PDA

View Full Version : .Mac account problems

GeoffP
22nd March 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I have a trial .mac account. I thought I might try mucking around with it today - ended up with no joy whatsoever.

1. I signed into my account.
2. Sync - doesn't work - I go to the Advanced window, click on "Register this Computer", the registering computer message with the scrolling circle stays on forever. The computer does not register.
3. iDisk - I setup my public folder with no password and read-write permissions. When I navigate to it, I have the option to create a new folder. When I create a new folder, a window pops up and disappears too quickly for me to read the message. The new folder is not created. I can upload a file successfully, however I cannot delete it. I get the same window popping up and disappearing.

I know I am screwing up something, I'm just not sure. Very frustrating.

lurka
22nd March 2008, 05:29 PM
ok,

1) good to hear.
2) Maybe your connection is a bit dodgey, can you sign into your account so that when you go to the .mac system preference it shows you being logged in?
3) iDisk, how are you navigating to it, via the finder or via the web?
4) have you tried going there from the GO menu at the top of your screen when you are in finder?
Click on your desktop, look up next to window in the menu bar there is 'GO'

GO>iDisk>My iDisk?

try that

rob05
22nd March 2008, 05:31 PM
I have a paid .mac account and the syncing works but this may only happen with paid accounts.

The best way I have found to access the public folder freely is via Transmit or another ftp app with webdav.

This allows adding removing folders/files so easily and much quicker also.

The Loyal
22nd March 2008, 05:33 PM
I just activated my 60 day trial for .Mac.

My "bookmarks" sync worked fine about 5 mins ago.

In system prefs>.mac I set it to replace data on .Mac and it worked fine first go.

lurka
22nd March 2008, 05:34 PM
I have a paid .mac account and the syncing works but this may only happen with paid accounts.

The best way I have found to access the public folder freely is via Transmit or another ftp app with webdav.

This allows adding removing folders/files so easily and much quicker also.

Clicking on Go > otherusers public folder..... was that to hard lol.......

ya can just type in your account name rather than another users...
it mounts it on your desktop and BAM away you go free to do your editing of folders and files.

GeoffP
22nd March 2008, 06:07 PM
Clicking on Go > otherusers public folder..... was that to hard lol.......

ya can just type in your account name rather than another users...
it mounts it on your desktop and BAM away you go free to do your editing of folders and files.

k, did that, only I used the account name "other" and the password I assigned the account under .mac-->system preferences. It logged me in??? If I used my .mac account name, it wouldn't log me in.

Also, even though I have read & write permissions, I cannot delete the file when I have mapped to my public folder.

lurka
22nd March 2008, 06:18 PM
It shouldnt be asking for your password.......
you must be trying to log into 'Other Users iDisk'
rather than other users public folder.....

GeoffP
22nd March 2008, 06:20 PM
ok,

1) good to hear.
2) Maybe your connection is a bit dodgey, can you sign into your account so that when you go to the .mac system preference it shows you being logged in?
3) iDisk, how are you navigating to it, via the finder or via the web?
4) have you tried going there from the GO menu at the top of your screen when you are in finder?
Click on your desktop, look up next to window in the menu bar there is 'GO'

GO>iDisk>My iDisk?

try that

2) yes, I can sign into my .mac account
3) via the web, and via finder
4) if I use the GO menu, I still cannot log on.

Also, when I try to turn ON iDisk Sync, I get the following error message:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o40/geoffp_bucket/Mac%20Stuff/Picture1.png

Now I think this is referencing my iDisk user name and password, which is different from my .mac password - the user name is the same - yes/no? Just to confirm, the user name is the prefix to my .mac account name (i.e. username@mac.com)

Hope this all makes sense.

lurka
22nd March 2008, 06:23 PM
try signing out of your account then signing back into it
via the account page in .mac system preferences

GeoffP
22nd March 2008, 06:31 PM
try signing out of your account then signing back into it
via the account page in .mac system preferences

that got it - all now ok.

many thanks lurka :thumbup:

lurka
22nd March 2008, 06:43 PM
woo hooo, glad it is all up and running GeoffP

I Helped out AGAIN!!!!!!!!

did anyone else see that :P

GeoffP
22nd March 2008, 07:17 PM
After all the trouble getting it going - don't think I need it.
It only syncs Safari and address book, not entourage - so no use at all to me.
ahhh well...

rpjallan
22nd March 2008, 08:31 PM
.Mac used to sync Entourage. What version are you using? I only have Office 2008 installed now and it doesn't appear anymore...

rpjallan
22nd March 2008, 08:34 PM
Ah! Maybe that's because I didn't bother installing Entourage. I don't use it. But on my G5 with Office 2004 Entourage syncing was available..

richbowen
22nd March 2008, 08:43 PM
After all the trouble getting it going - don't think I need it.
It only syncs Safari and address book, not entourage - so no use at all to me.
ahhh well...

I think you'll find that Entourage syncs with iCal and Address Book. From memory it's one of the Entourage preferences. That happens in the background on your Mac.

Then iCal and Address Book sync with .Mac.

You can then access that data online, or sync it to Mac2.

In reverse, Mac2 takes the .Mac data and syncs with its iCal and Address Book. Then they sync with Entourage on Mac2.

I moved from Entourage to Mail/iCal/AB a while ago, but I am sure I had this data all syncing in Entourage 2004. Be surprised if it's not available in Entourage 2008.

GeoffP
23rd March 2008, 07:08 AM
Yeh, I have got the following happening now:
1. Entourage calendar automatically syncing with iCal.
2. iCal syncs with .mac, but I cannot view my calendar in .mac <--- how do you do it? I have no calendar option to choose on my .mac account page. Clicking on the calendar icon only takes me to the "Sync & Share Your Calendars" web page.
3. AB syncs with .mac - I noticed that the notes secition of a contact in AB doesn't come across to .mac - is that correct, is there an option to do this?

Also, am I right in saying that I cannot sync my Entourage contacts via AB and .mac?

EDIT: Found I had to publish my calendar from iCal. When I published my iCal, I was given an address to view the calendar online (which worked), however I still cannot seem to access my calendar form my .mac account web page.