PDA

View Full Version : Software to backup from NAS to attached USB drive?

gonty
24th March 2008, 10:10 AM
Hi folks,

I've recently picked up a LaCie ethernet mini that is to be used mainly for photos and other media shared between my mac and my wife's windows notebook. I also got a Seagate Freeagent drive to plug into the LaCie's USB port and use as a backup target for incremental backups of the LaCie.

The problem now is finding the right software. SuperDuper and carbon Copy Cloner are recommended often, but as far as I can se, neither have the ability to backup from a NAS. Retrospect has also been recommended but is not cheap. I don't feel confident using the command line Rsync. The built in LaCie software doesn't so incremental and as far a I can tell (without trying it yet) the Seagate software won't backup from NAS either.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edward_h
30th March 2008, 08:32 PM
I use Automator to backup my iTunes folder on my Time Capsule to a usb attached external drive.

I used this action with a Get Specified Finder Items action to do a simple backup.
Apple - Downloads - Automator Actions - Backup Folder (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/backupfolder.html)