PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Burn AudioBook ?

Rodney9
28th March 2008, 04:16 PM
Hello, I wish to burn a AudioBook to cd or dvd to play in Dad's G3 it has a cd/dvd player.
The AudioBook is 1.8 Hours / 25.7 MB.

When I burn it to cd iTunes says it will have to span over several, it does the first one ok but then locks up on the second.

If I use a dvd it says it will only be a data disc and will take over a hour to burn.

What is the best way ?

Thanks,
Rodney.

Brains
28th March 2008, 04:27 PM
If your dad has a G3, then it can play MP3s and M4As - simply transfer it as a data file to CD and pass the disc to your dad, who can play it in iTunes or audion or QuickTime Player.

If you want to turn it into an ordinary audio disc, your best approach is to use something like Audacity or Amadeus II to turn the audiobook into one giant AIF or WAV file, then using the same editing programs cut it into 70-minute lengths, then burn each part to an audio CD-R.

Rodney9
28th March 2008, 04:46 PM
I copied it to a cd as data and iTunes on Dad's G3 asks me to authorize it, but it can't because Dad's machine is not connected to the net yet.

iTunes will not let me convert it to mp3 "because protected files cannot be converted to other formats"

What do I do ?

decryption
28th March 2008, 04:53 PM
You aren't supposed to give it to anyone else. That's why it has DRM, to disallow this sort of use.

But if you want to, I'm pretty sure iTunes lets you burn purchased tracks from the iTMS onto an audio CD?

Brains
28th March 2008, 05:16 PM
Ahh, you didn't say it was a protected (DRM'd) file. Decrytion is right, you cannot give a protected file to someone else ... and being too large to fit onto a normal audio CD, you can't do that either.

If your dad wants to listen to the audiobook, he is going to have to buy his own copy from iTS.

Rodney9
28th March 2008, 05:58 PM
I found the answer here - Answer (http://audible.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/audible.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3128&p_sid=DGyflP_i&p_lva=1979&p_p_created=1103134680#)
You have to burn as a audio in iTunes at 4x.

Rodney.

Rodney9
28th March 2008, 07:25 PM
Ahh, you didn't say it was a protected (DRM'd) file. Decrytion is right, you cannot give a protected file to someone else ... and being too large to fit onto a normal audio CD, you can't do that either.

If your dad wants to listen to the audiobook, he is going to have to buy his own copy from iTS.

You are joking, I can buy a cd and play it in any cdplayer here or next door.

Brains
28th March 2008, 10:36 PM
No, I'm not joking, that's the whole idea behind Digital Rights Management -- stuff you buy off iTunes Store is rigged so you can only use what you bought on your machine, or the iPod that is paired to that machine.

Rodney9
1st April 2008, 02:11 PM
No, I'm not joking, that's the whole idea behind Digital Rights Management -- stuff you buy off iTunes Store is rigged so you can only use what you bought on your machine, or the iPod that is paired to that machine.

Well , I don't know, I finally burnt the book to cd following the instructions above, basically 4 speed and no other programs running.
It now plays on Dad's G3 upstairs in itunes no problem.

Rodney.