PDA

View Full Version : Pasting Rich Text into Thunderbird

shorebuck
19th March 2008, 01:26 PM
Howdy y'all,

Hopefully this'll be a quick query but does anyone know if Thunderbird on OS X supports Rich Text being pasted into mails?

For a while I was using Thunderbird under XP and was cutting text from Safari etc and pasting them into Thunderbird and the formatting would be preserved. I'm trying the same thing under OS X now and the text loses all formatting.

I've checked that the Compose in HTML option is on but no luck. At the moment, I'm doing a workaround by using Mail but I want to keep them separate - Mail for all my personal stuff and Thunderbird for the other stuff.

I've done a bit of googling and it seems like Thunderbird might not be able to do this but it's odd if it works nicely under XP but not OS X.

Any suggestions or tips welcome :)

Rodney9
19th March 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure, you could ask here -

Thunderbird Support - MozillaZine Forums (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39)

or I found this, it's a bit old -

thunderbird - sending email in rich text format (http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/11312.htm)

rich-text is pretty much a Microsoft-only option. Sending mail in rich-text format means anyone without Outlook risks seeing a blank email with a "winmail.dat" attachment and not much else.
Plain text email is great.

HTML email is OK.

rich text email is the devil's work :-)

I don't really know if this is true, certainly would not surprise me.

Rodney

snark
21st March 2008, 09:26 AM
I've had a play round with Thunderbird, but can't find any way to get to do what you want to do. I think it might be a bug, because there is an option to Paste without Formatting, but it does exactly the same as normal Paste - which implies that normal Paste is not doing what it is intended to do.

shorebuck
24th March 2008, 09:22 AM
thanks for the suggestions and feedback, I've had no luck - oh well, I'll stick with Mail for now.

I'm not a fan of styled text in email but Mail handles it nicely.

I just find it bizarre how it's all happy on XP but not OS X - I figured Thunderbird would be Thunderbird.