PDA

View Full Version : dot mac multiple email accounts

Secoa
29th March 2008, 12:37 PM
My wife is starting a new business and wants to use our .mac account.

How do I get a multiple email addresses? Do I use the alias option or what?

Apologies for the silly question and please do not reply if you are going to criticise the worthiness of .mac. We like it for its overall integration with iweb etc. and for the everyday user it serves us well. I simply want to be able for her to have another email address to operate under.

Thanks

Secoa

Currawong
29th March 2008, 12:43 PM
The alias option would give one account another email address to which it could be mailed to, but it'd still be one account. You'd then have to separate out the different emails using email "Rules". I can't remember offhand if there's a .Mac family pack that gives you multiple email accounts, but it would be the only other solution.

Secoa
29th March 2008, 01:01 PM
Does that mean if my main email account was say bruce@mac.com and I wished to create an alias to say jim@mac.com , would all outsiders see only jim@mac.com.

I don't mind creating a rule to separate the email coming in. I don't want to give away my normal email address.

Is my understanding right??

luke_in_tas
29th March 2008, 01:18 PM
An alias is just another name for your account. You an set up several different (I think the limit is 5) email addresses (aliases) and any mail sent to any of those addresses will end up in you normal .Mac email inbox. The sender won't know what your 'real' email address is, just the alias you provide them. Email aliases are free.

If you actually want a separate email account .Mac also allows you to purchase email-only accounts. Each extra account costs $15 per year. These accounts can only be purchased/managed from a full account, but are themselves separate accounts, without the other .Mac benefits (web hosting, etc.). This is what I use for my wife (we have separate accounts on our Mac and don't see each others email, as each .Mac email address is a different account—she doesn't need anything more than email, and this is cheaper than the .Mac family packs).

HarbieBoys
29th March 2008, 06:07 PM
When you reply to an email sent to one of your aliases, you need to make sure that the reply address corresponds to the email you wish to send out. Sometimes it seems that the reply email is somewhat random.

You can use rules to sort out the incoming emails into separate mailboxes, and highlight the different incoming emails using different colours.

I use one email alias for personal use, and one for business use. But at the end of the day, it's just me receiving and sending emails, so the occasional mix-up doesn't really matter. If you are two people with two email addresses, I'd suggest getting another email-only option.

sammyo91
29th March 2008, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy an email-only account just by itself. I only ask this as I hardly use any of the .Mac features other than the email address, and was going to cancel my membership because of this. If you could buy an email-only account that would be good enough for me :D

craigd
29th March 2008, 06:55 PM
domains are so cheap with email options these days. Plus you could get something named specific to the business which will always be more professional.

Good luck which ever way you go.

mactalkuser8282
16th June 2008, 09:50 PM
With the current .Mac service can you use your own personal domain with the email? I know you can do this for the iWeb Websites.

Thanks

Aladdin
16th June 2008, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy an email-only account just by itself. I only ask this as I hardly use any of the .Mac features other than the email address, and was going to cancel my membership because of this. If you could buy an email-only account that would be good enough for me :D

You'll need to have a full .Mac membership before you're allowed to purchase any email-only accounts for USD15 each (annual fee).

Aladdin
16th June 2008, 10:14 PM
With the current .Mac service can you use your own personal domain with the email? I know you can do this for the iWeb Websites.

Thanks

I'm currently looking to do exactly this, but have made no headway so far.

There *must* be a way to do this, right??

Alternatively, mail forwarding will work, but is less elegant.

I'm also trying to see if I can get mail to go straight into specific folders on .Mac email (e.g. plus addressing that works with FastMail.fm. Anyone know of a solution?