PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver MX - "submit" to email help NEEDED!

Bexford
28th March 2008, 08:08 AM
Hi all

in my naivety, I actually thought setting the email address for a submit button to receive the data from the form would be as easy as a 'mailto' link, or action scripting in Flash...sadly I was mistaken!

I have all my forms ready to go and have spent hours trawling the web overnight - there seems to be a huge amount of conflicting info out there regarding this (some say PHP, others say Java, some say no to both these!) - so I need to cut through all this and asap!

so....I have my submit button below the form - LITERALLY what next????!

I actually downloaded FormMail...popped the .pl file into my cgi-bin folder on my server - then realised there are some variables that need to be changed in the file itself. fair enough I thought - esp as the readme file said there were only 2 to change - ie "how hard can that be?".....but it's like a lot of people who write code - their explanations of what to DO seems to be code itself - esp at 2.30am - therefore a step by step, hand-holding exercise may be needed here.

many thanks in advance if any of you can save my sanity!

cheers
bexford

<PS: forgot to mention, my site is hosted on Unix servers>

ozboi
28th March 2008, 08:57 PM
First you should probably try the NMS version of formmail.pl (http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/formmail_compat-3.14c1.zip) ... the Readme file of this versions may explain how to use the program a bit better.

I've not used it myself, but by reading the Readme I can see that here are a couple of things to look out for:

When configuring the formmail.pl file, pay particular attention to the @referers variable -- this will be your domain name (without the 'www') or the IP address of the server if you know it.

You might also want to set @recipients to be your own email address to help prevent spam bots from using your form to email other people.

As for the $mailprog variable, you will need to check with your host where your "sendmail" program is installed.

For info on how to format the above variables, see the "COMMON PROBLEMS" section of the readme at the bottom.

I know it's not a step-by-step guide, being that I haven't done it before, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

Bexford
29th March 2008, 07:05 AM
hey there...thank you so much for all this great info - I really do appreciate it - I lost hours yesterday trying to get this working...I know basic code but anything beyond that is a bit of a stretch!

I'll let you know how I go....thanks again
Bex