PDA

View Full Version : why is finder deleting files immediately?

xfodder
25th March 2008, 06:32 PM
im not sure what happened but when i delete something it is being deleted immediately instead of going to the trash ... i may have enable some option in either mac pilot or onyx ... anyone know how i can reverse what ever i did?

Jaali
25th March 2008, 06:35 PM
It might be too big to put in the trash.

I guess you don't have time machine running then?

Huy
25th March 2008, 06:36 PM
Finder > Preferences > Advanced

Show warning before emptying the Trash

Tick that.

Maybe that will help? Or not ...

xfodder
25th March 2008, 06:39 PM
the files aren't too big ... and i don't use time machine, im not worried about loosing something by accidently deletion ... i just prefer it go into the trash first.

huy: i checked and that is already checked :|

anyone else have an idea?

Jaali
25th March 2008, 06:40 PM
Are you dragging the item into the Trash can?

xfodder
25th March 2008, 06:41 PM
nope i am using the command+delete shortcut ... just tried dragging it to trash i get the same 'this file will be deleted immediately' message

purana
25th March 2008, 06:42 PM
im not sure what happened but when i delete something it is being deleted immediately instead of going to the trash ... i may have enable some option in either mac pilot or onyx ... anyone know how i can reverse what ever i did?

Sounds like you probably did. Sounds like you will need to retrace what you did and disable it.

Huy
25th March 2008, 06:43 PM
Files dragged to the Trash "will be deleted immediately" alert
Solving Trash Problems (http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html#Anchor-Files-46919)

:)

xfodder
25th March 2008, 06:43 PM
problem is i don't remember doing it ... or how long it has been going on for

waynie
25th March 2008, 06:44 PM
A bit of googling suggests that repairing permissions may resolve this.

Google Search: Apple Support for trash (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&as_q=os+x+trash+can+delete+immediately&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=discussions.apple.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images)

Granny Smith
25th March 2008, 06:48 PM
Where are the files you're deleting? On your HD or on a network drive?

xfodder
25th March 2008, 09:01 PM
issue now fixed, i did a repair permissions and did a restart (yes i did try restarting before)

thanks for all the help guys :)

thread can be locked by admin now :)