PDA

View Full Version : Copying large volume of files-show me the way

Bluemist
28th March 2008, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Am wondering what software people use to copy a large volume of files from one disk to another (NAS) I am after something that doesnt take 95 days to copy 95GB worth of data.
I trialled Superdooper- but it appears to take as long as if I dragged the files from one volume to the other...does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Bluemist.

forgie
28th March 2008, 12:22 PM
Make sure you're using the fastest network connection - if your devices have it, use Gigabit ethernet. If not, use ye olde 100mbps ethernet. Wireless is almost always slower - unless you have 802.11n, and even than it may be slower.

If you have wireless and you've already connected ethernet, make sure you turn off wireless, since sometimes software won't realise that you have a faster connection between your two devices, and it'll still use the slower wireless connection. Turn off wireless BEFORE you start copying stuff though, since most software (including the AFP client built-in to OSX) does nasty things if you start a transfer to a computer using one network connection, then switch to another halfway through.

Currawong
28th March 2008, 01:31 PM
See how a partial copy goes - often the amount of time it'll take drops after the copy starts. It shouldn't take longer than overnight. However, if your NAS is crap, there's nothing much you can do.

ClockWork
28th March 2008, 01:52 PM
When you use Super, the first time you create a backup to another Drive by whatever means - even the fastest, is the best time to pair all your odd socks, make a little dinner, take a short course in French, dry clean your doiles, see a really good Ingmar Bergman film, whistle the chimneys, venture into the possibility of getting a knighthood etc .

The next time you use Super to backup your files to another Drive, it will take 10 - 15 minutes.

If you're using Mac OS 10.5.1 or 10.5.2, use Time Machine... or SuperDuper!.

These creatures are not merely swallowing data from one machine and spewing them into another - they are also checking each file that moves across and referencing it to the original file, to look for differences and or similarities, so that it takes a complete record (an inventory) of exactly what these files contain, their size, their position within the original volume - and so on.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Aa
28th March 2008, 02:16 PM
maybe his machine is a few years old and is trying to transfer over USB 1... ?

If it's 4 or more years old then it could be the case.