pioneer to make their DVD burners and will just pay for the components plus a licensing fee and will I am sure write some nifty plugins for either iMovie or most definitely Final Cut. A lot of engineering effort has gone into Leopard so I would expect more focus on apps like these for a while now.

Stewie