PDA

View Full Version : Too many Mail Accounts

doconmac
18th March 2008, 11:15 PM
I have a problem of two POP accounts in my Library/Mail folder
POP-kent@pop.netspace.net.au
POP-kent@popnetspce.net.au

I cannot see anyway to get rid of the wrongly spelt account.
In Mail Prefs/Accounts, there is only one account.
If I delete the one from the Mail Folder, it simply re appears when I re launch Mail but I lose my Sent messages.

Can anybody help with getting rid of this unwanted account please?

iMac PPC G5 10.4.11

lurka
18th March 2008, 11:23 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forums,

Have you tried opening up mail then going into mail preferences and selecting accounts and deleting it from there?

Mail>Preferences>Accounts (tab) then clicking on the offending account and clicking on the (-) button in the bottom left hand corner of the window?

http://img.skitch.com/20080318-k7ash2pmdned4t7ipqs2sgq9h1.jpg

BTW try not to delete folders by going into your library, you could go in and wreak HAVOK...;)

doconmac
18th March 2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks
I looked at that option but there is a warning dialogue which says that I will loose all my Folders with all my saved messages.
In any case I have only one account listed in Mail/Accounts and that is the correctly spelt one.
I cannot afford to lose all those saved messages. I do have a SuperDuper Backup however but that ~/Library/Mail Folder has the same problem!
If I delete that Account in Mail Prefs can I get my folders back from the folder "Mailboxes" in my SD backup simply by dragging them into the new account in Library/Mail on my iMac?

lurka
18th March 2008, 11:46 PM
If you drag your Mail and Mail Downloads folders then your messages will be there 99.999% sure on this one , might have to get one of the other members to correlate that.

Why are you even concerned about it being there if you need the saved messages in it? just leave it in there. its not doing any harm.

doconmac
18th March 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes you are correct, it doesn't really matter, I am just curious as to how it got like that and why I can't just get rid of it!
Thanks for your help and advice

lurka
18th March 2008, 11:53 PM
I really dunno why it is in there I had a look in my folder and only have the ones that relate to my accounts, It might also be a preference issue , but unless you care to reset all your mail up again then I would just leave it.

Peter Wells
19th March 2008, 01:47 AM
hey lurka, good to see you go from lurker to problem solver..

:thumbup:

lurka
19th March 2008, 07:35 AM
hey lurka, good to see you go from lurker to problem solver..

:thumbup:

awww thanks:D

Optogamut
19th March 2008, 10:01 AM
I've noticed some extra/old accounts on my system too, I've just let it go.

I'm just thinking now that you could copy your sent mail to another folder in Mail and then delete the account you don't want, then put all the sent mail back? That might get around the problem.