PDA

View Full Version : Crossover: Games (7.0) released!

mechcon
26th March 2008, 07:04 AM
Windows Games Seamlessly Integrated on Mac or Linux - CrossOver Games (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/)

The push for this one it seems, is to be as most compatible with Direct X 8 and 9 games as possible. What it supports so far looks great! going to trial it with Portal, and Episode 1, and see if the problem where it froze, plus the graphic glitches are solved.

7 day trial too folks, so snap to it!

gameon
26th March 2008, 07:26 AM
dloading now

mechcon
26th March 2008, 08:24 AM
im glad somebody on this forum cares about this app! :P If I can get episode 1 and portal working (proeprly and) nicely on it, I may well buy it!

gameon
26th March 2008, 08:42 AM
pretty much my situation as well

the pnly reason i have a bootcamp partition is for orange box at the moment

if it works through this i may get it

bennettnz
26th March 2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah this looks promising, can't wait to see how you guys go with this.

purana
26th March 2008, 09:31 AM
I'll leave the hard yards to others.. let us know how you go..

STK
26th March 2008, 09:38 AM
I still think it will be laggy as hell.

mac_man_luke
26th March 2008, 09:57 AM
why there is no emulation and linux gamers have been using wine to play games for many years

jeremy_warnock
26th March 2008, 10:25 AM
Windows Games Seamlessly Integrated on Mac or Linux - CrossOver Games (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/)

7 day trial too folks, so snap to it!

Hay Mechcon

I have been a crossover user now for over a year, but not the games version just normal crossover, I think its great. If you go to the code weavers website and apply to be an advocate, its free and all you have to do is report on any bugs you find, then you get the full version and updates for free. I use it for ms project and visio which I have to share with work, plus uhm cough dvd shhrink cough

but its a great little app

ilostmypassword
26th March 2008, 10:29 AM
Downloading now. Looks like Warhammer Soulstorm is a winner. Lets see...:thumbup:

forgie
26th March 2008, 11:09 AM
It seems like a very interesting relationship that Crossover have with Wine... CrossOver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossOver)

Wine on it's own works, and sometimes works flawlessly, but it's completely inappropriate for normal users, since configuration and setup is a real PITA.

gameon
26th March 2008, 11:32 AM
steam installed fine and i am logged in
currently installing the whole orange box

prob should have just installed one of the games
might take a while till i post back

trial is 30 days as well

mechcon
26th March 2008, 12:28 PM
Hay Mechcon

I have been a crossover user now for over a year, but not the games version just normal crossover, I think its great. If you go to the code weavers website and apply to be an advocate, its free and all you have to do is report on any bugs you find, then you get the full version and updates for free. I use it for ms project and visio which I have to share with work, plus uhm cough dvd shhrink cough

but its a great little app

Sounds good, where Do I Sign up? Because If I get STALKER working on Crossover, then I'll buy it :)

I know episode 2 and portal will work on it..

MrJesseRoss
26th March 2008, 12:35 PM
OK, I'm on a Macbook so don't really expect anything fancy to run, but this should still run games like, say, Monkey Island, shouldn't it?

I really want to play Monkey Island.

bennyling
26th March 2008, 12:36 PM
Here ya go!

I applied to be an advocate earlier today, haven't got an email back yet...

Compatibility - Browse Apps by Name (http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=206;signup=1)

(note that the above link is for steam, not STALKER. STALKER isn't in their list of apps (yet?).)

mechcon
26th March 2008, 12:43 PM
Might purchase STALKER via steam, that way I could run commands that way, i.e -novideo or some shit like that.

gameon
29th March 2008, 07:04 PM
just played team fortress 2
yea it does run a bit slower than windows

and i had to up the mouse speed
not as smotth as bootcamp

but was much better than i thought it would be

def good enough to jump on for the odd online game

bennyling
29th March 2008, 07:09 PM
Tried out CS:S first and yeah it runs great but not good enough to get rid of windows completely (that's the only reason I run windows).

I agree. CS:CZ works alright - almost on par with bootcamp, I'd say - but not well enough to be able to trash windows completely. I'll try out CS:S (which totally sucks under bootcamp) on my macbook later, should be interesting :P

PatrickH
29th March 2008, 07:12 PM
Even more of a reason to say that mac doesn't lack games! :p

~Coxy
1st April 2008, 08:18 PM
OK, I'm on a Macbook so don't really expect anything fancy to run, but this should still run games like, say, Monkey Island, shouldn't it?

I really want to play Monkey Island.

Check out ScummVM. Native under OS X and runs perfectly.

AUSMUG
1st April 2008, 08:26 PM
Check out ScummVM. Native under OS X and runs perfectly.

My son plays Monkey Island using ScummVM no problems at all.

mechcon
1st April 2008, 08:36 PM
I couldn't for the life of me get Portal working... bugga!

If only Cider was free for everyone :D

ozboi
1st April 2008, 09:58 PM
trial is 30 days as well

That would be the regular flavour of CrossOver, not the games version.

Keving
1st April 2008, 09:59 PM
Ya we need more cider games.

Its so damn easy, why is there not more Cider games :S

C&C3 was a perfect cider port.