PDA

View Full Version : External Monitor for MBP

Jaali
18th March 2008, 05:12 PM
Heya,

Is there anyway of making an external monitor a primary and have the monitor of a MBP switch off?

Cheers!

Keving
18th March 2008, 05:32 PM
Nope, sadly, all you can do is turn the brightness to 0 - or close the lid, awaken the MBP in clamshell mode then reopen it(the screen will be off.)

Or you could leave it shut and watch your MBP cook.

JimWOz
18th March 2008, 05:42 PM
The best way to do this is with the lid closed and an external keyboard & mouse attached.
Start machine with external monitor connected. I think the MB displays preferences needs to be in mirror mode.
Put machine to sleep and close the MB lid.
wake the machine using kb or mouse and the external runs at the resolution you have it set to as the primary monitor, and the MB screen remains off.
This has been the method since the PBG4's came out (or maybe earlier).

You could alternatively make the external the primary monitor in the displays preferences, by dragging the menu bar icon to the external, then just dim the MB screen. However, this would mean you could drag things off one edge of the monitor into the darkness of the dimmed screen. - But you don't need a kb or mouse to achieve it.

insular
18th March 2008, 06:38 PM
I do what JimWOz described. Plug in my external monitor and have it setting to span across both screens. Close the lid and wait for it to go to sleep. Click the mouse and wake it up, then open the lid and use the keyboard with the MB screen switched off. Why? More System memory for the external display running at 1920x1200

Jaali
18th March 2008, 06:44 PM
Close the lid and wait for it to go to sleep. Click the mouse and wake it up

How do I click the mouse if the lid is closed? I have an external mouse and keyboard, but clicking them doesn't wake it up when the lid is closed.

Brentnal
18th March 2008, 09:23 PM
How do I click the mouse if the lid is closed? I have an external mouse and keyboard, but clicking them doesn't wake it up when the lid is closed.

The external power plug has to be in (ie. not on battery power) for this to work..

hiredgoon
18th March 2008, 09:28 PM
click the mouse with your mind