PDA

View Full Version : Deceased iBook, need help with logic board in Melb.

eidlog_007
24th March 2008, 07:45 PM
Hello all

I have a recently deceased iBook G4 (my first mac, oh how I loved you...). I'm pretty sure it's a logic board issue, and I'm going to sell it off for parts soon, BUT I need to get some stuff off it - and, as is, I can't turn it on.
I turn it on, and get blank screen (or blue screen) and fans whirring. Thats it. :(

I've had friends tell me I can fix it by doing something with candles (!?!?!?!?) or small weights on parts of the logic board, but noone can tell me where, or how, and I've never taken a mac apart before.

SO my main question is - is there anyone in Melbourne who can do this unusual-sounding-candle repair?! I'll pay you (if it's under $50), and you get first dibsies on the iBook parts which I'll be selling off later!! I just want to get my stuff off it and wipe the HD! Help!

Cheers

eidlog :)

bigdude101
24th March 2008, 07:50 PM
I'll be attempting a similar fix with a G3 shortly. I've found links here:
DIY obsolete iBook logic board repair :: projects :: geek technique (http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair) - this is with the candle
A DIY iBook Dual USB Logic Board Repair - MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbook/210232/diy-ibook-dual-usb-logic/) - this is with the heat gun
TeacherTube - G3 iBook video repair (http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3934642e8584a58e5e10) - video of the latter
Have Fun!!;)

avolve
24th March 2008, 07:50 PM
pull the HD out ;)

[it takes some work, but if you are going to pull it down anyway...]

Byrd
24th March 2008, 07:56 PM
You'll want to remove the hard disk to retrieve your data; best done by an Apple tech (member macmate might be able to help you here). The "tea candle et al" trick is at best a rough repair and would most likely kill your iBook even more.

However, you might want to see if firewire disk mode still works; hold down "T" at startup on your iBook, and run a firewire cable from this to another working Mac. Your hard disk should come up on the other machine's desktop.

You might also have success getting the machine to boot using a G clamp. With your iBook on the ede of a desk, place the clamp just below the alt key of the keyboard/to the left of the keypad. This will place pressure on the flaky part of the logic board and hopefully allow you to get it to boot and quickly get your data off.

JB

Jedda
24th March 2008, 08:03 PM
If you are feeling lucky, you can use a heat gun (paint stripper). Chances are, you'll kill the logic board, but I have fixed 4 iBooks using one, and they are still kicking to this day.

eidlog_007
24th March 2008, 08:09 PM
I've tried holding the "T" down - but since I get no happy Mac chime, it won't work :(
I'll try the G clamp tomorrow at dad's.
Sorry for the dumb question, but once you've gotten the HD out - how do you then read what's on it??

avolve
24th March 2008, 08:39 PM
need an external drive enclosure for it