PDA

View Full Version : What PDA do you use?

Byrd
23rd March 2005, 11:20 PM
Out of interested, do people still use PDAs, or use use their mobiles now?

I use a Palm V daily, for work and my contacts. It's been dropped, stepped on, scuffed but still works perfectly. I use the JackFlash ROM dumping utility to give approx 3.5MB of storage space, which is more than enough. I sync it with my PC, never bothered to get a USB adaptor for OS X, probably due to the software's general crappiness.

What do others use?

JB

Ed01
23rd March 2005, 11:39 PM
I use a HP Ipaq h2210

en.elle
23rd March 2005, 11:55 PM
I use my IPOD :D

Its not the best PDA i must say..... But I'm not a heavy PDA type user.

Will be getting the Sony Ericsson K750i when it comes out in Aust and most probably be using that as my main pda/organiser. :thumbup:

mbd
24th March 2005, 12:02 AM
Been using Palms since the Palm Pilot Professional. Now using the Tungsten T3. Very nice. Thinking about a Treo650 in future....

luztra
24th March 2005, 01:10 AM
PDA: T2 and T3 (only using T3)
Phone: T610

I am ordering a Treo 650 as soon as I have sold my T2, T3 and T610.

sikosis
24th March 2005, 10:39 AM
I use a Palm T Tungsten and I use it all the time with the Navman GPS.

I'm waiting for the Palm 6 devices to show up before I upgrade.

Prior to the Palm T, I had a Handspring Visor with Visorphone - that's when I realized convergent devices aren't practical yet.

fairy1
24th March 2005, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I use a Palm Tungsten T . I believe it keeps me organised :D
and when u dont want to carry a laptop around you can always view ur docs, xcl on the the device.

I use Avantgo
Docs to Go
Handy Shopper
Splash Suite
I have zlauncher
and some other stuff
and i view all my photo's from my ixus 4 on my pda when im bored

As for using a phone as a pda, i dont think it does a great job compared to a pda alone. Phone Pda's are just to big .

titan44
24th March 2005, 09:34 PM
I Had a Visor, then a Toshiba Pocket PC, i just bought a Motolola V3, it has some PDA functions, we'll see how it goes, I never could get into the groove with my PDA's, I've never found one that functions in a way to fit my demands/lifestyle . God i wish apple would roll out new newtons.

Graham
24th March 2005, 10:06 PM
Palm Zire72 as I have to do some Palm development for work.

trotkiller
24th March 2005, 10:12 PM
Dell Axim x50v

Kreats
24th March 2005, 10:37 PM
I used to have a palm vx and liked it a lot, but the battery died and I kept on losing my data :( Never really replaced it.

My bro has a h2210 and although the hardware seems pretty nice, windows PocketPC edition is nowhere as near as nice as palmos.

I would like another PDA sometime in the future however, they are extremely handy for ebooks, notes, whatever. GPS addons are getting cheaper too. The decision would be easy if palm made decent hardware.

luke_in_tas
25th March 2005, 12:11 PM
Currently using a Palm Tungsten|T.

I am looking to update, however, as the battery seems to be worn out. Only lasts about a day-and-a-half of normal use now (without charging), where it used to last a week. Considering a Treo 650, but need to find the money to pay for it somewhere.

I have considered dumping the PDA and just going with a phone that will sync contacts and calendar, but I do use a few other programs on my Palm which would be hard to go without. Particularly:
- Passwords Plus
- FileMaker Mobile
- AvantoGo
- eReader (previously Palm Reader)

For any other users of Palm OS devices out there, you might want to check out the Australian Palm OS Users' Group at http://www.auspug.org/.

Arkhum_Eramak
25th March 2005, 12:40 PM
I use a Tungsten W. It is a terrible convergence device. I can use it as a phone but HAVE to use a handsfree to answer the damn thing. As with many peoples on this forum, I'll be replacing mine with a Treo 650 as soon as I have either the money or a 1/3 deposit for Harvey Norman :)

gmask1
25th March 2005, 01:02 PM
Over the years I've tried a couple, the latest was the hp 4150. Each time it ends up shelved, as I just don't have enough pockets to carry it.

Having said that, my two great successes with PDAs are: 1 - taking the 4150 to London, and using it to navigate around the city perfectly; and 2 - integrating it with a phone in the Siemens SX45.

So anyway, I've got a couple of PDA's laying around, perhaps I should sell them...

hawker
25th March 2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Mar 24 2005, 08:34 PM
God i wish apple would roll out new newtons.
Well, if this iPhone ever comes out :P

cmetom
25th March 2005, 05:27 PM
newton.. tho it's more of a geektoy.

was great on my trip overseas last year though, i wrote my travel diary on it.

gehenna
25th March 2005, 06:44 PM
i use my phone....motorola a1000....

its pretty spiffy i must say! does everything i need it for and more that i'll probably never use!

theres a couple of extra handy features like "airplane mode" which means basically it turns off the phone part of it and lets you access all other areas...means i can watch movies and listen to music on planes :)

queshy
2nd April 2005, 11:16 AM
I use an x50v, upgraded from a zire 71

bergerac
2nd April 2005, 01:12 PM
I had a Dell Axim X5 for about a month but I ended up selling it and getting my iBook and a SE K700i . Now i just pull out my laptop if i need anything more than my contants or calender from my phone.

richbowen
14th April 2005, 12:53 PM
Until it was left on the roof of the car (not by me!) I was very attached to my Ipaq 3600 series PDA. Rather than replacing the PDA I decided to wait until I had switched (well, switched-back actually).

12 months after switching and I have decided not to replace the PDA. Maybe once per month I find myself wishing I had a spreadsheet, but apart from that my iPod Photo is doing all I would have done on the PDA.

- contacts and calendar via iSync
- word processor documents via iSync into the iPod notes
- photos via iTunes/iPhoto
- oh, and music!

I am not really missing other PDA functionality, because I don't really need them. Yes, it took a while to distinguish between "like" and "need", but I can't really be bothered carrying another gadget.

applecollector
14th April 2005, 01:00 PM
i use a newton 130

TorranceTM
14th April 2005, 01:13 PM
Blackberry 7230 - But NOT as a phone :thumbdn:

InfiniteAnthony
14th April 2005, 01:50 PM
I am thinking of buying a Nokia 9500 or Sony Ericsson P910i for my next phone/pda. My main use would be remote email and ssh services over GPRS. Does anyone have comments regarding either of these units?

Im leaning towards the Nokia 9500 for the full keyboard but my Sony Ericsson T610 has been a awesome little trooper and has not failed me so I feel the Sony Ericsson will be more reliable.

