PDA

View Full Version : Optimal RAM configurations for Host vs VM

MissionMan
26th March 2008, 06:06 PM
Hi there

Has anyone played around with optimal RAM configurations for host and VM environments? I.e. with 4GB ram, whats the optimum config as to give which system what? At the moment I'm running 2 on each but wondering whether it can be run faster (it seems lightening fast as it is :) )

Regards,

MissionMan

Huy
26th March 2008, 06:12 PM
2GB OS X, 2GB VM sounds pretty good to me.

3GB OS X, 1GB VM will suffice (depending on your usage).

In fact, I would go so far as to say 512MB is enough for the VM. At least, Fusion works the same way with 512MB or 1GB allocated to it.

I even put 2GB towards the VM and it seems the same to me (I don't do much on the Windows side, only SAP frontend and some Windows software that I need for uni e.g. Rational Rose, Visio).

MissionMan
31st March 2008, 09:18 AM
After quite a bit of testing, the optimum seems to be 1.5GB XP, 2.5GB Mac for anyone who is interested. There are performance drops if you go outside of that either way. There is no official benchmarking, I simply did comparative testing on setting up two separate VM's with the same software. I expected the higher XP ram to be better but the 1.5GB setup was far quicker, particularly with software installations.

snark
31st March 2008, 09:59 AM
Hi there

Has anyone played around with optimal RAM configurations for host and VM environments? I.e. with 4GB ram, whats the optimum config as to give which system what? At the moment I'm running 2 on each but wondering whether it can be run faster (it seems lightening fast as it is :) )

Regards,

MissionMan
Depends on the guest OS you are running. For XP, I wouldn't bother allocating more than 1 GB to the VM, unless you are running some particularly heavy applications.