PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOOO - recovered my HD!

cactus68
20th March 2008, 10:19 AM
:D:D:D:D:eek::D:D:D:D:D

Can't friggin believe it and you should see the smile on my face!!!

As I mentioned in my other post, I lost my HD last week and in the process
of trying to do something about it, the pins for the power plug had pulled out
rendering it absolutely stuffed.

Had been advised to look around for a 2nd hand HD to match it so I could swap over
the chipset to hopefully power her up again.

Last night I thought I'll just have a look and see what's involved.
Got the tools out and removed the motherboard looking thing on the HD and I could
see where and how the pins were originally located. Having been pulled out this had
straightened the end tips which when originally in place where pointed downwards 90'
to go into little wells on the board.

So I thought nothing lost in trying hey!

Got the tweezers a small flat blade screwdriver and with headlamp on and blazing away at 12.30pm
I started to operate.
All seemed like they were back in the spot where they were before, could do with a spot of solder,
but I don't have the gear and never done that before so not an option.

Next step install the HD back in as a slave to the new one, which I did.

Got my borrowed copy of diskwarrior4.1 and tried to boot up but didn't seem to get anywhere.
Have read later that it does take a while to boot from the disk but I just presumed that it was not
working for me.

Booted up by holding down option key then chose my new HD to start up from.

Installed DWarrior, ran the prog. Did a rebuild and it came up with a box with progress bars and
a line saying "diskwarrior speed reduced to disk malfunction".
Now it sat on this and to me looked like it was going nowhere, a number was at the end of that
statement and this every now and then increased, be it very slowly. (388, 436, 453, 469....etc)
Googled the offending statement and the advise was to let it run, could be 3 hours it could go on for 3 days but give it a chance. 3 days!!! Bloody hell I need my unit to work on.
It also said that if you can still move your cursor and those numbers were slowly increasing then
diskwarrior IS doing it's job.

Left it running overnight and came back this morning to find it was successful. :D:D

I'm now transfering all the files and folders that I thought I had lost for ever over to the new HD.

You never never know if you never never GIVE IT A GO!

Now where are my mailboxes located?

purana
20th March 2008, 10:24 AM
/Users/[username]/Library/Mail

From memory.

mac_man_luke
20th March 2008, 11:11 AM
you also need /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist (or similar)

cosmichobo
20th March 2008, 11:12 AM
Congrats! :)

I can imagine the smile on your face... I guess a fair few of us here can sympathise. Thankfully I haven't had a HD crash in over a decade... [frantically touches wood]

Wally
20th March 2008, 11:16 AM
Congrats dude,

Im glad the chipset was the problem, not the platters.

Now get backing up!

cactus68
20th March 2008, 12:07 PM
thats what I'm doing now!
just got 32gb of stuff back which took 1 hour
now for the rest!

Wally
20th March 2008, 01:10 PM
If you really want to keep the drive, grab a new chipset!

unless its working fine

cactus68
20th March 2008, 05:09 PM
got everything I lost back but just one hickup with mail.

I have all my old mailboxes with the items in the folder back in the
/Users/[username]/Library/Mail directory

but when I go to mail app the boxes are their but no emails in them

pluss I couldn't find the old com.apple.mail.plist file

is there any way I can get mail to recognise those emails that are in the mailboxes folders? I have replaced the smartmailboxes.plist file as well!

cactus68
20th March 2008, 05:12 PM
a restart may help

it's all back!

cactus68
20th March 2008, 05:15 PM
spoke to soon

now my emails in the in box has a message that reads...

The message from eBay <ebay@ebay.com.au> concerning “eBay Watch List” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it.

Currawong
20th March 2008, 05:21 PM
You should be able to drag them into a folder in Mail, possibly anyway (been a while since I tried anything like that).

gmask1
20th March 2008, 05:41 PM
I'm trying to recover a Windows formatted disk as I type this... no idea how long it will take, or if anything will come of it, but stories like this give me hope :)

cactus68
20th March 2008, 05:53 PM
make sure you have enough supplies....
box of chocolate and a carton of beer my friend!