PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice/NeoOffice vs iWork

Peter Mount
28th March 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi

Before I bought my Mac I was using OpenOffice on Kubuntu Linux. Before that I was using Office 2000 on Windows. I'm now using NeoOffice on the Mac.

I downloaded the iWork trial and I still have 12 days to go on that although I've barely touched it. I figured I'd just use NeoOffice until I decided to buy Office for the Mac.

I'm now finding at least one bug in NeoOffice, text fields in the spreadsheet do strange things when I try to update the text. The text fields were first put into the spreadsheet when I was using Excel so I suspect a compatibilty problem. When I update the text in NeoOffice the cursor deletes/updates in a different direction to what it should.

I just had a play with Numbers in the iWork trial and it doesn't have this bug. To be fair I haven't tried downloading OpenOffice for the Mac.

I did find Numbers has this nifty thing with colouring in the linked fields when I click on a field that is linked to other fields. NeoOffice and OpenOffice doesn't have this.

I can't help but think that iWork is the Apple equivalent of MS Works. Yet would it be more stable and more bug free than NeoOffice or OpenOffice? I might use the iWork trial to see how that compares. I'm assuming I can't (and shouldn't) reinstall the iWork trial so I can make up for the time I didn't use it to see what it's like.

Thanks

Peter Mount
30th March 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm now finding at least one bug in NeoOffice, text fields in the spreadsheet do strange things when I try to update the text. The text fields were first put into the spreadsheet when I was using Excel so I suspect a compatibilty problem. When I update the text in NeoOffice the cursor deletes/updates in a different direction to what it should.

That bug has disappeared in NeoOffice now I've downloaded the latest version (2.2.3 Patch 0) of it. I'll still give the iWork trial a go but NeoOffice does suit my budget I must admit.

Have fun