PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Firmware Update on Mac Pro

gtext
20th March 2008, 12:07 AM
What's the general opinion from anyone who has installed this firmware update on the new Mac Pro

Is it my imagination or are the Mac Pro's not quite a silent after this update is installed.

The general consensus on the Apple forums is the power consumption also goes up slightly.

I'm sure mine was around 145W at idle before and now 170W.
Not really noisy so much as not so silent as it was it seems.

If these are true is there any way to undo this update?

Does anyone know also why there's still a 41W draw when the Mac Pro is turned off ? What's still running? Seems a fair bit even if it's on a type of standby.

jacobus
20th March 2008, 09:11 AM
Despite my better judgement I installed this update. I think you're right about a sligh increase in noise level. It's only very slight, but I'm pretty sure it's there. I can hear my mac pro now (just) whereas before I couldn't. I have well and truly learnt my lesson about ignoring all apple updates from now on until they get their act together. I long for the days when apple updates actually improved performance (even on older machines). Unfortunately there is no way to roll back updates.

jacobus
20th March 2008, 04:15 PM
I am curious to see what others have to say about this....

gtext
20th March 2008, 06:58 PM
Thinking we must be the only two!!
I know there are others on Mactalk with new Mac Pro's

Not sure if this applies to any other Mac's.

Would have been nice if Apple when describing the update (should be renamed a downdate) had said what the effects would be. Also with the words "cannot be undone".
Seems like it was supposed to help those with "restarting when waking up" problems.
As I didn't have any such problems I guess I didn't actually need it.
No such mention of that also.

So in short no warning from Apple on the ramifications of installing this firmware patch.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who knows what's drawing 41 watts when switched off also. Draws three extra watts (43) when sleeping. So how is sleeping saving power? Might as well switch off.
Hoping someone can answer this.

Phase
20th March 2008, 07:23 PM
My Pro's got an 8800 in it, so no update for me.

Which is frustrating, because I still have the restart-on-wake issue.

jacobus
20th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Thinking we must be the only two!!

So in short no warning from Apple on the ramifications of installing this firmware patch.

I ended up installing it hoping for the power saving. I haven't actually measured it, but assuming what you say is correct, that blows. I asked about possible downsides on the forum before installing, and as the people who responded said nothing changed for them I went ahead with See: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/12/46132-mac-pro-ati-radeon-hd-2600-firmware-update.html

I really brought this upon myself. Would you believe that I even went ahead with this when just a few weeks ago the keyboard firmware update for the macbook pro stuffed my laptop. Now it freezes every 5-10 mins and needs a restart. Many people on the Apple forums are having the same problem, but Apple tells everyone it's a hardware issue even though it started immediately after the update. So I am kicking myself for installing this mac pro update when I really should have known better. :mad:

gtext
20th March 2008, 09:13 PM

I'm beginning to think that this problem that some (not me) are having is not graphic card related.
Mine still has the standard 2GB RAM. Only modification is one hard drive added.
Strange that with identical computers only some have this issue.

Personally it looks more like a RAM issue to me.
When you think about it when sleeping where is the data stored. In RAM. If the RAM corrupts that data what can happen on wake up. A restart. And RAM is what many people add.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

My practice with any computer is to thoroughly test it out of the box before modifying anything. This I've always done with windows PC's in particular.

I think many that having this and other issues have been in my opinion been too quick to add software. RAM, hard disc's etc. Also plugging in external drives. printers etc. Usually all at once.
When a problem presents itself the question is whether it's something that's been added or an original component issue. People then start reformatting reinstalling removing added hardware and refitting again. Going round and round in circles.
At least doing it this way you know if it's a manufacturing issue (in this case Apple) or something you've added.

Anyway this is what I've always done in the past saving many hours of frustration and making it easier to diagnose. Others may not agree.

areal
20th March 2008, 09:13 PM
As I said in that other thread I haven't noticed any problems after installing the update. I'm not sure about power consumption but I am glad that I have green electricity. :)

gtext
20th March 2008, 09:15 PM

Phase. What's the noise level like with that card?