PDA

View Full Version : Strange MacBook w/less problem...

laprius
21st March 2008, 04:21 PM
Ok...new MacBook (November2007) just installed 10.5.2 and now if I connect to my wireless LAN and browse pages and download from within a browser no problem downloads at my full DSL speed 1.5Mbit so about 150kB = no issues there.

**HOWEVER**
Same computer, same connection but connect to my iMac a 16Mb file takes about 10 minutes to transfer

Same location in the house, same connection same file my iBook gets in about 20 seconds as it should.

Can anyone think of why filesharing traffic (including directory listings on remote computers etc) are so slow whereas other network functions are fine?

I've downloaded every other airport patch and update I can find to throw at the thing but no luck.

Wireless settings are pretty standard, WPA-TKIP encryption, Appletalk is turned on automatic for the airport card.

I hope someone has seen/heard of this...I've got not idea!

Cheers :)

ClockWork
21st March 2008, 04:31 PM
How many other computers are drawing off the same Wireless point, and what happens if you shut them all down, and leave just your MacBook "on" ?

laprius
21st March 2008, 04:36 PM
no difference...it's the only device on the wlan...even when i tested the transfer with the iBook.

I left the 10 minute transfer running on the MacBook, but downloaded the same file at the same time on the iBook which took 20 seconds...and it started 5 minutes after the MacBook! lol

Wally
21st March 2008, 04:43 PM
Try updating Airport software :)

There is a huge difference between WLAN and LAN remember that :)

dt
21st March 2008, 04:55 PM
Delayed ACK problem, maybe? (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1394485)

laprius
21st March 2008, 04:55 PM
Yes I am aware of that :P airport software updated with everything I could find.

perhaps if I put it like this...when I use a browser on the MacBook to download a file off the internet I get the file @ 150kB/sec which is fine.

If I have the same file on a local computer and try to copy it to the MacBook...with no other computers using the wireless, it gets that file @ 30kB/sec.

If I use my iBook to do the same thing it comes down at more than 20 times the speed, closer to 800kB/sec. Same file, same source, same physical location (well within 30cms of each other)

laprius
21st March 2008, 05:00 PM
cheers nickd! that pretty much looks like it....but even with titchy small files...16Mb or so

hmmm.....to rollback 10.5.2! can that be done through time machine if I just point to the system folder and pick restore? ;)

laprius
21st March 2008, 05:13 PM
well looks like 10.5.2 has awakened a monster...this seems not to have fixed, but made the situation bearable:

The Adventures of Systems Boy!: Delayed ACK Startup Item for Intel Macs (http://systemsboy.blogspot.com/2006/02/delayed-ack-startup-item-for-intel.html)

installed and getting much improved speeds.
cheers again nickd :)

snark
30th March 2008, 11:55 AM
I was also seeing appallingly slow speeds when copying files from my NAS to new MBP over wireless (g) : 50 - 80 kB/sec, which was pretty much useless for anything except web browsing.

The script hack from System Boy's blog has improved things to a point where I can copy 150 MB in "only" a few minutes, but even sitting on top of the wireless router, I'm only getting 2 MB/sec.

Oddly enough though, my mini (G4 PPC running 10.4.11) is also seeing really slow speeds, so in my case, it may not be a specific 10.5.2 problem.