I had a Palm V before but Im just a fan of a keyboard for character input, that funny hand writing stuff is just frustrating and not quick enough.

markh
14th April 2005, 01:57 PM
Used to have a Sony Ericsson P800. Was a cool phone. still wish i had it (was a work phone). So atm, after getting rid of my t610, just using t68i and ipod

Tommy PDA
14th April 2005, 02:22 PM
I'm currently on my third palm
I use a Palm Tungsten T2 i use it for games internet,i use it as my phone,and my Navman GPS. :thumbup:

harps
14th April 2005, 02:31 PM
I'm currently on my third palm, a Tungsten T, having previously owned a IIIx and then a m505 since 1999.
TT has survived numerious falls and even a battrey failure resulting in all data being lost.
Currenlty looking at upgrading to the T5, but waiting to see if built in WiFi is including in the next model.
Sync's perfectly to my new Mac but I've given up trying to get to work with work PC using Lotus Notes (yes their is still companies that use the antiquated product!!)
Have thought about "smart phones" but I'm not so keen on carrying around a brick that does both. Prefer larger screen, etc on the palm which can easily talk to my phone via bluetooth enabling web/e-mail access.

Snowy28
14th April 2005, 02:35 PM
I use my SE T630 for the calendar features and stuff, it's my stripped down PDA :)

macrob69
14th April 2005, 03:08 PM
I use my Newton 2000 :)

It syncs beautifully with my G5, has a gorgeous additional keyboard, modem, bluetooth - and uses the best hand writing recognition out!

xatz
17th April 2005, 03:01 AM
I use a Sony Clie t415.
It is small and was cheap when I bought it on ebay.
It handles all the application that I need as a student.
I also have a cool Japanese Dicitionary program called PAdict.
It is open-source so is free to download. Great for anyone learning Japanese.

House
17th April 2005, 05:12 AM
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

Linux based PDA. Compact Flash and SDcard built in, 64mb onboard, full keyboard (one of the first)

Currawong
17th April 2005, 06:59 AM
I picked up a Palm Tungsten E at work cheap the other day. Not that I need one, but some of the features, like Acrobat reader, make it useful for reading magazines when I have nothing to do. Having some of the info that resides on my computer to hand every day has been good too.

Paxton
17th April 2005, 08:20 AM
I had a Newton in the late 90's, and progressed to a Palm V in 1999. It was a great PDA, never let me down but it was getting really slow (I was running the 'Launcher' software), which wasn't helping. I won some money through my work early last year, and decided to confine the V to my desk draw. It was replaced with a Palm Tungsten E, which is a GREAT PDA. It is stuck with a Dell as its base station (work lap top) and with a 512Mb expansion card in the slot, acts as a second iPod. I would not get a HP, Compaq or Dell PDA, not only for mobile windows, but because the HP and Compaq both have volatile memory, which if the battery goes down, you had better hope you backed it up before you loose everything.

-Andrew

Currawong
17th April 2005, 09:33 AM
Ultimately, I'd love to have a Treo 650 to replace both my phone and the Newton 2100 - indeed, I'm very lucky to have scored the Tungsten E. I'm amazed at the sync speeds, even when installing apps, the charging through the USB port and the general common-sense functionality of the thing. Though I tried to use the Newton 2100 I had, it was just too clunky and inconvenient.

petruk
17th April 2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by luke_in_tas@Mar 25 2005, 11:11 AM
I am looking to update, however, as the battery seems to be worn out. Only lasts about a day-and-a-half of normal use now (without charging), where it used to last a week.
Noooooo, don't scare me like this! That was my biggest fear when I bought my Tungsten|T, how long would the battery last for in the long term? I'm still getting a days worth out of mine, but that includes 3+ hours of listening to music. I guess I get maybe 5 days worth if I don't use processor intensive programs. I also love mine for typing in lecture notes, watching the occasional movie, a fully functioned graphing calculator, email on the run, newspaper on the run and standard functionality such as Address Book and Date Book. I reckon I've saved it's own cost by saving me the individual costs of everything I would've had to by, let alone the SIZE! My family reckon I'm nuts, and the alarm on the thing drives them nuts, but there's no way I could go back... please don't die on me :( Survived a couple of falls, including a bad one onto the station platform last week - not a scratch. The hard cover protection was a good investment :blink:

Tommy PDA
17th April 2005, 11:06 AM
I own a palm T2 i use it for games , internet , email , MP3 , Videos , SMS , GPS , PDF files. I am about to buy a new palm the
[Treo 650] B)

v1llage1d1ot
17th April 2005, 11:59 AM
I used to have a nokia 3650 with a 128 MMC. It worked a treat for all PDA functions (except the keypad took a bit to get used to). I used it to play games, watch TV episodes and listen to music(kind of). Syncing of contacts and calendar worked great. It was a lil bulky, but I alwys knew where it was!! Now i have a nokia 7610 with a 256MB card, its great, Just wish the thing would sync, hopefully once i get tiger it'll work, then it'll be my ulitmate toy.

I want to get a PDA, but cant really justify it, it would prob get trashed at work anyways

petruk
17th April 2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Tommy PDA@Apr 17 2005, 11:06 AM
PDF files
PDF? Any app that can actually properly do PDFs with graphics on Palm? I was always disappointed, even with Adobe's reader, although its Pocket PC equivalent is good I believe...

edit: dem apostrophes, never notice until afterwards!

Currawong
17th April 2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the Palm version of Acrobat reader is dodgy and slow, but not unusable. I might go googling for better software when i can be bothered.

decoy4000
21st April 2005, 09:35 AM
I have been a PDA fan for a long time now.
HP 95LX HANDHELD
HP 100LX HANDHELD
NOKIA 9000i
NOKIA 9110
CASIOPEA E-125
HP IPAQ 3890
HP 720 HANDHELD
NOKIA 9210
HP IPAQ 3900 Installed IPAQ Linux (WOW)
HP IPAQ 5450
HP IPAQ 5550 togehter with P800 Sony Ericsson
Sony Ericsson P900
current
HP IPAQ 4700 600mhz CPU shweet and the resolution is great.

And the best of all I never used them as a dairy, it was mostly just to play.
Before you go thinking I have to much money, 80% was supplied by work

Byrd
21st April 2005, 09:39 AM
I've been running the Afterburner overclocking hack on my Palm V for years without any problems. It's @ 24Mhz IIRC and the graphics have less wait states so everything is snappy and very responsive.

Oh and the JackFlash ROM utility is a godsend as well - 2MB + 2MB ROM is heaps for me :)

Did once have a Newton 110, what a waste of time - Palm made Graffiti software for it before they released the Palm Pilot. It wasn't the UI that was the problem, but rather the lack of decent software and very poor battery life.

JB

turbo89
21st April 2005, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Mio168 Pocket PC with GPS Navigator, does anyone know if they are any good? Strathfields have them on sale for $699.00

decoy4000
21st April 2005, 03:59 PM
I played with the GPS stuff i while back, and have to say if you want to go the MIO route rather go PPC+GPS
And get the software from third parties such as Co-Pilot Lite.

sikosis
21st April 2005, 04:47 PM
I use the Navman with my Palm T and it rocks ...

PDFs on the Palm are dodgy as ... From memory, I think I used Plucker to get better results ...

Tommy PDA
21st April 2005, 10:28 PM
PDFs on the Palm are dodgy

I use Acrobat Reader for Palm OS it works like a speeding Car for me.

applecollector
22nd April 2005, 12:37 AM
Yea i use a Newton 130 great little machine, it'll do what you need!

