PDA

View Full Version : 4 x 30in monitors connected to Mac Pro

PurpleLogix
27th March 2008, 11:52 AM
Hello all.

I would like to know is it possible to connect 4 x 30inch ACD to a Mac Pro, but be able to display the image as a whole, not 4 separate screens displaying different images.

The Configuration will be 2 ACD on top of each other.

What specifically is requred to make this happen, apart from 3 video cards. How do I make the image spead out over the four screens? Is it a simple as arranging the display system pref and maximise the application to spread out over the 4 screens or do i need something like a Matrox Quad graphic cards.

This is required for work to perform presentations and talks etc....

This is one of the options available. The other is a 50in LCD connected to a Mac Pro. I thiink im leaning towards an 50in LCD as it will be cleaner and easier to look at without the displays silver borders cutting the view.

Work is paying for this beast so I guess money is not a problem.

Thanks in advance

El Guardo
27th March 2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah - it can be done (http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/hiperwall/).

bertofski
27th March 2008, 12:04 PM
Hello all.

This is one of the options available. The other is a 50in LCD connected to a Mac Pro. I thiink im leaning towards an 50in LCD as it will be cleaner and easier to look at without the displays silver borders cutting the view.

Thanks in advance

thats what i would do, seeing a screen with a big cross in the middle of it would give me the shits

decryption
27th March 2008, 12:06 PM
A 50" LCD will only have the resolution of 1920x1200. You'd see the same information as you'd see on a single 23" screen, just double the size.

However, with 4x 30" LCDs, you'll have an effective desktop space of 10240 x 6400. Wayyy more useful.

To do it, you need to put two video cards into your Mac Pro. So configure it with the "2 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB".

Mac OS X will recognize the 4 displays and enable you to stretch an image over them all simply by dragging the window out over the screens.

Out of interest, what are you using it for? I really want 4x 30" displays :D

mac_man_luke
27th March 2008, 12:21 PM
A 50" LCD will only have the resolution of 1920x1200. You'd see the same information as you'd see on a single 23" screen, just double the size.

However, with 4x 30" LCDs, you'll have an effective desktop space of 10240 x 6400. Wayyy more useful.

not for presentations like the OP suggested

Id go a 50 or 60" plasma or lcd - cost less too

decryption
27th March 2008, 12:25 PM
not for presentations like the OP suggested

Id go a 50 or 60" plasma or lcd - cost less too

Oh yeah, so it is. Yep, go with the biggest display you can afford, as long as it has a DVI input, it will work with any Mac.

BLINDER
27th March 2008, 12:29 PM
There are distinct reasons for choosing either or.
Think through the reasons before proceeding.
If you need the pixel space (and I know I do with various programmes esp Final CUt and Photoshop) then choose the 4 monitor configuration. I always use 2 monitors myself and wouldn't be without them.
If you find that you're doing a lot of modeling, scientific stuff, weather patterns etc you need the pixels of course.
A 50inch screeen alone is not going to cut the mustard cause it offers fewer pixels on its own than a 30inch LCD as Decryption stated.
If ALL you're doing is presentations then go with a single screen set-up. Less complicated. Cheaper. And cause it'll be high-def anyway - you'll be very pleased with the result.

gehenna
27th March 2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah - it can be done (http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/hiperwall/).

that's fricken sex right there!

frenchtoast
27th March 2008, 12:39 PM
Why 4 x ACD 30" and not consider something else like the Samsung 305T (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computerperipherals&type=monitor&subtype=lcdmonitor&model_cd=LS30HUBCB/XSA)?

sendai
27th March 2008, 01:54 PM
Why 4 x ACD 30" and not consider something else like the Samsung 305T (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computerperipherals&type=monitor&subtype=lcdmonitor&model_cd=LS30HUBCB/XSA)?OP, if you do need the resolution, the Samsung is a better option as it has a relatively thin black-bezel. The Brushed-Aluminium bezel on the Apple display would be far more noticeable (nevermind the price.)

leon
27th March 2008, 01:56 PM
Why not a projector firing at the wall?

PurpleLogix
27th March 2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks again for the replies.

It will be used for Powerpoint presentations and the other main reason is we are going to connect a camera to a microscope and project the image onto the screen.

I work in a pathology lab and we get all kinds of weird and strange blood films. What we will be looking at is red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, malaria etc..... So the more pixel space the better.

But having said that we need to find a camera that puts out a nice picture and they are a little hard to find as the one option we had wasn't up to it. Didn't help that the sales guy knew absolutely nothing regarding mac's. (we support macs, no problems blah blah blah, but when it came down to it, they didn't even know how to launch the app)

The director is a Mac freak so it was his idea going the 4 screens. I was thinking projector/ huge LCD screen.

I'm just glad to be able to get some mac's back into the area. I just hope Windows is as easy to make the screens all work together as some of the camera options are windows only.

We'll wait and see what happens next.

leon
27th March 2008, 02:41 PM
I work in a similar field to you (Biochemistry during the day, and Diagnostic Microbiology at night) and would go the highest resolution possible. For looking at the slides I would go with the 30" ACDs. As for the camera will it be taking still images, or is it a live capture (essentially a video camera) which will show movement of the stage as you hunt around?

PurpleLogix
27th March 2008, 02:58 PM
Hey fellow pathology worker. You probably guessed that I'm in Haematology dept.

We will need both stills and video.

Thanks

sendai
27th March 2008, 03:00 PM
But having said that we need to find a camera that puts out a nice picture and they are a little hard to find as the one option we had wasn't up to it. Didn't help that the sales guy knew absolutely nothing regarding mac's. (we support macs, no problems blah blah blah, but when it came down to it, they didn't even know how to launch the app) Have you considered something like this: 35mm SLR Camera Adapters for Microscopes (http://www.meijitechno.com/camera_adapters.htm)? Or do you need something higher resolution than what a high-end 35mm digital slr can provide?