PDA

View Full Version : Paralles virtual HD query

gallet
25th March 2008, 06:47 PM
i recently installed parallels onto a friends macbook pro without reading the instruction and I've now discovered that it defaults to creating a 32GB virtual hd. I put Vista in it but I need XP so I decided to uninstall Parallel, which I did and trashed the Vista/parallels folder in the Documents folder.

However I have not seen 32GB return and I was wondering if I had misread the manual, or if this virtual HD is somewhere else on the system.

I just used the default express Vista installation. Did it or did it not create a bigass virtual HD?

In case you're wondering I didn't notice how much space was on the macbook before I installed parallels, and neither did the owner.

Any assisting appreciated.

waynie
25th March 2008, 06:49 PM
It would have created a large file somewhere - not the full 32gb but sizeable nonetheless. Do a spotlight search for files with ".hdd", and you should find them.

gallet
25th March 2008, 06:57 PM
I just did a search and nothing at all came up with .hdd and nothing useful came up with hdd either.

The only space I've reclaimed so far is 3 gb from the Vista app folder in documents

tupps
25th March 2008, 07:45 PM
Some versions of Parallels create the virtual images in ~/Library/Parallels/ where ~ is your home directory.

Currawong
25th March 2008, 11:17 PM
It wont have created a full 32Gb image. Deleting the virtual machine file/folder would have freed up about 5-12gb depending on which version of Vista you installed.

MissionMan
26th March 2008, 11:21 PM
It should be a .pvs file somewhere on the drive.

The default location is in your documents folder in a folder called Parallels.