PDA

View Full Version : X11 not working since Parallels & VMware installed

cfc1960
17th March 2008, 10:42 PM
I have a fully updated Leopard iMac which has been running X11/Open Office 2.3.1 with no problems. I have 2GB RAM. In the past week I installed both Parallels and VMware trial products. Parallels now has SUSE Linux 10.3 and Win98SE installed. VMware has neither at present. Since the install X11 no longer works. It bounces on the dock along with Open Office. Open Office appears as the active program in the title bar and according to Forced Quit it is running but no window appears. I have tried reinstalling X11 from the Leopard DVD. Does anyone else run similar software combinations or have any idea what is happening. I have only been a Mac user for 4 months. Thanks.

Currawong
18th March 2008, 09:57 AM
Ok, in Applications -> Utilities, open Console. Then try opening Open Office and see what messages appear. That will reveal the problem.

macpunc
18th March 2008, 10:08 AM
I have a fully updated Leopard iMac which has been running X11/Open Office 2.3.1 with no problems. I have 2GB RAM. In the past week I installed both Parallels and VMware trial products. Parallels now has SUSE Linux 10.3 and Win98SE installed. VMware has neither at present. Since the install X11 no longer works. It bounces on the dock along with Open Office. Open Office appears as the active program in the title bar and according to Forced Quit it is running but no window appears. I have tried reinstalling X11 from the Leopard DVD. Does anyone else run similar software combinations or have any idea what is happening. I have only been a Mac user for 4 months. Thanks.

Since you installed X11 from 10.5 DVD, you need to reinstall the 10.5.2 combo update to fix X11.

cheers

[mmmm 69 posts!]