PDA

View Full Version : MBP strange issues... suggestions appreciated!

jrad
27th March 2008, 10:15 PM
G'day guys!

I've been really enjoying my new 15" 2.5ghz MBP... it's a great work horse and I'm loving every moment of using it... well, almost...

I've been noticing some really odd issues that are quite problematic. Whenever I boot I find my machine wants to spotlight index "Jazzdogg's Macbook Pro" (replacing Jazzdogg with my full name ;) ) which really slows down the machine for quite a few mins. But the real issue is when I'm utilizing my mac a fair bit... it tends to become unresponsive and finder seems to die a horrible death. A few days ago I was sorting out my iTunes library and then it beachballed, with the music still playing until the end of the track. I shut down my machine by force and rebooted only to find the machine boots after at the light blue screen just before the logon prompt. I booted into Windows (I know, I know... gross) and used Mac Drive to see if It could find out what's going on only to be informed my HFS+ drive was corrupted and unreadable. I then let the machine into OSX again and left it for awhile, and rebooted again and I managed to get in, only for it to crash in the same way again. Eventually it cleaned itself up though...

Yesterday I was doing some fairly intensive Motion work... at one stage Final Cut stopped communicating with my capture camera and I tried to restart, but I couldn't even get Final Cut to quit and finder died again. I rebooted and found it came clean again and kept going. Later on as I opened Livetype it started slowing down again, so i managed to quit the application and the system came good again...

Then I left it for a few hours after I got home. When I opened it up I was presented with the following... (no the black box wasn't photoshopped - this image is "as is")

http://users.tpg.com.au/tonbre/mbperror.jpg

I was a concerned about this... even with this strange screen the beachball cursor was still spinning and I could move it around the screen. My guess would be faulty RAM. Seems like I got a dodgy machine as I also have dead pixels I'm yet to be able to get fixed and now the machine is flipping out! (thats my luck!) But before I come to any conclusions I was wondering if anyone else could share their opinion with me on what they think the issue could be related to. I also use a mStand to keep my laptop well elevated, so I don't think heat is an issue... the warmest the machine gets is 72c, but usually runs around 47c with iTunes, Safari, iChat etc running...

Comments greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

MrJesseRoss
27th March 2008, 10:18 PM
Didn't this happen to someone else's MBP this week? There was a series of pics on flickr and everything...

edit: It did! http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/46470-please-help-mbp-15-penryn-serious-problem-lcd-graphic-logic-board.html

Seems to be the same model as well. 15" MBP Penryn.

jrad
27th March 2008, 10:21 PM
I did a search of the threads before posting but didn't find anything related... maybe I wasn't looking hard enough!

I've been without internet for the last week before wednesday so I failed to see it... would be interested in seeing it though!

Edit: HAHAHAHAHA "HALP" ! :p

smrawlinson
27th March 2008, 10:38 PM
With regards the Spotlight indexing issue, I remember a mate mentioning the same problem recently and I believe they found that it was related to the windows partition - spotlight kept indexing it each time, or something like that. I think it was once they prevented this from occurring (I guess by setting that partition as 'private' in the spotlight preferences) that this fixed the problem. Sorry I can't be more exact/certain, but maybe it might help.

With regards to your more severe problem - good luck!!

Jaali
27th March 2008, 11:03 PM
just waiting for the day that mine has pretty colours on the screen like that! Seems like a bit of a trend

jrad
3rd April 2008, 08:39 PM
Bit of an update... As I uploaded that image to the web, Apple took me a bit more seriously when I called them (so they could see it) and after much discussion decided to replace it (as I had also been waiting more than 3 weeks for a replacement LCD panel to come in...)

If anyone else is having this problem I suggest they speak to Apple too - you don't spend 2 / 3k+ on a faulty machine!

MrJesseRoss
3rd April 2008, 09:35 PM
That's a great outcome. Good work!

mechcon
3rd April 2008, 09:47 PM
Yikes, I got a new penryn mbp too, but a 2.4ghz.. I hope that doesn't happen in a hurry :\