PDA

View Full Version : New Finder alternative: Leap (must read!)

sundance
24th March 2008, 02:01 PM
There's a very interesting finder alternative (read 'compliment') called Leap.

It's from the makers of Yep - The iPhoto for PDF files. If you are looking to locate files based on the context of the information, rather than remembering the file location check it out.

http://www.ironicsoftware.com/leap/ (http://www.yepthat.com/index.html)

Articles:

Review: Leap 1.0 for the Mac (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=macintosh_os&articleId=9067019&taxonomyId=123&intsrc=kc_feat)

Leap (Mac) - Download (http://leap.en.softonic.com/mac)

f1_power
24th March 2008, 02:04 PM
There's a very interesting finder alternative (read supplment) called Leap. It

Well.....yeah..:confused:

Phase
24th March 2008, 02:04 PM
There's a very interesting finder alternative (read supplment) called Leap. It

I wait with baited breath.

forgie
24th March 2008, 02:13 PM
It looks interesting - but the demonstration videos are poorly done - there are several times where the guy speaking (I assume it's the developer) says that you can't do certain things in the Finder, but actually you can. Don't get me wrong, I think the Finder is quite antiquated, and should be re-thought out from the ground up.... it just seems misleading to say that the Finder can't do certain things when in fact it can, just not necessarily easily.

andytlr
24th March 2008, 02:57 PM
It looks interesting - but the demonstration videos are poorly done - there are several times where the guy speaking (I assume it's the developer) says that you can't do certain things in the Finder, but actually you can. Don't get me wrong, I think the Finder is quite antiquated, and should be re-thought out from the ground up.... it just seems misleading to say that the Finder can't do certain things when in fact it can, just not necessarily easily.

Or if he just applied a bit of common sense in filing/saving his "photoshop documents" he wouldn't have any problem. Very biased, even if he's trying to sell something.

PatrickH
24th March 2008, 03:00 PM
All I needed to read was the requirements and I realised I can't run it.

What if I get a G4 processor upgrade, would that work?

decryption
24th March 2008, 03:35 PM
All I needed to read was the requirements and I realised I can't run it.

What if I get a G4 processor upgrade, would that work?

(Minimum requirements: G5 with Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later. Runs natively on Intel Macs).

You need a G5 CPU or an Intel CPU. So I don't think a G4 CPU upgrade would be of any use :p

digger1914
24th March 2008, 03:49 PM
It's not cheap!

Beau
24th March 2008, 04:13 PM
Not free = not for me.

tcn33
24th March 2008, 04:23 PM
So how does this differ from Spotlight exactly? Tags? Yippee. Pass.

feeze
24th March 2008, 04:53 PM
Nice product. Poorly marketed.

Those videos were atrocious. The whole website is pathetic. I stopped halfway through the videos and I didn't read the entire text. There was nothing there to entice me to purchase the product.

Which really is a shame because it looks like a good product.

aspro
24th March 2008, 05:18 PM
Nice product. Poorly marketed.

Those videos were atrocious. The whole website is pathetic. I stopped halfway through the videos and I didn't read the entire text. There was nothing there to entice me to purchase the product.

Which really is a shame because it looks like a good product.

Huh? You seem to have gotten the impression it was a good product though...

Personally it looks like a solution looking for a problem, as others have said a ounce of prevention (tiny amount of forethought) is a better than a ton of cure (nearly $70).

lurka
24th March 2008, 05:57 PM
As if someone is talkin on the phone in the background........

lol , and who seriously looks for files that way? and who forgets what they name something???

iMic
24th March 2008, 07:08 PM
I want to like it, but when it comes right down to it, it's just not practical. It doesn't really fill any gaps in existing software but approaches them in a different way, while this is not necessarily a bad thing it's just not necessary. The real downfall is the system requirements, requiring at least a G5 suggests this will be a pretty heavy application to use on most or all systems.

It's a good idea, but it fills gaps that were already filled, particularly in Leopard with Quick Look and Coverflow. The tags idea isn't too bad, but if you've used a system like mine, scattered with different and not exactly common files (DMG's and FLV videos, PHP files and archives), then it wouldn't exactly help. So it may have a demographic but that is yet to be seen.

Aa
25th March 2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah , i don't know, i think it looks quite good actually.

For me though Finder is such a core part of OSX (you can't even quit it, you can only relaunch) that I would much rather a way of customising it with a plugin to acheive this. I t feels very wasteful to potentially having Finder, Bridge, Leap (and even iTunes) all open to essentially source files.

Don't like bloat, no not one bit.

PatrickH
29th March 2008, 05:05 PM
Oddly enough this product is on macZOT half price:

macZOT | One Great Mac Software. Daily. | (http://www.maczot.com/)

LarryH
29th March 2008, 05:23 PM
Argh! G5 and over...

And it's not free...

I like Finder, and I think that little Apple company might go somewhere..

Fission
30th March 2008, 01:18 PM
I love the Finder, especially with the new improvements under Leopard. It's absolutely brilliant.

andytlr
30th March 2008, 01:37 PM
I'd like to see some kind of plugin for finder that allows file tagging. It still wouldn't replace normal folder structure but it is really handy when something falls into more than one category.

Currawong
30th March 2008, 01:41 PM
It's one of those products that looks like it was designed to be clever, but not designed by someone who needed a program to do anything like it does.

You're right though - the Finder really needs a quick tag system like it now has quick look.