PDA

View Full Version : How Many Web Designers are there ?

iSlayer
23rd March 2005, 12:20 PM
As the Poll Suggest im interested in finding out how many web designer's there are amongst us all.

feel free to post how long you have been in the industry or any other comments

iluvmymactoo
23rd March 2005, 12:24 PM
I haven't voted because I'm actually in the middle of learning. Currently I'm completing the hand coding studies then will move onto Dreamweaver or Go Live.

I'll be there soon :)

arty
23rd March 2005, 12:24 PM
I have been running my own company - Arty (http://www.arty.com.au/index.shtml) - since 1996 doing web & multimedia design/production

TorranceTM
23rd March 2005, 12:39 PM
No - And any time at work they are looking for Web development being done I duck and weave and stay as far away as possible. :P

Benjamin
23rd March 2005, 01:10 PM
what about used to be a designer?

sikosis
23rd March 2005, 01:12 PM
Been making pages since HTML 2.0 ;)

Tools I use: Notepad++ and Paintshop Pro

I use to use Homesite til it got bought out by Macromedia ... I hate WYSIWYG editors they never seem to get the code right and love to put crap where you don't want it.

Languages I use: PHP with a dash of Javascript

mdmcholet
23rd March 2005, 01:14 PM
I voted no - but would like to learn...

I think like most people I have a personal web site...nothing to flash...but been thinking about a change in career!!

Been in the highly stressed corporate world for tooooo long, and rather than reviewing contracts and talking to lawyers all day long, would like to be more creative and do something that will allow me to work from home eventually, and have flexiblity with kids etc

Not really sure how to go about it..apart from start taking courses etc?

iSlayer
23rd March 2005, 01:16 PM
my advice is to just read beginner tutorials and just play.
you dont need to get caught up trying to learn all the fundementals and things like that because you will learn them anyway just from playing with code.
the first project i built was a custom forum system from scratch after id been coding for a few weeks.
thats how i got started and now i have a business.

i didnt bother with any courses as they are usually too basic.

konni
23rd March 2005, 01:17 PM
www.artandtext.com.au
spent many years as a print media artist and trainer for CG. I cut my web developer teeth building the online Apple Cert Prog. There's too many holes in those teeth now - it's hard to keep up.

Musky
23rd March 2005, 01:32 PM
I'm primarily a designer (12 years exp), can build a html site but that's what Web Developers are for, I just like to make the pretty pictures :)

Here are some sites I've designed and project managed

CHU Insurance (http://www.chu.com.au/)

Legal Eagles Recruitment (http://www.legaleagles.com.au/)

Louee Wines (http://www.louee.com.au/)

geektechnu
23rd March 2005, 01:35 PM
http://geek.tech.nu/

I'm too lazy to update my site on a regular basis (I end up hanging out here instead :lol: )
Trying to develop my own Content Management System in PHP - getting there slowly.
Otherwise, everything is hand-coded with focus on using CSS to separate code and layout (click the tiny "print friendly link" at the top-right of the page...)

I'm not professional, but I did study Multimedia and I hope to go pro someday... Maybe start a little freelance work soon.
Currently teaching Multimedia at my old University - at least it gives me regular work.

bergerac
23rd March 2005, 02:06 PM
Im currently studying multimedia and graphic design but have done a bit of freelance work so I guess you could call me "professional". Currently im in love with PHP and mySQL and have just set up my own webserver to do a bit of development but am lacking the time to do it due to the two flash sites i have to develop for uni this semester.

iSlayer
23rd March 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bergerac@Mar 23 2005, 03:06 PM
Currently im in love with PHP and mySQL
thats the best combo around.
some people will say .net is better then php but who wants to use Proprietary code like that.
php and mysql work so well together
like pac man and miss pac man :lol:

gmask1
23rd March 2005, 02:28 PM
I've been making web pages since, errr... 1994. Never made a dollar off them, and would rather not.

My current pages are www.gmaskew.com (not very pretty...), and art.gmaskew.com.

bergerac
23rd March 2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Mar 23 2005, 02:12 PM
thats the best combo around.
some people will say .net is better then php but who wants to use Proprietary code like that.
php and mysql work so well together
like pac man and miss pac man :lol:
Ahh... ill code/script/program in anything once i learn the syntax, never been exposed to .net though and the pay for stuff thing kind of puts me off being a student..

matttt88
23rd March 2005, 03:04 PM
I attempted to learn HTML, i dont think my mind works that way. I just get too frustrated by it. I love to design though. Just make random things in photoshop. Although i get bored of it quickly because i dont have anything set for me to do.

