PDA

View Full Version : Mail attachment problem

chris
28th March 2008, 09:56 AM
Some Windows users complain that my attachments (sent in Mail with Windows friendly ticked) are imbedded in the e-mail and they can not do anything with them.

They are using Outlook I think - on Windows XP.

Any solution to this?

Brewster
28th March 2008, 09:59 AM
If it's an image file try right clicking (option click) the image in your email and select "View as Icon", That has fixed this issue for me before.

nard
28th March 2008, 10:08 AM
Try changing the message format to plain text.

iProduct
28th March 2008, 10:18 AM
I have the same issues with mail,
Tried "plain text", and also "view as icon" and it still occurred,

One thing that worked was making a Archive folder in finder and placing that in the email, however this still frustrated the windows user.

Anyone have any other solutions?

chris
28th March 2008, 10:28 AM
It seems to happen with image files mainly.

tintinaujapon
28th March 2008, 11:39 AM
When you use the Attach button, rather than dragging a file into the mail pane, there's a tickbox option "Send Windows friendly attachments". Clicking that should avoid the problem too.

EDIT: You've mentioned that you're already doing this, so please ignore me.

tryandbyte
28th March 2008, 11:43 AM
If the images come out as garbled text I found that if you click "attach" and attach the image to the email that way rather than dragging the file from the desktop it usually works.

In some cases you might need to append the file extension to .jpg or whatever as well.

hiredgoon
28th March 2008, 11:51 AM
what if you want to attach the image/file that is sent as an attached file and not in the body of the email?

Cien
28th March 2008, 11:55 AM
It's a very common issue and the best solution I know is to "Zip" the attachments before attaching (create archive) as suggested above.

I haven't heard any complaints from people receiving those zipped versions.

nard
28th March 2008, 10:08 PM
I have the same issues with mail,
Tried "plain text", and also "view as icon" and it still occurred,

Are you sure? I don't see how plain text can include an embedded image. Perhaps some Windows users were pulling your leg?

FineWine
29th March 2008, 02:19 AM
I use this little Apple Mail plugin Mail Attachments Iconizer 2.1 (http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer) and never had any problems since.

chris
29th March 2008, 09:02 AM
Looks great FineWine. Thanks heaps.

DJY
29th March 2008, 03:25 PM
The only way I get around this issue - when I send images to my work account (yes which is in Windoz XP + Outlook)...

is to highlight the image in Outlook and copy it... to of all places...
Powerpoint.
Then in Powerpoint there is a nice little "right click" option to save image as anything you want.

Slightly painful, but the only way I can use / save images I send from a Mac to Outlook.