A7MAD
22nd April 2005, 03:01 AM
Qtek 1010 & IMATE PPC's I also use them as my mobile phones...

sikosis
22nd April 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Tommy PDA@Apr 21 2005, 10:28 PM

I use Acrobat Reader for Palm OS it works like a speeding Car for me.
ones with images ?

maXim
22nd April 2005, 02:42 PM
Motorola MPx200 for me... Windows Smartphone, so syncs fine with calendar etc

maXim

simonpeng
4th May 2005, 02:36 AM
I have used plenty PDA before including both PalmOS and PocketPC,
I am too lazy to write them down, if you are auspug member then you know what I've used.

The first one I have is Palm V and all the way to Treo 650 now,
currently having Sony clie NR70, Palm m500, Toshiba e740 and treo 650.

I "THINK" Treo 650 will be the one can last for at least one year for me.

Arkhum_Eramak
4th July 2005, 01:44 PM
Well, after the Tungsten W did me well for two years I have finally upgraded to the Treo 650. Hopefully it can do me for ten years!

stayfrosty
4th July 2005, 02:47 PM
I have been using my Treo 650 for 3 weeks now and I must admit that it has been the best PDA I have used.

I had the Palm IIIC, Sony Clie PEG 615 and became stupid and tried out a pocket PC PDA being the HP Ipaq 4150. Pocket PC's are just way too cluncky.

Anyway, I am very happy with the Treo. Battery life is amazing and I have all that I need in one device.

I was put off by the keyboard when I first saw the Treo, but after trialling it a bit I got use to it and it is excellent to use. Not too big and not too small.

raep
18th July 2005, 07:37 AM
I have a Palm Tungsten T, mainly synchronised with a Windoze box at the office, but backed up to a Powerbook when away from the office. I used to have a Palm V which gave me fabulous service but just ran out of space, particularly when considering the options available now with expansion and portable document programs like Documents to go.

I use Beyond Contacts on the Tungsten and it is a great Outlook substitute. I wish it could also sync with Entourage.

If anyone wants a fantastic bluetooth comms manager for a palm look at MoHiSpeed from www.novamedia.de which really makes setting up any bluetooth Palm and any phone simple. I use it with a Razr V3.

Alessiman
18th July 2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by stayfrosty@Jul 4 2005, 02:47 PM

I had the Palm IIIC, Sony Clie PEG 615 and became stupid and tried out a pocket PC PDA being the HP Ipaq 4150. Pocket PC's are just way too cluncky.

I thought the same thing when I trialled the 1st XDA phones a few years ago.

But I have the XDA O2 IIs right now and it is without doubt the best phone I have had. So much so I sold my ipod as I didn't have a need for it anymore

pipsqeek
15th August 2005, 09:17 AM
I just recently bought my wife a HP iPAQ rx3400.

I think its great. But I can't install anything on it. I think a battery status bar would have been nice. And she really needs a world timezone app, one with a spread of the earth with various points she can select and display the time with.

It runs that Windows mobile 2003 OS. I guess its okay. I preferred the Palm OS, but its for the wife, so its her choice.

The built in wifi, bluetooth and iRDA is good. We were able to transfer her contacts in her phone with iR. I can transfer documents from the Mac via BT, and surf and email via Wifi.

The Palm on the other hand (specifically the T5 and the E2 I was looking at). You either had the wifi card in there or an SD memory card. Not both. Which I think in this day and age sucks big time, especially for the T5. :(

This is the first PDA we've ever owned, so I'm still trying to get my head around installing apps. Everytime I download one from a PDA site, it says its not a PDA app. I'll blame Windows for my lack of knowledge and inabilities :P for when I was at the shop trying them out with the wife, I was able to download something for the Palm and install it easily.

pipsqeek

lavo
15th August 2005, 10:58 AM
Newton 2100 :-) Still the best PDA out there. Granted, it is a brick compared to today's PDAs, but nothing still comes close to the handwriting recognition and general use. Blows people away the first time they see one in action!

ifejer
31st August 2005, 04:50 PM
As a happy switcher waiting on Apple to release a PDA...would feel guilty buying anything else...:))

Richard Weil
9th September 2005, 01:38 PM
I use a Palm t3 all the time - it never leaves me. But iSync and Palm do not work well together, for example no support for iCal categories and other flaky behavior which annoys. javascript:emoticon(':angry:')

It is beyond me why Apple doesn't market an updated Newton - I want it I need it now!!

Dream on. javascript:emoticon(':huh:')

I use a Motorola Razer v3 mobile - the pda functioning is bearly adequate but it isync's perfectly, no fuss but iCal categories javascript:emoticon(':(') as the Motorola phonebook is very average :angry:

I am pinning my hopes on Missing Sync (Mark/Space) as they are well aware of the problems.

Cheers

daemon1
30th September 2005, 02:30 PM
sharp zaurus c3000... runs linux, syncs with mac (zmacsync) and with lotus notes (for work - using lipsync), has 4gb hdd... full keyboard, compact flash and SD ports... have wireless cf card and bluetooth card to connect via gprs with my phone...

its a full blown laptop not a pda...

also have an SL-5500 - use this predominantly for taking notes when on the run...

glenmorrow
30th September 2005, 02:36 PM
Ah the world of PDAs is a confusing one.
- do you get one that is a phone as well
- do you go pcoket pc or palm os?
- can it do GPS?

all these questions!! GPS would be great, especially when I'm on the tram, it could tell me when my stops coming up.

anyone have a suggestion?

i know there's been discussion here about how convergence of technologies works/doesn't work. THing is if I have an iPod in one pocket, a mobile in another and a PDA as well...surelly it'd be good to eliminate one of these.

sikosis
30th September 2005, 03:33 PM
With Phone ? - I would say no, but I've been there done that with the Handspring. I prefer my devices to be seperate. Twice the battery life !

Pocket PC or Palm OS ? - I would say PalmOS, cos Windows sucks on the desktop and on the PDA. Once again, a personal choice, Windows option will be very Windows-centric.

GPS ? - Both Pocket PC and Palm do GPS, as long as they have bluetooth. A bluetooth GPS receiver is then used in conjunction with it.

It may not be able to tell what stop is coming up, as they work off the roads. If you're on a tram track, the GPS software will keep telling you to go to the nearest road. This is a guess, as I'm from QLD and trams are like hen's teeth.

In saying that GPS is awesome. I hate the refidex. I use to get lost all the time, now with my GPS, I never get lost (except that one time at band cam... err when I was in Bundy and the map data was wrong :( )

I've been loving my Lifedrive, watching TV shows and movies on the train. That's certainly turned a few heads :thumbup: .... unfortunately, there is a battery issue with my LD and it's now gone back under warranty, so no movies for me. Back to the Shuffle for the train in the meantime ...

bam
30th September 2005, 03:56 PM
Well it might not really be considered a PDA by some but i use a blackberry 7100g. It allows for me to make phone calls and receive emails all on he go with a claendar function and all the other nice to haves. The only thing it does not have is a camera but no great loss. I love my blackberry and would be lost without it. :lol:

Bart Smastard
30th September 2005, 04:31 PM
Don't have one at the moment but have been thinking about getting a cheap old Palm to use as a remote control for my home hi-fi.

