PDA

View Full Version : Where to get shielded telephone/modem cabling.

Jaffa
25th March 2008, 05:13 PM
Hi guys!

I need to buy me some shielded telephone cabling for my modem (RJ-11) as I have some data flow issues with my setup, and its too inconvenient to move the modem just because of this issue.

Any suggestions as to where I can buy this kind of wiring, preferably already with the ends on, or what I could do here to shield my cable?

Cheers,

Jeff

Brains
25th March 2008, 07:16 PM
There's mot much point making shielded phone cable, because the phone network doesn't use a shield ground. I suppose you could use generic shielded twin-core, but you would need to run the shield to a normal earth-point, but as soon as you do that your cable becomes illegal.

purana
25th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Care to expand on the actually issue and what you hope to do. You could always just use cat5e cable and put some suitable connectors on it (or buy something).

Jaffa
25th March 2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I should have explained more clearly.

Basically I have the phone cable running directly through a mesh of 240V cables before going to the modem, and i believe this is one of the reasons I am getting constant data flow problems, like my MSN, AIM, and Skype will log out, but my internet doesnt actually disconnect.

I want to give shielding the cable from the 240v cables somehow a go so that I can rule out that issue. It is really frustrating me now, not to metion a second issue with my Airport disconnecting from the base station at random intervals forcing my MacBook to be constantly ethernet-ed.

Hopefully this gives some insight into what and why I am trying to do this.

Oh, and please someone don;t suggest moving the modem at this point in time, I know I can do that, but I want to get rid of the issue rather than avoid it if that makes any sense...

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Jeff

Currawong
25th March 2008, 11:19 PM
You could try making your own phone cable using network cable. That worked on dialup connections, but probably wont on ADSL as it's more likely to be bad house wiring, bad street wiring, a dodgy filter or stuffed modem.

Jaffa
26th March 2008, 11:07 PM
You could try making your own phone cable using network cable. That worked on dialup connections, but probably wont on ADSL as it's more likely to be bad house wiring, bad street wiring, a dodgy filter or stuffed modem.

I'm putting my bet on bad street wiring, but I believe multiple 240v intertwangled with a phone line that is not even shielded using twists it not a good combination... If i was to make my own phone like I think I'd need to either buy my own crimping tool or make it really Home Joe style haha.

Wayen Connor
28th March 2008, 07:57 AM
A better temporary solution to help you find the source of the problem would be to get some cat 5 ethernet cable, place your modem right at the first phone connection to the house, then run the cat5 cable form the modem to your computer. See if that fixes the problem or not. I doubt that shielded phone cable would do anything.

Wayne

Macintosh how to (http://macintoshhowto.com)