PDA

View Full Version : Mac Noob with a few questions..

alphabet
21st March 2008, 01:19 PM
I just bought a new iMac and so far i love it but i have a few questions...

1. Is there a good ad-blocker around? I used to use ad-block plus on firefox when i had my PC but when i install it on my mac it doesn't block hardly anything and the one that comes with safari doesn't do anything.

2. Also, with Bootcamp, if i install vista, is it reversible? Can i easily get rid of the windows partition without without losing any files from my OS X partition? Because I only need it for a couple months

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Wally
21st March 2008, 01:28 PM
1. No idea
2. Download Vmware Fusion / Parallels.

LarryH
21st March 2008, 01:31 PM
Welcome alphabet! (You don't have a name?)

First of all, you aren't a noob, but a switcher with questions, and you have no reason to call you're self a noob.

1. I find that AdSanity works works very well, although it isn't freeware, and there is a variety of Firefox extensions that you can use.

2. It is extremely easy to uninstall Windows from your Mac. Because they are seperate partitions, you can just use the Boot Camp Assistant to easily delete your Windows partition.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Larry

Brains
21st March 2008, 02:06 PM
Use Firefox on your Mac, virtually all the plugins and extensions you are used to with Firefox-for-Windows will work on the Mac version (including the popular AdBlock). Or use Opera, which has element blocking built-in as standard.

geektechnu
21st March 2008, 02:31 PM
Chances are when you installed adblock the filter list was empty. You either need to define filters telling it which URLs to block, or import an existing filterset.

Filterset.G is a possibly the most well know filterset.

mvjs
21st March 2008, 02:46 PM
Safari AdBlock (http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/) is the best AdBlocker for Safari, and uses the AdBlock Plus (firefox) lists.

SteveJobs
21st March 2008, 03:25 PM
Safari AdBlock (http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/) is the best AdBlocker for Safari, and uses the AdBlock Plus (firefox) lists.
Thats what I'm using. Works great.

alphabet
21st March 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, especially mvjs, Safari AdBlock works great :)