I read somewhere of an app that will "learn" functions from IR remotes.
Has anyone here done this? Is it worth it? Should I just buy a proper universal remote?

mechcon
30th September 2005, 04:36 PM
a1000 and its now able to sync with tiger!! BOOYAH!!

Bart Smastard
30th September 2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by mechcon@Sep 30 2005, 04:36 PM
a1000 and its now able to sync with tiger!! BOOYAH!!
Really???
I was looking at getting one but was put off because it wasn't supported by iSync (according to the Apple website - Has a quick look. Nope still not listed).

I did read about some crazy-arsed java script that I found after a Google search that worked with iSync.

Evad
1st October 2005, 11:30 PM
XDAII at the moment.

Been using it with a 1.2ghz iBook (via missing sync for PocketPC) since Jan/Feb this year. So far it serves my needs.

Dave

glenmorrow
16th October 2005, 04:06 PM
Hello world!
Ok, here's a scenario (I still haven't got a PDA yet but am working on it):
I have a desktop PC at work, WinXP, Outlook, bla bla bla, and at home I have my PowerBook. I use Outlook for mail, calendar, contacts and tasks at work, and at home, use Mail for all my email but presently don't tend to use iCal or any sort of calendar. I always believe that 2 diaries can lead to all sorts of problems.

So, can I get a PDA that will sync up with Outlook at work, work emails, tasks and calendar, and also sync up with the Mac at home?

What are people's thoughts on this??

Cheers,
Glen

Rayd
16th October 2005, 04:33 PM
i use my ibook for everything :D inc, GPS nav, adress books, iCal's etc

Johnny Appleseed
16th October 2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by glenmorrow@Oct 16 2005, 04:06 PM
So, can I get a PDA that will sync up with Outlook at work, work emails, tasks and calendar, and also sync up with the Mac at home?

AFAIK you can only synchronise a PDA with one desktop. But you could, for instance, synchronise your Address Book contacts with an iPod and then import them into Outlook in vCard format.

Also, PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net/) has lots of options for synching with iPod, PocketPC etc.

twilhelm
16th October 2005, 07:36 PM
HP 4350 - groovy one with the keyboard. Tiny one so you feel like you're SMS'ing to type, but it is excellent for webbrowsing / messaging etc. at home on wireless. You get used to the keyboard pretty quickly - just as with typing SMS's on a Phone!

Romka
7th November 2005, 11:40 PM
another vote for ipaq

morpheme2004
7th November 2005, 11:48 PM
Loving my XDA II mini :thumbup:

DJY
8th November 2005, 12:31 AM
Any problems syncing a XDA or O2 with a Mac?

I have been considering a new phone for what feels like an eternity. My SE T610 has served me well. The ROKR was always going to be a shocker I think with Moto...
and I the updated RAZR and SLVR seem to have the same terrible GUI.

Even am thinking about the SE P910, or saw a P990 the other night via the web... not sure of their availability though yet.

carneagles
8th November 2005, 12:43 AM
I had a Palm IIIx for years, it was brilliant. I upgraded to a Zire 71, which was okay, but I wanted WiFi and the only available adapter for that model (the Sandisk one) was absolutely atrocious - I was having soft resets every five minutes, and had bent paperclips all over the place.

I got rid of it after 12 months and got an iPaq rx3417, which has been absolutely brilliant. Rock-solid with WiFi. It was a shame to let the Palm line go (and I dropped quite a bit of money on replacing my Palm software in doing so, as well) but this new device is great.

morpheme2004
8th November 2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by DJY@Nov 7 2005, 11:31 PM

Haven't tried it, I use it to synch with my work computer (which unfortunately runs win 2000).

Makes more sense to synch with the computer I keep more appointments on.

It can be done, though, using the missing link (missing synch?) program mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

dlmuller
8th November 2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by DJY@Nov 7 2005, 11:31 PM

I've got an i-Mate PDA2K (same as an XDA IIs) and it sync up with my Powerbook quite well using PocketMac. I mainly use bluetooth for syncing, as I've had some issues with the USB reliability of connection. But otherwise it works great.

BTW I picked up a copy of Salling Clicker 3.0 which now allows me to use the PDA2k as a bluetooth remote for Powerpoint, Keynote, iTunes, Iphoto, DVD Player etc on the Powerbook. It's fantastic. I use it 2-3 times a week. Awesome! :thumbup:

glenmorrow
8th November 2005, 08:05 AM
The new Palm TX is a nice PDA, it syncs up with Entourage, iCal, Address Book, etc, has wifi, bluetooth and just seems like a nice PDA. That's the one I went for, had it for a couple of weeks now. Very happy with it. Battery life is also quite good.

ifejer
9th November 2005, 03:37 PM
glenmorrow, congrats to your TX! What is your usage/day or /week to get a good battery life? All reviews I read complain about battery life being poor on TX.

Kreats
22nd November 2005, 12:10 AM
Battery life is the main issue for me.. bought a IIIxe on the cheap ($10 bucks). AAA rechargeable batteries last forever.

Does all I need it to, there is heaps of great software & it doesn't crash.

Plus - if it gets destroyed/lost it's no big deal.

melted.marsbar
12th December 2005, 09:45 PM
NEC MobilePro 300E

mac_man_luke
13th December 2005, 01:30 AM
HP iPAQ hx2490, great machine so far!

wireless, bluetooth, windows mobile 5 etc

ajs
4th January 2006, 06:55 AM
[DISCLAIMER] - I have never owned or used a PDA, so I'm visiting here for some advice.

My wife just "inherited" a hand-me-down of a Toshiba e570 (Pocket PC). It looks pretty good. :)
However, she also bought her first computer (a 12"PB at a great price) yesterday! :D

My question is, can I get them to play nice with each other? I found PocketMac (and also saw it mentioned in this thread) and want to know how reliably it works and what any experienced users have found out about it.

TIA. :)

gehenna
4th January 2006, 08:57 AM
me and the other engineer at my work picked up 2 Dell Axim X51's just a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be a very good little setup, although i only use it for bejeweled2 LOL

sikosis
5th January 2006, 09:10 AM
I'm still loving my Lifedrive ... especially now that I'm exporting EyeTV recorded programs and watching them on it B)

Byrd
5th January 2006, 10:50 AM
I was given a Palm Zire 31 by my girlfriend for Christmas :thumbup: My ever faithful Palm V was dying a slow death of buttons snapping off and a poor battery life. Considering I've used it daily for five years, this is a pretty good effort and it will be given a nice farewell.

The 31 a great step up from the Palm V, and coupled with a $99 SD 1GB card it's become great for MP3 playback and the quality of playback is excellent.

