PDA

View Full Version : mail vs outlook

gianni
26th March 2008, 10:52 AM
mail vs outlook :: which has better functionality on a mac?
It occurred to me that it would be good to compare mactalk member experiences with the 2 mail programs... after I had to setup my partner's little PC (yek) laptop with entourage - all seemed a bit clunky and difficult ... stuff that thought was basic and so easy in mail... :cool:

and why?

Huy
26th March 2008, 11:06 AM
Mail.

And I think you mean Outlook, on the PC.

gianni
26th March 2008, 11:20 AM
tks .. outlook it is. brain dead today. cheers

camel
26th March 2008, 12:05 PM
i def prefer mail...

simpler, and more efficient.. love its integration with OS x, just don't get that with Outlook/Entourage.

mail FTW!!!

Granny Smith
26th March 2008, 12:11 PM
i def prefer mail...

simpler, and more efficient.. love its integration with OS x, just don't get that with Outlook/Entourage.

mail FTW!!!

Slightly off topic ... but at the same time slightly on topic: I run VMWare Fusion on the Mac so I can run Outlook and retrieve e-mails form the work mail server (and so I can join the office VPN) and have the email app synch with the work server. Can Mail do the same (and can I join the office VPN using OSX instead of Windows) - because if there was an opportunity to ditch Outlook (and XP), I'd be all for it.

Lutze
26th March 2008, 12:16 PM
I use Mail - but then I'm not a power email user - if I was I think I'd find the baby Jeebus crying at the limitations that Mail has.

1. I would like to see read receipts requestable in Mail.

2. I'd prefer it if after you've done a search in Mail and cleared that search it took you back to the most recent mail instead of leaving you abandoned at the "found" mail. (endless scrolling later drives me nuts)

3. Export of Notes in Mail to iPhone. (probably not a Mail issue, but would be bloody handy!)

4. Apple supplied Hotmail integration. *I'm sorry Apple, I have used hotmail since I started on the interweb and all my friends know my address*

Still... other than those small gripes, and yes I use the hotmail plug-in, I find Mail to be fast, clean, easy to use.

andrew.wilson
26th March 2008, 12:20 PM
4. Apple supplied Hotmail integration. *I'm sorry Apple, I have used hotmail since I started on the interweb and all my friends know my address*

Still... other than those small gripes, and yes I use the hotmail plug-in, I find Mail to be fast, clean, easy to use.

The hotmail thing is not an Apple issue, it is M$ being C U Next Tuesday's and living in 1998 when it comes to email. They revoked POP access to anyone who updated to Windows Live Mail and now charge $20 a year to access it, $20 a year for POP!? I'd love to know what they are smoking.... :rolleyes:

On topic, yes Mail is better if you are just a casual user.

Peter Mount
26th March 2008, 12:22 PM
Would Mail be better for security compared to Outlook? I remember Outlook and Outlook Express has some vulnerablity to Activex but I think this can be turned off with an option in the menu. I know Thunderbird is supposed to be better in this regard so how does Mail go with this?

Thanks

MrJesseRoss
26th March 2008, 12:24 PM

Isn't that a limitation on Hotmail's part? I think you have to pay nowadays to get access to your Hotmail/Windows Live account via an email app, rather than the browser.

edit: beaten. damn you, andrew.wilson!

Lutze
26th March 2008, 12:25 PM
The hotmail thing is not an Apple issue, it is M$ being C U Next Tuesday's and living in 1998 when it comes to email. They revoked POP access to anyone who updated to Windows Live Mail and now charge $20 a year to access it, $20 a year for POP!? I'd love to know what they are smoking.... :rolleyes:

On topic, yes Mail is better if you are just a casual user.

I agree with you, but then see old Outlook Express integration with Hotmail, and the HTTP plug in (http://blog.danielparnell.com/) that manages to access it - and has not been closed down by M$. Though I guess that it's all advertising revenue washed away for them.

andrew.wilson
26th March 2008, 12:34 PM
I agree with you, but then see old Outlook Express integration with Hotmail, and the HTTP plug in (http://blog.danielparnell.com/) that manages to access it - and has not been closed down by M$. Though I guess that it's all advertising revenue washed away for them.

From what I have read and tried myself, this only works if you have an account they haven't upgraded to Windows Live Mail yet. I was forced into it because I singed up for the Live messenger Beta back in my Windows days, so now I am stuck with no POP email.

If you have a Live Mail account, when you go to use the HTTP Mail plug-in it just gives you an error saying this service is only for subscribers and links you to a page where they want your money to access POP. It says this;

“Could not connect to ‘My Hotmail Account’
Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at Microsoft Online Services Home (http://join.msn.com/general/Email”)

It's a complete and utter joke and makes me wonder why Hotmail is still so popular, but then again I do agree it is a pain in the arse to wean yourself off, just when I think I have everyone knowing one of my other 10 IMAP and POP enabled email addresses, someone sends something to my hotmail!!!!

melbmac
26th March 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm a casual user so mail suit me perfectly.

