PDA

View Full Version : OSXBMC challenges FrontRow

Brains
26th March 2008, 04:12 PM
For those who have played with XBMC on a modded XBox, you will be no stranger to a new media-centre challenger to Apple's FrontRow -- OSXBMC (http://www.osxbmc.com/). If you're running 10.5 on an Intel Mac, then you can download it and give it a try. The lates build now works correctly with online movie trailers.

[Edit: remove stupid image error]

gameon
26th March 2008, 04:14 PM
dloading now

worth a shot

Lutze
26th March 2008, 04:26 PM
/ off topic.

I love the hot linked image telling off.

Tiprya
26th March 2008, 04:31 PM
looks fantastic - definately giving this a run

Thanks for the heads up!

Do we just download that build from 8 days ago? seems theres been more recent development than that

EDIT:

It's intel only - I got owned

Now make me forget about it until it is a UB...

vargz
26th March 2008, 05:55 PM
Im a big fan of xbmc. I see osxbmc as my next choice as a media center once my xbox is retired. I've been following the dev of osxbmc and it is happening quite rapidly. Still no full screen but I can say with certainty it will shit over frontrow in no time.

avolve
26th March 2008, 06:17 PM
if this goes UB, do ppl think it will run well on a G4 Mini (i assume it will stay 10.5 and not compatible with 10.4?)

[i should have read more of the FAQ—not likely/no chance for PPC]

Tiprya
26th March 2008, 07:01 PM
if this goes UB, do ppl think it will run well on a G4 Mini (i assume it will stay 10.5 and not compatible with 10.4?)

[i should have read more of the FAQ—not likely/no chance for PPC]

Yes, it runs on an XBox with a 733mhz processor in more or less this form so I imagine a g4 mini would run it - although as they say in the FAQ, probably not full HD content

As I've already expressed, I'd be very keen to try this out if they make a PPC compatible version

avolve
26th March 2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, it runs on an XBox with a 733mhz processor in more or less this form so I imagine a g4 mini would run it - although as they say in the FAQ, probably not full HD content

As I've already expressed, I'd be very keen to try this out if they make a PPC compatible version

From the FAQ (http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions)

Will you support PPC and/or Tiger?
It's unlikely that we will ever support PPC. Many people think that it is as simple as "checking PPC" in XCode, it is not. Additionally, as stated above one of the goals of OSXBMC is to support HD playback on most hardware - this is just not likely on legacy Mac PPC hardware. Tiger support is not a near term goal, but it is a possibility in the future. It's obviously quite possible to get OSXBMC to work on Tiger, but the team has determined that it is also non-trivial. As we get closer to a 1.0 release we will poll the community to see how much demand there is for Tiger support.

raj
26th March 2008, 07:14 PM
I tried XMBC, it's nice, took me back to my modding days but to be perfectly honest I prefer FrontRow. Perhaps I'm just an interface whore but I'll live with it for now.

What I'm really waiting for is a Leopard version of AppleTV4Mac!! There's a Tiger version here (http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/2008/03/25/atv4mac-1-2-available.html), has anyone tried it?

gameon
26th March 2008, 07:48 PM
i prefer front row as well

m4dvillain
26th March 2008, 08:28 PM
my only issue with it is the use of the apple remote leaves a bit to be desired. for instance, you can't scroll down a list of files, you have to keep pressing down each time.. if you have alot of files, that gets annoying pretty quick

you also can't do queueing etc without the mouse (frontrow cant queue at all), which also annoys me. until they make it better suited to the apple remote, i'll stick with frontrow

NetGX
27th March 2008, 08:13 PM
This app could have potential, I still prefer frontrow though.

Hopefully apple will bring the new frontrow from the appletv to a leopard update.