I design a lot of my friends Resume's. They usually send me pictures to photoshop things out of them, correct them etc. But i have creative blues sometimes and wont be able to do a thing in it. But i guess most people get that, Me more than others. Dont think id be very good at doing it for a living because of that.

Hobart
23rd March 2005, 03:29 PM
i know html pretty well and i know simple shit like dreamweaver but not that much java, oh and i know flash too. but i havent made a site outside of my webdesign2 server

CarbonRods
23rd March 2005, 04:00 PM
This (http://www.blams.dais.sa.gov.au/) is my site/job. I did the HTML and CSS and I do the weekly updates. It's supposed to be decommissioned next month :( and I'll be sorry to see it go.

I didn't vote, should I select 'Yes' or 'No But i run my own site.' ;)

CR

hawker
23rd March 2005, 05:16 PM
Been web designing since about 1997/98. Went pro and paid about 1999/2000. Have worked for Australia's biggest online university, Charles Sturt University and mainly feelance after that.

BiRDBRAiN
23rd March 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm more of a developer than a designer.

I've been coding PHP since the early days of PHP 3.

Recently switched all my work machines to Mac OS X and don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

I've been working with BSD type unix's for years so the jump to OS X wasn't far for me.

Apache/PHP/MySQL on Windoze just sucks.

Oh and a plug for my newly reinvented web business
GREEN BANANA (http://www.greenbanana.com.au)

964RSCS
23rd March 2005, 06:02 PM
Started web design as the main component of a multimedia course I did in 2001. Been doing varied things since, but getting back into the web design at the moment. Currently working on a couple of sites of my own, and a couple for clients, aswell as some webmaster/maintenence work. Would much rather work on sites of my own than deal with the headaches often created by clients, so am very selective as to what I take on for others...

Just use the macromedia studio set, and a bit of p'shop. Not into the techy backend stuff - only know enough about it to be dangerous!! Did a bit of .asp at college, but haven't done much with it since.

I would say I'm more of a designer than developer!

vargz
23rd March 2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Mar 23 2005, 05:55 PM
Recently switched all my work machines to Mac OS X and don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

Apache/PHP/MySQL on Windoze just sucks.
Im keen to know more about your opinions on OS X as a web dev platform. I currently develop on a WAMP (Win Apache MySQL PHP) platform, also utilising XHTML, CSS, JS, etc... Im just keen to know how/why OS X is better than Win.

Im hoping to switch from a Joybook (Win) to a Powerbook asa Apple can get their act togther and actually meet the demand for their hardware!

BiRDBRAiN
23rd March 2005, 07:51 PM
Mac OS X is the only desktop system which I know I can make an exact copy of a production site and take it with me and use it on the road.

I run a Linux web server at a datacentre and it is extremely handy to know I don't need to make any syntax changes to run a site on my ibook.

Linux IMO just doesn't cut it compared to Windows and Mac OS X for desktop stuff.

Plus clients want to see exactly how it will look, and with IE 5 I can show it to them as well as make tweaks to the back end.

I'm traditionally a BSD/Solaris user, ran an openBSD web server for years until I needed to move to Linux (long story, LOL worthy of its own thread). Thats another reason I am so comfortable with OS X.

In Windows I can't use a machine that is more than a year old for running the apps I need. With OS X, I have a G3 workstation (my first OS X system), with beefed up memory runs nicely at 1280x1024 on my 17" LCD.

Also, from a hardware investment point of view, Mac hardware doesn't devalue anywhere as much as PC hardware does. A year ago I paid $3K for a laptop which I struggled to sell for $1K.

Hope my ramblings make sense. With all the same tools and software available on OS X, there's no reason not to run it.

adamjc
4th April 2005, 10:37 AM
I want to learn!

I find dreamweaver a bit confusing, or mayby it is just till I get the hang of it!

Anyone knows where good help is on the web?

Thanks

BiRDBRAiN
4th April 2005, 10:57 AM
Web Monkey (http://www.webmonkey.com) is a good place, although they haven't added anything for ages its still a pretty good resource.

Plus you could post in here with quick questions if you are trying anything out and need some clarification.

bergerac
4th April 2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by vargz@Mar 23 2005, 07:27 PM
Im keen to know more about your opinions on OS X as a web dev platform. I currently develop on a WAMP (Win Apache MySQL PHP) platform, also utilising XHTML, CSS, JS, etc... Im just keen to know how/why OS X is better than Win.

BBedit...ohh how i love thee.. nothing comes close for me on PC