PDA

View Full Version : Super Duper boot from external firewire drive question

GeoffP
20th March 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

I have a Mini Stack V3 with a 500GB HDD connected via Firewire 800 to my Mac Pro running Leopard (10.5.2).

I have been using Super Duper as a backup regime for off-site storage of the external HDD.

One of the options available from the options is to make the external drive bootable, and then boot from this drive.

I thought I would try it out to confirm that it would work correctly - and it did.

However when I rebooted again (the external drive is now turned off - I only run it when I do a backup), my pc took a lot longer to boot. It displayed the initial white boot screen for ages (heaps more than normal), then displayed the apple logo, then the scrolling circle started, and it booted normally.

Would I be correct in assuming that the pc was searching for the external drive as it was now a bootable option? If so, how can I disable this and have the pc boot only from its internal drive?

I have googled the bootup options, but I'm not really sure what I need to do here.

Thanks,
Geoff.

timwhite15
20th March 2008, 06:49 PM
system preferences -> startup disk

TheMountainGoat
20th March 2008, 06:51 PM
Head in to system preferences, click on Startup Disk, and select the disk from in there. It should say 10.5 on (Drive Name) where the Drive Name is the name of your main (Internal) disk.

Edit: timwhite15... Too quick for me!!!

GeoffP
20th March 2008, 07:47 PM
thanks heaps guys - fixed the problem - now back to lightning fast bootups :)