PDA

View Full Version : 500 gb HD computer can only see 127 gb. Help.

carlow1
27th March 2008, 05:18 PM
Hi all I've just installed a 500 gb HD into external HD case and hooked it up to my mac using firewire. Problem is that it's only reading the HD as 127 gb capacity. Any ideas how I can get it to recognize the full 500 gb? I should also point out that the external case used to be an external CD burner. I've set the jumpers on the drive to master, if that makes any difference.

meinrosebud
27th March 2008, 05:21 PM
Operating system please?

Byrd
27th March 2008, 05:24 PM
Sounds like your FW chipset does not support 48-bit LBA, which limits it's capacity to 127GB. If you can find a firmware update for your particular model enclosure, which might work, otherwise time for a new FW enclosure.

Changing the jumpers etc won't do much I'm afraid :p

JB

carlow1
27th March 2008, 05:39 PM
meinrosebud Operating system please?

Using 10.5.2

Byrd Sounds like your FW chipset does not support 48-bit LBA, which limits it's capacity to 127GB. If you can find a firmware update for your particular model enclosure, which might work, otherwise time for a new FW enclosure.

Changing the jumpers etc won't do much I'm afraid

JB

I had a feeling that it would have something to do with the firmware. Bugger!! :(

ClockWork
27th March 2008, 05:40 PM
What if he removes the Jumper Block(s) completely so there is no Master or Slave, or puts the Jumpers into Cable setting, Byrd ?

Rayd
27th March 2008, 05:43 PM
you can try this, im not sure if it will work its designed for ATA devices, but you can always give it a go.
Intech Software Corporation : Products (http://www.speedtools2.com/ATA6.html)

carlow1
27th March 2008, 05:54 PM
Rayd you can try this, im not sure if it will work its designed for ATA devices, but you can always give it a go.
Intech Software Corporation : Products

Thanks Rayd I'm checking out the link now. The drive is actually an ATA drive, so it may work. :)

Jimbo
27th March 2008, 06:06 PM
save some time...

Q. Is an ATA drive which is installed in a FireWire or USB case supported?

A. No, only drives which are connected to the Apple built-in ATA bus are supported.

Brains
27th March 2008, 06:26 PM
Time to buy a new external drive case. I recommend the NewMotion Odyssey, available from Try&Byte in Sydney. It uses the Oxford chipset, and supports parallel ATA (normal IDE) hard drives up to 500 GB.

I like the Odussey over things like the icecube Pleiades because 1) it is black, 2) it uses a no-screws construction, and 3) has an internal PSU and fan.

ClockWork
27th March 2008, 06:40 PM
Time to buy a new external drive case. I recommend the NewMotion Odyssey, available from Try&Byte in Sydney. It uses the Oxford chipset, and supports parallel ATA (normal IDE) hard drives up to 500 GB.

I like the Odussey over things like the icecube Pleiades because
1) it is black.

Buy any colour of spray paint and the casing can even be made to look like terracotta !

2) it uses a no-screws construction.

That's just asking for vibrations.

3) has an internal PSU and fan.

Icecube's PSU is external, so if it fails, it's just a matter of ordering that part and plugging it in without opening the enclosure at all. Fan & no screws = a lot of HDD vibrations. The Icecube's heat is quickly dispelled through both its thick aluminium casing and its full pleiades grill.

Still - Try & Byte are VERY good and the Choi clan are very smart indeed. :)

Byrd
27th March 2008, 07:03 PM
What if he removes the Jumper Block(s) completely so there is no Master or Slave, or puts the Jumpers into Cable setting, Byrd ?

Generally, the result will be one serve of sweet FA, ClockWork :) They usually like master/slave if feeling picky.

JB

Brains
27th March 2008, 07:03 PM
I've been running a pair of them here for over two years, CW, they' are perfectly silent, no vibration whatsoever, and the PSUs are ticking over great guns. The case uses slide-locks to hold the panels together, and there is no vibration from the hard drive against the internal metal frame because the support-pins have rubber buffers. I've heard idling G5's that are louder.

My housemate is on his sixth or seventh IceCube ... the drives never die but the electronics or the PSU have failed so many times it's become a running joke between us. Mind you, he's a working digital DJ so the things are subject to extremely harsh conditions on a regular basis.

carlow1
27th March 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys. It does indeed look like I'll have to buy a suitable HD case. At least I can start using the 127 gb available to me right now for backup. It may take a few months for me to require space above 127gb, so it gives me time to look and save for a new external case.

Thanks again :)