One shortcoming is the low resolution screen - a lot of games don't run on 160 x 160 nowadays, but that's OK - it's meant to be for work :)

JB

whitemoo
22nd January 2006, 10:24 PM
I use my XDA mini,
a mobile and organiser -)

although i dont have a mac (yet), i hope i can sync it nicely with one.

also...HI ima new!
hope i get my mac soon :)

gerryicle
29th January 2006, 10:13 PM
I just picked up an almost-new TX plus a 1gb RAM card on ebay - first PDA I've had since the very first Palm came out (not counting a Newton that isn't really useable). So far I'm very happy with it. The only drawbacks are in nutty program design eg. the Blazer browser doesn't remember where you were on a page when you go back to it and while the mail app does IMAP, it is limited in support for things like multiple synced folders.

Bluetooth and wi-fi are working very well. While I can do irc and MSN, those apps are a pain without a keyboard.

One thing I noticed very quickly is the lack of much good freeware for the Palm platform.

Kreats
1st February 2006, 12:52 AM
Nothing beats a palm pilot (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PALM-PILOT-ONE-OF-A-KIND-NOT-FOUND-ANYWHERE-ELSE_W0QQitemZ5860754741QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem).

Groan...

Applecider
10th February 2006, 06:42 PM
I use a blackberry. Very good as it serves as mobile email.

Never tried to sync one with a Mac, anyone know if it's possible?

macman
10th February 2006, 06:49 PM
Hi,

Another vote for the Treo 650. Agree with the early comment about the battery life (over a week usually). Can easily check my dot mac email and takes a reasonable photo.

On the downside, seems to have issues syncing with Missing Space 5, iCal and Datebk5 which is pretty disappointing. Thinking of going back to Calendar and seeing if this helps.

But overall, best PDA Ive owned.

Now if I can just get my Newton 2100 to talk to my PB 17" .......

Cheers Macman

cosmichobo
10th February 2006, 06:50 PM
macrob69 - How do you hook the Newton to the G5??

After a few posts on here I got to thinking of dragging my MP2000 out and using it for taking notes in lectures now I'm a student again. But then realised it's serial port only...

I was wondering if I could hook it up to my G3 powerbook (Pismo) via InfraRed but wasn't sure how to do that either...

luke_in_tas
10th February 2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Applecider@Feb 10 2006, 06:42 PM
I use a blackberry. Very good as it serves as mobile email.

Never tried to sync one with a Mac, anyone know if it's possible?
I haven't tried it, but have a look at PocketMac for BlackBerry (http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmblackberry/).

melbmac
16th March 2006, 06:19 PM
I've had a couple of palms and even an old handspring, I recently converted to filofax and have never been happier (thats coming from someone who loves gizmos as well).

slashingthefox
23rd March 2006, 11:28 PM
I have a Zire, it was the first Zire that came out, it's got 2mb space on it. Totally bottom of the range, I actually had it in storage for a few years but brought it back out a few months ago. I use it as a eBook... I'm bit of a sci-fi geek in that I love to read fan fiction (stargate Atlantis!), so I use TiBR (Tiny Book Reader) to read fics. Plain text files are converted to even tiny'er files, so I can actually fit a shitload of fan fictions on it and I read them on bus and train, so it's great for that! The only gripe I have it's black and white with no BACKLIGHT, I can't read in the dark :-(

Syncs perfectly fine with my iBook and all that, I'm starting to use it's other features a bit more, like the calender and address book, and making notes and lists, etc. And it's always displays the right time. Have no games on it tho', I can put games on it, just have never got around to doing that... maybe this weekend. I wonder if there is something like Solitare i can put on it.

pb12lover
24th March 2006, 12:07 AM
i just bought a Palm TX, and its great bar the annoying screen whine. I use it for work (calandar, Documents to Go, Tasks) and for pleasure (Music, basic games).

The only issue is the browser, Blazer. I cant get it working with my uni internet. i had the VPN software and that worked well but the browser doesnt have proxy settings, which cancelled out 1/4 of its usage.

Other than that, for a mac user that needs a mid level handheld, get the TX. By bargining i got the unit + 3 yr warrenty for $460, so bargin, bargin hard :D

PS: Buy Missing Sync for Palm. i use it and its great. much better than isync or palm software.

bassmanbliss
3rd April 2006, 04:11 PM
I just got myself a HP rx 1950 which I am having a lot of fun with. Syncs great with my pc laptop but will have to wait for the missing sync to support Windows Mobile v.5

Dubhousing
3rd April 2006, 04:35 PM
Palm Treo with Missing Sync - brilliant

d_mini
3rd April 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm using a Palm Tungsten E2 which syncs beautifully with OSX and my Motorola V3....

doslene
21st April 2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bassmanbliss@Apr 3 2006, 04:11 PM
I just got myself a HP rx 1950 which I am having a lot of fun with. Syncs great with my pc laptop but will have to wait for the missing sync to support Windows Mobile v.5
Um, Yeah, I bought a frozen banana, and when i bit into it, I found THIS!
It looks like a foot.
It TASTED like a foot! Which i didn't really mind, but I'm pretty sure I said "no nuts"!

:D

Hey bassman, what's the rx1950 like anyway? I'm thinking about getting one myself for one million dollars... is it worth it?

cmetom
4th June 2006, 12:52 PM
HP RX3715 for a few months now. It&#39;s good, I bluetooth it to my cellphone and use MSN & gmail on the bus <3

looking to sell it soon tho cause i need the money more than i need it :(
if doslene or anyone is interested.. windows mobile 2003se, bluetooth, wireless.

thanners
20th June 2006, 09:54 PM
I have a Dopod 818 Pro (HTC Prophet). I got it from Singapore at the end of last year. It can do pretty much anything; phone/wifi/bluetooth/camera/music/videos. The only thing I wish it could do standalone is GPS. Oh and sync with Mac OS X :/

ClockWork
20th June 2006, 11:02 PM
Uses portable notebook - entirely made of paper - shock proof - has address book at back - came with spine insertable pencil for taking notes on numerous paper tablets. Pencil has erasure capability. Fully compatible with OS X and eyes.
(Great for jotting down fake phone numbers distributed by chicks at parties).

[2 out of 10 for my originality on this one]

ClockWork

Kempy
13th July 2006, 10:37 AM
Palm M515 - old one but very nice system - Palm OS works extremley well with Mac OSX USB link.

Very user friendly. Cannot do without. :)

Have now migrated it to sych with now up to date and contact, http://www.nowsoftware.com/ which is very good, cross platform - we run macs and PC&#39;s on XP in office and connecting to our server via the net as well, but another story <_< which needs it&#39;s own Forum here.

It is written primarily for Mac and the PC version is now well over a year old but still keeping up with a few acceptions.

Email help is very good and just as well.

tcn33
13th July 2006, 11:23 AM
Just got a HP rx1950 and quite frankly, it&#39;s a total POS. It quits in the middle of emails, stalls when opening the browser and needs a soft reset - it&#39;s a total dog.

