PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of an application?

MissionMan
21st March 2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Guys

I was told you can remove apps from a mac by deleting the folder (because they don't actually install). I tried installing a photoshop trial, deleted the folder and now I'm trying to install a different version of photoshop it won't allow me to (it says its already installed on my machine). It was only later that i found the uninstall option but by that stage it doesn't work (already deleted some of the files) and the repair option doesn't work either.

How do I track down all the install folders for photoshop CS3 folders and get rid of them so I can install CS3 Extended?

basseyy
21st March 2008, 06:28 PM
a really good app to remove programs form your mac is called appzapper - it has its own web page, google it, I use it, and its fantastic - 1.80 is the latest version i think, or PM for the program ;)

Rodney9
21st March 2008, 07:23 PM
Drag it to Trash

avolve
21st March 2008, 07:27 PM
there are plist and other files stored in library folders for many apps—AppZapper usually gets rid of them. Otherwise manual find/deletion is need

paulharrop
21st March 2008, 07:31 PM
Ditto for appzapper.

kim jong il
21st March 2008, 08:57 PM
Drag it to Trash

He did that hence the question (was supposed to use the uninstaller). :p This is one of those applications that resides in two or three spots so the OP now has to also manually remove the Photoshop folder found within the Adobe folder in Applications Support and a single preference file should do it. All assuming that AppZapper doesn't do its magic.

MissionMan
21st March 2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys, found it through randomly deleting CS3 files in different directories and then did a repair again before removing it. Appzapper is definitely something I'm adding to my collection now.