PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Transmission?

Rasta
28th March 2008, 09:55 PM
Alright..

I was in love with the simplity of transmission, but it's gone beyond shitting me now - particularly the 60 peer maximum that the coding muppets thought ample...

What do others suggest that is as fool proof as transmission is? I used to use Azureus, but it was the biggest bloated frog I've ever come across...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Muchas gracias :thumbup:

Currawong
28th March 2008, 10:04 PM
Azureus. And the claim it's slow and bloatware is utter rubbish. Simply the Java GUI is a bit slow, but I've had no trouble running it with 800 peers on a 1Ghz Powerbook with 1Gb RAM.

camel
28th March 2008, 10:08 PM
im hearing you rasta, would simply love utorrent on mac... it is just the BEST torrent client.. azureus is just a bit busy for my liking (not bloat but meh.. find it just a bit too slow, (compared to my pc media box and utorrent).

The Loyal
28th March 2008, 10:09 PM
Azureus has always been pretty good for me, the GUI is bland but it's actually given me better speeds than Transmission...

Rasta
28th March 2008, 10:11 PM
Azureus just pisses me off also..

It will NEVER update properly on machine, it keeps having issues with permissions for some unknown reason...

I'll give it another burl....

Katey
28th March 2008, 10:26 PM
+1 for azureus, it's always been good to me, but my mac version is all vuzed up.

Sambo
28th March 2008, 10:30 PM
+1 for azureus, it's always been good to me, but my mac version is all vuzed up.

You can disable vuze. :thumbup:

I really like transmission though, I guess it depends what trackers you are using, and what speeds the other users have!

EDIT - Isn't uTorrent meant to be on beta for OS X somewhere? :(

The Loyal
28th March 2008, 10:34 PM
You can disable vuze. :thumbup:

I really like transmission though, I guess it depends what trackers you are using, and what speeds the other users have!

Vuze is horrible, is it just disabled through preferences?

melbmac
28th March 2008, 10:35 PM
I tried Tomato and could not stand it, Azureus didn't really do it for me either, but I think I'll try it again now that I've moved.

I really wish there was something like utorrent on mac, I was so jealous when I used it for the first time a few weeks ago...

Sambo
28th March 2008, 10:37 PM
Vuze is horrible, is it just disabled through preferences?

I believe so. :)

Vapours
28th March 2008, 10:42 PM

You can select which interface you want, including the old Classic version.

Preferences/Options > Interface > Start, click the 'Display Azureus UI Chooser' button at the bottom, and select the Classic interface.

No more Vuze crap!

I agree that Azureus is bloated and clunky, but it does give you a high level of control, and is accepted by all trackers.

My main bitch with it (and it is a big one) is that it eats up all the free RAM within 3-4 hours, and won't recycle inactive RAM, but just switches straight to using the HD, and the number of pages out usually goes through the roof. If I don't have Azureus open, I NEVER run out of RAM or get excessive pages out.

If anybody has any suggestions how to prevent or limit that voracious RAM gobbling, I am all ears (eyes).

Sambo
28th March 2008, 10:46 PM
If anybody has any suggestions how to prevent or limit that voracious RAM gobbling, I am all ears (eyes).

Get more RAM, sorry about as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike, but yeah.

Cam
28th March 2008, 10:47 PM
I was using Transmission, until it just stopped downloading torrents randomly.. now i've moved to azureus and it hasnt missed a beat...... i do have 4gb of memory though :/

choy
28th March 2008, 11:11 PM
sorry have to agree. Azureus has the best feature parity with the pc versions of bittorrent. It is alitle slower than the mac-only clients but the features more than make up for it. Also alot of private trackers are banning transmission etc because they can spoof the actual amount downloaded.

I agree utorrent is best, but no mac version means no contest.

Vapours
28th March 2008, 11:35 PM
Get more RAM, sorry about as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike, but yeah.

I have 768 meg, and am about to increase it to the eMac's max of 2 gig. But that will just delay how long I can wait (when running Azureus) before restarting to clear the RAM, though that is still a big improvement.

Speaking of which, is there any way to manually convert inactive RAM to free RAM without restarting?

Cam. 4 gig. I can only dream. Have you checked your RAM status after running Azureus for say 10-12 hours? I would be interested to know what it is.

palais
29th March 2008, 12:04 AM
+1 Azureus for me. I keep trying to go back to Transmission so I don't have to run an ugly windows looking java app, but it just doesn't work as well!

grfxninja
29th March 2008, 12:42 AM
I had a lot of issues with Transmission, and I hate Azureus so much that I ended up installing Crossover and running uTorrent. Works perfectly

Katey
29th March 2008, 01:03 AM
Ok thanks guys, I'm officially vuze free.

That hid that menu option pretty damn well.

Vapours
29th March 2008, 01:07 AM
They sure did, and just to really annoy us, AFTER you have changed the interface via the carefully hidden options menu method, they put a little icon in the top right hand corner to click on to change the interface easily!

mechcon
29th March 2008, 03:54 AM
funny that, I used to hate transmission as it kept grinding my mac to a halt (check the transmission forums, it's a known issue) but it seems not anymore with the latest version. prior to that I was using azureus, so I have to say both are great apps, but im back on transmission :D

also it's interesting people mentioning utorrent, as a mac client is in the works too apparently.

Rasta
29th March 2008, 06:51 AM
I downloaded the newest version of Azureus and it seriously looked like it's been designed by Anthony Mundine, It was awful!

Turning off the Vuze makes a big difference.

What is it about software designers that think that that sort of shit is somehow attractive or helpful? So many great programs get stuffed by this kind of thing!

Still not happy with having to use Azureus, but I guess I'm stuck with it...

ric3am
29th March 2008, 06:53 AM
I liked Bits On Wheels till I used Transmission

you can change the amount off peers in the Info window to what ever you want in version 1.06

Rasta
29th March 2008, 06:58 AM
you can change the amount off peers in the Info window to what ever you want in version 1.06

Really? I read in the help section that 'they thought 60 peers was more than ample' and I didn't think they were ever going to change that...

If you can change the numbers of peers then I'd be very very happy!

ric3am
29th March 2008, 07:09 AM
Just chose a torrent and click on the info and go to options

krafty
29th March 2008, 08:13 AM
Just don't try Torrent Spy. They have closed themselves down. I wonder if the dominoes will fall?

LarryH
29th March 2008, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know that you can change Azureus to the 'Classic' theme?

I hate the 'Vuze' thing, but the Classic theme is adequate.

~Coxy
1st April 2008, 08:19 PM
I used Azureus on a PowerBook G4 with 1GB of RAM and it was usually OK. No problems ever on a PowerMac G5 with 2.5 GB, I used to leave it running for weeks at a time too.

timothy
1st April 2008, 08:41 PM
Limewire Pro has torrent support and I just use that, It works. Azureus is there if I need it, but Limewire Pro is quite good. I do not know of the free Limewire having torrent support, But I am sure it would.