Not sure if it&#39;s woefully underpowered (with only 32MB memory that&#39;s what I&#39;m thinking it is) or if it&#39;s actually defective. Either way, it&#39;s a month old and I&#39;ve stopped using it out of sheer frustration.

vid
9th August 2006, 05:38 PM
Sorry to sound dumb but I have never used or really ever seen a PDA close up, can you use spreadsheets etc on them or something like Filemaker?
I was at a trade fair in Melbourne over the last few days and someone I met had a "table" PC and had written a Database program (she said she used access to do it) for it, this had all product details in it and she could input customers orders into it (with a stylus) and give them a value etc, it was absolutely brilliant, could I do something like this on a PDA?

scopegate
9th August 2006, 06:06 PM
messagepad 2100 B)

titan44
9th August 2006, 06:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcn33 &#064; Jul 13 2006, 11&#58;23 AM) 194396</div>

Just got a HP rx1950 and quite frankly, it&#39;s a total POS. It quits in the middle of emails, stalls when opening the browser and needs a soft reset - it&#39;s a total dog.

Not sure if it&#39;s woefully underpowered (with only 32MB memory that&#39;s what I&#39;m thinking it is) or if it&#39;s actually defective. Either way, it&#39;s a month old and I&#39;ve stopped using it out of sheer frustration.
[/b]

Yeah i&#39;ve got the rx1950, and it&#39;s (sort of ) good for checking emails over wireless, and that&#39;s about it. I got it as a cheap ebook(pdf) reader, but i came up with the same conclusion - not enough memory, although it did run tomtom ok, i had a sdio combo card in it ( GPS with 512 meg ) that worked quite well, and the tomtom software is really quite cool.

tcn33
9th August 2006, 06:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(titan44 &#064; Aug 9 2006, 06&#58;10 PM) 203039</div>

Yeah i&#39;ve got the rx1950, and it&#39;s (sort of ) good for checking emails over wireless, and that&#39;s about it. I got it as a cheap ebook(pdf) reader, but i came up with the same conclusion - not enough memory, [/b]

It&#39;s vaguely useful for checking email, but I cannot get pdf ebooks to even open.

I emailed HP about my various problems with the damn thing over a month ago - nothing. Never again.

godsdice
9th August 2006, 07:36 PM
i have a DELL AXIM X50V and an imate JAMin....the imate is a little under powered but having a mobile built in is great. i sync it to OSX with missing sync and works great

Geoff3DMN
30th January 2007, 03:27 AM
I have a Hp RX 3715 which is mainly used as an ebook reader and a portable diary.

I use missing sync so I can sync it with my MacBook Pro.

I read 90% of the books and 50% of the magazines I buy on the pda these days... no more carrying half a dozen heavy books in a suitcase onto the plane when I go away for a week.

OK... I take 1 book or magazine for the part of the flight where 'all electrical devices' have to be switched off :)

lavo
30th January 2007, 08:50 AM
Well, if this iPhone ever comes out :P

:-) I love reading old quotes from 2 years ago!

jayda
31st January 2007, 11:08 PM
I tried the Dell Axim X50v for months. I just couldn't get into the hang of it. Fun to play with for awhile and then it just became a PITA. I ended up giving it to my kid and he used it like an mp3 player until he bought himself a gigabeat last year.

About 5 people I know bought themselves an Axim after seeing mine! I know a couple of them still use them.

antechinus55
31st January 2007, 11:12 PM
my fingers or if you are kiwi my fungers

QueenOfSwords
1st February 2007, 12:21 AM
Palm iiic... though syncing it to my MBP is wobbly at best. I haven't found anything I want to replace it with, unless there's a Windows Mobile v5 equivalent of DateBk6 ?
The Palm Lifedrive just got EOLed too, maybe there will be a fire sale of those to hold me over until a v2 iPhone.

bassmanbliss
1st February 2007, 12:29 AM
I now use a Dopod 838 pro as my PDA/Phone. I sync it at home to my mac and at work with an exchange server. I still have an rx1950 that I used to use but no longer. I spose I should get round to selling it one of these days.

pcutrona
1st February 2007, 12:54 AM
I use a Palm TX and find that it works perfectly for all i need (specifically calendar, appointments etc)

dlmuller
1st February 2007, 08:04 AM
iMate JASJAM for me. Syncs up nicely with Missing Sync. I'd be lost without it!

zillatron
1st February 2007, 08:39 AM
I use an i-mate K-JAM at work. Its good, would be great if windows mobile was a little more polished.

I use an iPhone outside of work.**

**Please note this post contains forward looking statments.

Z :thumbup:

Erwin
1st February 2007, 10:58 AM
I have an O2 XDA II Mini - I'm trying to get it to sync using PocketMac Lite to my MB Black DuoCore2 but it's not working via USB - Bluetooth works intermittently but I can't sync AvantGo with it.

happyfrappy
13th March 2007, 06:53 PM
First PDA: Palm m505, retired in 2005
Current: Dell Axim X50 'mid', 1GB CF card(various ebooks & PocketStreets maps-I travel quite a bit)

Future PDA: still undecided if I'll go for a Smartphone from O2 or wait for something from T-Mobile. I'm too tied down with Sony Ericsson as nothing from Nokia seems remotely interesting.(I hate Moto)

thephydeaux
13th March 2007, 07:26 PM
I use a palm VX that has just died after over 5 years of use. I am looking around for a replacement, and will probably get another palm I think as it will be compatible with what I have already.

Mind you if I wait for the I-Phone .......

Tim R

The Wuzz
13th March 2007, 07:34 PM
I use Sony Ericsson M600i - It work well for email etc - I use exchange active sync to sync to our work server. I wish I could sync it with the mac a bit better.

If you use windows or connect to a Exchange server then its probably best device around at present.

themacuser
13th March 2007, 07:45 PM
Palm TX - truly awesome because of the wifi inbuilt. Combined with my phone, I can do anything from the devices In my pockets...

Astrobuoy
13th March 2007, 07:51 PM
Lifedrive all the way mang

harps
13th March 2007, 07:55 PM
As advised previoulsy I'm on my four palm but am currently have problems with syncing due to the size of my calendar (15600+ entries). Initially my T5 crashed but this was due to the SD card becoming faulty. T5 is now working fine but it continually times out when syncing due to the size of the calendar. I use Missing Sync to sync and know that their is an option to select to sync a number of weeks before & after the sync date with Entourage. Data outside this range is "lost" from the palm but I can't get a answer as to whether or not it is "lost" from Entourage as well.

djkai
1st May 2007, 01:53 AM
O2 XDA II Mini, works great. Love the video quality using tcmp for watching movies and also having the features of Windows mobile helps as well. Also using GPS on it with tomtom has great battery life surprisingly and my mobile. Too bad there isnt wifi, need a sdio for it.

gerryicle
6th May 2007, 03:30 PM
Palm TX. Love the Wi-fi - it's saved my neck a couple of times :)

internet
16th June 2007, 08:08 PM
Samsung Blackjack
it's pretty good for a windows mobile device

will replace with an iPhone if it can do push-email with my work exchange server!

nicwithsticks
16th June 2007, 08:52 PM
I had an iPaq rx4240 - for about a month. Was a great little unit for the time I had it. Turffed it when Apple announced the iPhone as I knew it would be going to waste when that arrived. I made most of my money back on it, so I was happy.