Lutze
26th March 2008, 01:17 PM
From what I have read and tried myself, this only works if you have an account they haven't upgraded to Windows Live Mail yet. I was forced into it because I singed up for the Live messenger Beta back in my Windows days, so now I am stuck with no POP email.

If you have a Live Mail account, when you go to use the HTTP Mail plug-in it just gives you an error saying this service is only for subscribers and links you to a page where they want your money to access POP. It says this;

It's a complete and utter joke and makes me wonder why Hotmail is still so popular, but then again I do agree it is a pain in the arse to when yourself off, just when I think I have everyone knowing one of my other 10 IMAP and POP enabled email addresses, someone sends something to my hotmail!!!!

The weird part for me then is... I use Windows Live / Hotmail but the HTTP plugin still works for me. However I used the plugin from before that... and my Hotmail account is as old as the hills.

I think most of my problems with Mail would be resolved if I was to release some of my Scottishness from the world and stump up the $ for .Mac.

Just to clarify - I still like Mail app... just wish it did a bit more.

gehenna
26th March 2008, 01:20 PM
I've been using entourage 08 for a while at home and it's definitely got much better exchange integration than mail.app. I quite like it to be honest. Not so great on the calendar and address book but i just choose the option to replicate entourage calendar and address book to ical and mac address book and bobs your proverbial.

Vaempyr
27th March 2008, 08:06 PM
Slightly off topic ... but at the same time slightly on topic: I run VMWare Fusion on the Mac so I can run Outlook and retrieve e-mails form the work mail server (and so I can join the office VPN) and have the email app synch with the work server. Can Mail do the same (and can I join the office VPN using OSX instead of Windows) - because if there was an opportunity to ditch Outlook (and XP), I'd be all for it.
I use Entourage 2008 to connect, via VPN, to the Exchange 2003 serve my work uses. The Exchange server must be running OWA.

It took a bit of stuffing around to get it to work - making sure that WINS and DNS and VPN and mail server settings were just right, but now - for mail at least - it works fine.

Calendars, on the other hand, are nowhere near as polished as far as integration / synchronisation are concerned. It's fine for viewing your calendar - and for viewing a shared calendar - but making changes to the shared calendar seems to break things (either that, or I did something VERY wrong last night :o )

Outlook is definitely better than Entourage, but Entourage seems to get the job done well enough that, as long as you can actually get it set up, you might be able to dump VMware / XP.

NetGX
27th March 2008, 08:09 PM
I love mail. although entourage has more feature IMO, it takes too long to start up, and if you don't have too much ram it can turn into a pain relatively quickly if you like to close apps when you aren't using them

Rodney9
27th March 2008, 08:17 PM
Mail has way too many bugs, try Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/)

with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1388 it looks good

The Loyal
27th March 2008, 08:22 PM
Mail is perfect for me at home, I have four mailbox's that just sit there and do their job and work perfectly (so far :P) along side each other. When I need to send a design to someone it's just a simple drag from the folder to the mail icon or open msg window.

Thats all I really need to do and it just works flawlessly.

gianni
4th April 2008, 05:16 PM
For me having started this thread mail works fine cause of the clear functionality of its interface - bit like using an ipod really. The point is there are other more fully featured and larger storage portable media players out there.. but its ease of use of its interface -- so smooth that what really shows Apple's focus on user that is what makes it stand out. Same with mail -- its total ease of use. Intuitive is the word that comes to mind.. :D

cgollner
6th April 2008, 08:02 PM
I have used Mail, Outlook through Crossover and Entourage. Mail wins hands down. Entourage a very distant second place and seemingly particularly slow with imap and lots of folders and Outlook dead last. Both entourage and outlook are both overkill when all I want is mail.

chrsha01
6th April 2008, 08:03 PM
Mail for sure, with its easy-to-use interface it's much better than others including Entourage and Outlook by far.

Vaempyr
6th April 2008, 09:36 PM
I have used Mail, Outlook through Crossover and Entourage. Mail wins hands down. Entourage a very distant second place and seemingly particularly slow with imap and lots of folders and Outlook dead last. Both entourage and outlook are both overkill when all I want is mail.
I've not used Mail, but I use both Outlook (Windows machines) and Entourage (Mac) regularly ...

If all you want is a simple mail client, I can see that both Microsoft products would be overkill. But if you want to talk to an Exchange server, Outlook wins hands down. Entourage manages, but it's not great. And from what I read, Mail doesn't handle that kind of thing well at all.

Or syncing with a WindowsMobile device? Does Mail (or Entourage?) handle that?

Horses for courses I say.

MadMuggle
6th April 2008, 09:42 PM
Mail, it's heaps easier and has all the features you need.