PDA

View Full Version : 320Gb HDD in macbook

lazydesi
20th March 2008, 08:00 AM
Hi Folks,

this long weekend I planned to upgrade my HDD to 320GB in MB

so my question is making partition is a good idea or not?

Huy
20th March 2008, 08:02 AM
A single one?

It will work but you can have 2 I guess, one for the OS and another for your files etc... I don't recommend a TM volume on it since it's the same drive.

If you're happy with one 320GB partition then leave it like that. Works for me (on 500GB iMac).

lazydesi
20th March 2008, 08:17 AM
A single one?

It will work but you can have 2 I guess, one for the OS and another for your files etc... I don't recommend a TM volume on it since it's the same drive.

If you're happy with one 320GB partition then leave it like that. Works for me (on 500GB iMac).

my idea is use as single drive and install VM ware (XP for 32GB)

but If i make 2, 1 for OS and 1 for other stuff, can it make any difference w.r.t booting time or writing ?

decryption
20th March 2008, 08:23 AM
Won't make any difference to speed - just means it's easier to revive from an OS fuckup. If your data is separate to your OS, if you need to re-install, you don't need to restore data like photos, music, documents, if they're on another partition.

jimdrum
20th March 2008, 08:31 AM
Won't make any difference to speed - just means it's easier to revive from an OS fuckup. If your data is separate to your OS, if you need to re-install, you don't need to restore data like photos, music, documents, if they're on another partition.

I partitioned a drive on a Powerbook I had, installing the OS on one partition and a system folder and data on the other. It worked very well, and allowed me to boot from either partition and repair the other one. It got me out of trouble several times. I would certainly recommend it.

lazydesi
20th March 2008, 08:38 AM

if i put 40Gb for OSX and

remaining 260 for files, music, movies and XP using VMware is a good idea?

or

80GB for OSX and VMware(XP)

and remaining for files, movies e.t.c is a good idea?

JimWOz
20th March 2008, 08:45 AM
I keep the OS on a separate Partition for the same reasons Decryption and Jimdrum state above.
I have also moved the Users directory, so I can blow away the OS and lose very little.
I have moved most Applications also, leaving only the ones that insist on being on the OS Partition.
Similarly, you can move the VM files to another Partition so the OS one can be made reasonably small. I have a 15G OS partition (using Tiger).

However, the process of moving User directories requires use of the Terminal. VM files can be moved using other utility applications or Terminal.

The benefit of having 2 OS's installed on your HD, for debugging using utilities such as Techtool has been negated by the relatively cheap cost of external drives nowadays.

The only down side to partitioning I've come across is that you end up with bits of free space on each partition, not consolidated in one place, which can be a problem for that DVD rip you need to do, when your disk is nearly full. - But once again, external drives can come to the rescue.

Mctastic
20th March 2008, 08:47 AM
Ok, ... if you have Leopard, it allows you to 'soft partition' the drive. SO, .. you install setup a single drive partition as normal, .. and once you up and running, .. run Disk Utility, .. .and 'adjust' your drive and partition as desired. Leopard basically allows you to partition the free space of the drive, ... you can at any time restore the drive to a single partition without destroying the main, .... boot part.

Wally
20th March 2008, 08:49 AM
Stick to one partition, it makes life easier and more organised.

I find if i use more than one, things end up on the system drive.

Mctastic
20th March 2008, 09:02 AM
i do agree with Wally.... if i need a second storage area, .. i will use an external/2nd hard drive. when your drive suffers any type of damage, .. partitioned or no partition, ... the entire physical drive needs to be fixed

chocho
20th March 2008, 09:33 AM
so for instance if one has a powermac, and can put multiple drives in it, would it be better to keep a smaller 80gb for the OS and general stuff.... and get larger capacity drives for movies, photos etc?

thanks

Mctastic
20th March 2008, 09:37 AM
yep, .. for sure Chocho.
And have a third(internal or external) to mirror your 2nd drive(work/movies/photos), .. all sorted!!

Brains
20th March 2008, 12:04 PM
For anyone repartitioning, here's a tip I cannot recommend highly enough: create a single, small (approx. 4 GB) partition called "Toolbox". Onto this small partition you put a small, bare-bones (no print drivers, no languages etc) install of OSX, and add your choice of diagnostics programs such as TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior or Data Rescue II if you have them.

In the event that your full OSX install starts to play up, you can reboot into 'Toolbox' and do your permissions repairs and run your diagnostics, without having to hunt for your Install DVDs.