PDA

View Full Version : Mac / Xbox 360 related question

skip
18th March 2008, 09:39 PM
I hope that this is the right place for this...

Finally thinking of getting a 360, but I don't really want to shell out the silly money for the wireless connector if I don't have to. I want to plug it into my Mac Mini (HTPC) via ethernet and get it to use the Mac's built in wireless as suggested here: Go wireless with your XBox 360, without the $100 MS adapter (http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/61)

Anyone tried something like this? Does it work well?

If so, it'll be perfect as the 360 will be put about a foot from the Mini

raj
18th March 2008, 10:06 PM
I was a sucker and just bought the wireless adaptor, that said it worked perfectly wirelessly with connect360 on my Macbook Pro.

Kempokidd
18th March 2008, 10:20 PM
i too just bought the original from microsoft .... so far its been flawless ! but yeah $149 is abit steep for ti though !!!

Clarkey87
18th March 2008, 10:26 PM
I bought the official adapter, though only for $90 from E-Bay. Works perfectly with Connect360 from both my Macs. I was originally going to try the sort of method that the link you gave suggests, but in the end I couldn't be bothered.

queraxus
18th March 2008, 10:36 PM
Don't the latest release 360's have wireless included?

MrJesseRoss
18th March 2008, 10:38 PM
OK, I've just attempted to connect my 360 to our home network, using the instructions you linked to. I've connected it up to my iMac G5, via the network cable that came with the Xbox.

So far, I've had no luck. The Xbox Live Connection Test fails to find an IP address, despite the iMac being connected. I've made several attempts, with and without the firewall being activated, and different options being selected, but still nothing.

However, in the past, I've been able to connect the Xbox via a direct wired connection (using the same cable) to the network router, so I know there's no problem with the actual network. It's just a matter of getting the iMac to send the data to the Xbox. I think.

Don't the latest release 360's have wireless included?

Wireless controllers, not wireless networking. I wish they did have inbuilt wireless networking, because that would make all of this a lot easier. :(

kingkangkong
18th March 2008, 10:49 PM
i splonked money on the adapter as well. pricey, but i find it performs really well. no drops or anything. very decent.

areal
18th March 2008, 10:50 PM
If you already have a wireless router I assume you can use an Airport Express as a wireless access point. It's cheaper than the official Xbox 360 wireless adapter and more useful if your setup changes in the future.

skip
18th March 2008, 10:57 PM
Half goon half god - thanks for trying. Have you turned off the Mac's firewall? I hear that helps.

Just got screwed at the last second on an Xbox 360 with HD DVD add on - gah, must try harder ;)

MrJesseRoss
18th March 2008, 11:02 PM
Half goon half god - thanks for trying. Have you turned off the Mac's firewall? I hear that helps.

Just got screwed at the last second on an Xbox 360 with HD DVD add on - gah, must try harder ;)

Yes, I believe I said that in my post. :) I tried it with and without the firewall, but it didn't seem to help.

jrad
18th March 2008, 11:14 PM
The wireless device on the 360 apparently does not support WPA, only WEP. You may find this is why it connects (oddly enough...) but it doesn't obtain an IP. My mates windows machines do the exact same thing when I run my Airport Extreme in WPA2 mode - they "connect" but always fail to get an IP.

Bloody Microsoft. :p

Ed01
19th March 2008, 06:20 AM
My xbox 360 connects through my Powerbook to xbox live. The issue I had is that you have to set up manually the IP addresses (and DNS info) on both the console and your mac

TheKeddi
19th March 2008, 07:15 AM
I have mine connected to my airport extreme, with a cable, then the mac runs off the wireless in another room, works a trreat and a damm site cheaper than the official dongle,

But, can someone enswer me this?

i can get all my movies to work on there, but try to play music from itunes and it cuts my connection off??

Jedda
19th March 2008, 07:15 AM
Yes, I believe I said that in my post. :) I tried it with and without the firewall, but it didn't seem to help.

That's because you need to do this.

macosxhints.com - Make Internet Sharing DHCP work with an Xbox/Xbox 360 (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304)

MrJesseRoss
19th March 2008, 08:15 AM
That's because you need to do this.

macosxhints.com - Make Internet Sharing DHCP work with an Xbox/Xbox 360 (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304)

Aha. Thankyou very much! Shall try that today.:)

MrJesseRoss
19th March 2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, still doesn't work. It's probably something to do with my iMac, which has forever refused to perform basic functions like that.