PDA

View Full Version : garageband and mp3

natakim
23rd March 2008, 12:50 PM
quick question. my partner uses garageband (which our 9 year old taught her to use) to edit interviews for a melbourne community radio program before burning them to cd. apparently one can only import aac audio files into garageband. is this the case, or can one import mp3 files. don't see the bit deal myself as itunes converts from mp3 to aac, but i think they want to cut a step out of the process. any suggestions on this greatly appreciated.

cheers

decryption
23rd March 2008, 12:57 PM
Garageband can certain take MP3 files and place them into a track.
Would be better quality if they are uncompressed audio though, instead of MP3.

The Loyal
23rd March 2008, 12:57 PM
You should be able to just drag the mp3 file from finder into the project your working on.

natakim
23rd March 2008, 01:01 PM
slightly retarded user is maintaining that they can't drag and drop anything but aac files. no wav no mp3. is this a setting somewhere? cheers again

The Loyal
23rd March 2008, 01:15 PM
slightly retarded user is maintaining that they can't drag and drop anything but aac files. no wav no mp3. is this a setting somewhere? cheers again

Shouldn't have to enable any settings (as mine is still set to all default settings) to be able to do it, try create a new blank track and drag and drop it onto that. Works for me.

gallet
23rd March 2008, 01:17 PM
When you drag an mp3 file into GB it is converted into an uncompressed AIFF file, it's still mp3 quality of course. When it is exported it is reconverted back to an mp3. A bit like saving a jpeg as a tiff, only different.