I miss it from time to time, but the iPhone will leave it in the dust when it eventually arrives methinks.

glenmorrow
16th June 2007, 09:07 PM
I have the Palm TX and I do like it. Though more and more I'm thinking I'll get rid of it and just use my mobile phone (n70) as it does calendar, task list and basic notes stuff which for me is fine. Will suffice until the iPhone hits town. Hopefully the iPhone will have support for some sort of word processor/spreadsheet app as well as all the other stuff.

Glen

Oscar
22nd August 2007, 07:09 PM
imate JASJAM FTW!!

zootman
22nd August 2007, 08:16 PM
Just retired the ol' HP4155 for a Samsung Blackjack - nice little unit - though I dont sync it with my iMac as I use it for my work and it syncs with Lotus Notes on a Lenovo thinkpad running XP.

Cheers

Dubhousing
22nd August 2007, 08:27 PM
I use an iphone which syncs with work's Lotus Notes and home's Entourage. It is seamless and faultless.

Sigh. One day...

froggy
23rd August 2007, 04:31 PM
Just bought a Palm Tungsten E2.

I probably didn't need it as my Nokia 6230i does most of what I want, but going to add GPS to the Palm and for about the same price, I get a great PDA and GPS.

Having lots of fun with the PDA, but I wish that I could get the sync thing to work. Instead, I have a sinking feeling that the syncing isn't going to work very well. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Andrew

Ruotian
27th October 2007, 06:31 PM
iPDA touch, really.

mjankor
27th October 2007, 06:33 PM
iPDA touch, really.

I do too.

aafuss
20th January 2008, 01:03 AM
I use a Palm Z22-that I sync with Palm Desktop in 10.5.

spilla
20th January 2008, 01:19 AM
I do too.

And another iPod Touch PDA user here. :)

lansd2000
20th January 2008, 02:27 AM
iPod Touch!!!! yAy (:

kevin7
20th January 2008, 03:03 AM
HP iPAQ rx3715...
almost 3 years, but it still works great...

kingkangkong
20th January 2008, 08:35 AM
use to own a dopd c720w but swapped to a nokia e61i cause i didnt like using the missing sync.

the e61i does pretty much everything i need it to do sans the ugly WM5 system.

QueenOfSwords
20th January 2008, 08:44 AM
And another iPod Touch PDA user here. :)

Yep. Used to use Z22 with DateBook 6.

Pimlico should make an iPhone/iTouch version. I miss icons and color-coding on the calendar. Other than that, the iTouch is like the Tungsten C I couldn't afford.

DJY
20th January 2008, 08:47 AM
With the recent new apps - I will finally be able to trial use my iPod touch the way I hoped to originally!

Until recently I have used phones and iPod to view calendars, contacts... but I don't regard that as PDA... but now my iPod Touch has Mail, Notes, along with of course Safari, and the other already installed apps - I'm about to travel and try it out!

A mate and I were discussing it only last night. He still has a Palm but having sync issues... I have a very cool iPod Touch that now does IMAP email! I think he wants one - so I plan on sending him emails from it on my trip using hopefully Qantas free WiFi.

Phase
20th January 2008, 08:49 AM
iTouch of course.

Geoff3DMN
20th January 2008, 09:08 AM
Just updated my HP RX3700 (from earlier in the thread) to a HP iPaq 112 Classic.

Basically in the traditional light 1910 size/style but with a 624MHz Processor and seperate video accelleration it's got much more power.

Works well with missing sync for OS X too :)

bigmouth
20th January 2008, 02:34 PM
I have a Palm Treo 680 (which replaced my IMate), great little phone and at the moment I prefer to use Outlook 2007 on Parallels and sync with HotSync on the PC side...works a treat, although I'm waiting for Office 2008 for Mac so I can start using Entourage - eventually I'll convert myself completely to Mac !

Linux_insidev2
20th January 2008, 02:41 PM
iPhone ^_^

ozron
24th January 2008, 10:18 PM
I've got a Dell Axim x50v.

My significant other has a Palm TX.

Haven't tried syncing either to our Mac's yet. It looks like there's nothing from MS and virtually no 3rd party options for either that rate highly. And for the Palm there's the antiquated Palm desktop software which I'm wary of trying.

I'd be interested in hearing what success people here have had syncing a Palm or PocketPC device with Mac OS. We're running Leopard btw...

Keving
24th January 2008, 10:20 PM
iPhone :D

will
24th January 2008, 10:21 PM
I have a palm lifedrive - have used Newtons (still have them) I so wish that someone would port Powerforms into open source or something that could run on the lifedrive and os x

grimmy
24th January 2008, 10:28 PM
I've got a Dell Axim x50v.

My significant other has a Palm TX.

Haven't tried syncing either to our Mac's yet. It looks like there's nothing from MS and virtually no 3rd party options for either that rate highly. And for the Palm there's the antiquated Palm desktop software which I'm wary of trying.

I'd be interested in hearing what success people here have had syncing a Palm or PocketPC device with Mac OS. We're running Leopard btw...

Markspace missingsync works a treat

bartron
24th January 2008, 10:50 PM
New iPod touch user here.
I can say without a doubt it is probably the best PDA I've owned (and I have owned a few starting from a Palm III)

Currently getting used to the keyboard which has taken a day or two (works better for me in landscape mode) but already faster than I ever was with grafiti or calligrapher on CE.

bel.plews
24th January 2008, 10:53 PM
i use a newton 2000 ... been waiting a long time to upgrade to the iphone :eek:

Byrd
25th January 2008, 09:23 AM
It's time to retire my faithful Zire 31; the battery is suffering and I will get a replacement battery in due course, as my girlfriend has expressed she would like to use it.

I bought a cheap Windows Mobile 5 device a while back (Eten G500+), which is great for GPS but the PIM functions are so clunky and a huge overkill. So I'll keep using this as a GPS (which it does wonderfully!).

So ... what to use now? I really dislike WM5 and wanted a cheap upgrade, richbowen was selling a Treo 600 Palm OS 5 smartphone/PDA which I snapped up. A new (dirt cheap!) keypad + housing sorted out the problems with it, and I'm back to using my every faithfull Palm OS which is just so simple and easy to use.

JB

spargo
25th January 2008, 09:51 AM
Nokia 6120 Classic. Does the job well combined with a DELL laptop.

ozron
25th January 2008, 11:44 AM
Markspace missingsync works a treat

I've read many negative reviews about this software though. Which model PDA & Mac OS are you using?

harps
25th January 2008, 11:56 AM
I'm interested by this discussion.
I have been a palm user since 1998, but upon the "death" of my T5 I haven't got a replacement and have been considering devices such as the Asus Eee PC as it may be more practicle.
But after reading the above posts I'm now looking at the iPod Touch, a device I had never considered.
For those that are using the iPod Touch, is their an application for the saving & editing word and excel files?
I loved the Documents to Go program on the palm and haven't been able to find a suitable replacement other than using Google Docs, but that is only suitable for when you are online and you then need to manually save files back to the computer as their is no sync function.

lavo
25th January 2008, 12:05 PM
i use a newton 2000 ... been waiting a long time to upgrade to the iphone :eek:

I've just gone back to one (thanks TimwallG5!). I combine my N95 with the Newton, and I have no real need for a laptop. The HWR is still miles ahead of anything else :D

froggy
28th January 2008, 07:19 PM
Markspace missingsync works a treatI didn't like missingsync, but that's been discussed elsewhere. I'm using the standard Palm Desktop, but using it mainly as a backup for my Palm.

cheers,
Andrew

bigdude101
28th January 2008, 07:29 PM
I don't actually mind MissingSync though I'm using version 3. It works for my (embarrassingly old but fully featured) Compaq iPAQ 3870. I bought it off eBay for less than the cost of a Palm Z22. It has (give or take) similar features to an iPod Touch if I bought a Wifi SDIO card and a 16GB CF card, albeit less streamlined.

woofy
2nd February 2008, 12:06 PM
Hmm I had a Palm m505 and then moved to an HP Ipaq 1950 due to the IT people at work not supporting Palm. They then rolled out Palm Treos.....and my branch got us all SE m600is..which work well in reality and aren't as hefty as some of the others...i do wish we had wifi at times though.

Redman
2nd February 2008, 12:19 PM
Did have a O2 XDA IIs but upgraded it to a Blackberry 8300 which sync's nicely with my work's Lotus Notes

GeoffP
3rd March 2008, 06:14 AM
Dopod 838 Pro with WM6.
Once iPhone is 3G capable with official SDK then the Dopod is gone...

The Fluffy Duck
3rd March 2008, 08:30 AM
ipod touch :)

step_andy
3rd March 2008, 09:29 AM
I don't use a PDA, but my wife does.
I started her of with Visor Edge, then moved up to Palm T5. The other day bought Palm TX, but it was DOA.
Now considering switching her either to Touch or iPhone

Erwin
3rd March 2008, 09:31 AM
Loving my XDA II mini :thumbup:

Same here. But would move to a 3G iPhone once it comes out.

Macscot
4th March 2008, 12:49 PM
New iPod touch user here.
I can say without a doubt it is probably the best PDA I've owned (and I have owned a few starting from a Palm III)

Currently getting used to the keyboard which has taken a day or two (works better for me in landscape mode) but already faster than I ever was with grafiti or calligrapher on CE.

Can you update calender entries via ipod touch or just view?

Amy feedback would be great....

gehenna
4th March 2008, 01:03 PM
I use a BlackBerry 8310 Curve with a few 3rd party apps to make it a bit more usable. First is Empower which gives me much nicer email options like HTML viewing, etc. Also Opera Mini for browsing, and Idokorro Mobile Desktop for remote desktop to my home and work computers, and IM+ for all my instant messaging accounts. Oh, and Macberry - a lovely Mac theme for the UI :)

Kuma
4th March 2008, 01:07 PM
Im using my Touch and MBP for my PDA
but the iPhone will take their place when its done..
and macscot yes the Touch is now a fully fledged iphone - the phone....

blakat
4th March 2008, 03:49 PM
I use an O2 XDA Zinc, running WM6, currently synced direct to exchange at work. is by far the best PDA / phone combo i've used (purely for full exchange sync over the air) which is a total endidtement on how bad the PDA/phone world really is. Once there's an iPhone with GRPS and a SDK and full mail for exchange i'll be all over it, as I truly couldn't deal without live email on my phone now.

Macscot
4th March 2008, 08:40 PM
Im using my Touch and MBP for my PDA
but the iPhone will take their place when its done..
and macscot yes the Touch is now a fully fledged iphone - the phone....

Thank you very much for the feedback..

DJY
4th March 2008, 08:56 PM
Can you update calender entries via ipod touch or just view?

Amy feedback would be great....

Both
You can view existing entries... amend existing entries... and create new ones.

craigd
4th March 2008, 09:00 PM
i use my macbook and iphone AWESOME

zmit
29th March 2008, 02:37 PM
up until recently i was using my macbook and a Dopod 838pro - tweaked with WM6 homebrew, SPB software (phone suite and pocketplus) and TomTom. the wireless was flaky as hell, so it was effectively useless.

i have now sold that. and in transition at the moment....

def
29th March 2008, 02:51 PM
I use a Palm T3 (the one that slides). It's been pretty good - no major complaints but I have an iPhone on order and that will take over. The T3 will end up on e-bay most likely.

I will lose some functionality. I have Documents to Go on the Palm which allows me to edit Word and Excel files (in a slightly limited way) and there are a few games. But the main use is as a PDA and with the iPhone I can combine two devices (and adding two more with internet access and iPod functionality). I do like the external keyboard I've got with the palm - very nice.

fletch371
30th March 2008, 09:02 PM
I have found the iphone-esque HTC Touch a formidable resolution of reducing the pda and phone pocket full. The music playing is an unnecessary inclusion. But a great little package.

rabit
30th March 2008, 09:11 PM
dopod 810 ( PDA phone and GPS )

krafty
30th March 2008, 09:28 PM
until i got the iphone, it was a palm lifedrive everyday. now it is collecting dust for my grand kids to sell on zeebay when that day every comes.

themacuser
11th April 2008, 11:25 AM
Nokia N800 because...

It's 400MHZ, it runs Linux, it has 16GB of storage (2x 8GB SD in 2 fullsize SD slots), it has a camera, it has wifi, it has bluetooth, it has a good web browser, it runs Skype and Gizmo Project, it has USB host, it has an 800x480 screen, capable of reading pressure levels (MyPaint is awesome - a pressure-sensitive painting program!), it has an FM radio... and despite all that, the batteries last with it switched on (yes, on with the screen dimmed) all day, and it's small enough to fit in your pocket!

And it can do this:
http://gm.stackunderflow.com/maemo/basiliskii/n800.jpg

Basilisk II FTW :D

Vaempyr
12th April 2008, 10:33 PM
Dpopd 838Pro, cooked WM6 ROM.

Exchange sync via HSDPA is great!

max2314
13th July 2008, 10:15 PM
I use a Tungsten W. It is a terrible convergence device. I can use it as a phone but HAVE to use a handsfree to answer the damn thing. As with many peoples on this forum, I'll be replacing mine with a Treo 650 as soon as I have either the money or a 1/3 deposit for Harvey Norman :)

If you are still using the Tungsten W, how do u sync palm desktop software with the iphone?

Kensei
16th July 2008, 03:10 PM
Imate Jasjam at the moment (but hope the iphone 3G will replace it eventually but will have to wait for skyscape to update their medical apps for the apps store, and for ms office viewing support).

Previously:

Original Palm Pilot
Palm Vx
Palm Tungsten
Toshiba e750
Dell x50v
O2 Atom Exec

Yes I like me my PDAs. ;p

Piratbyran
16th July 2008, 03:45 PM
I use my newton.

DJY
16th July 2008, 06:46 PM
I guess my previous post in here (like many) is now out of date...
I've moved from the iPod touch to the iPhone 3G!

If only Notes would sync now! Come on MobileMe!!!