PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Freezing After Keyboard Firmware Update

jacobus
17th March 2008, 05:34 PM
Since installing the keyboard firmware update a few weeks back my macbook pro now freezes up completely every 10 mins or so. At first it was happening 3 or 4 times a day, now it's all the time. Others on the Apple forums have reported the same problem, starting immediately after the update. It only occurs when the macbook pro is unplugged, running on battery power. So basically it's useless as a portable laptop. Everything stops working, mouse, trackpad, even closing the computer doesn't help. A restart is so far the only fix.

I've had my macbook for just over one year and everything has been fine. Not a single thing has gone wrong until this update. So, as I don't have applecare it seems i'm stuck. Personally, I feel that Apple caused this problem and they should fix it regardless of applecare. I called them up and was told that "it's not an issue". That is despite over 10 threads (that I can see) on the forums relating to this exact issue.

Is anyone here having the problem, or better yet has anyone received an acknowledgement from Apple that their update caused this?

scritch
17th March 2008, 06:58 PM
Since about the time of the keyboard firmware update my MacBookPro will "freeze" - I can move my mouse cursor around, but as soon as I click on things the beachball of death comes up and spins it's evil colourfulness at me until I press-and-hold the power button to send it back to the pits of hell from whence it came.

I thought it was possibly a cleanup script causing an issue or similar, so cleaned everything out, and just last week did a full wipe and re-install (didn't even migrate my data - installed everything as new).

Last night it happened again, and I am thinking it is either the same or similar to what you have experienced, however mine has happened on mains power (very rarely unplugged).

Love to hear if anyone else has experienced this. I've never experienced this before.

Regards,
Shane.

jacobus
17th March 2008, 07:02 PM
I don't get the beach ball, my system just freezes completely. I have found that if I set the system to 'best performance' it freezes somewhat less (i.e. after 10 mins instead of 2). I assume you've tried a basic force quit?

Since about the time of the keyboard firmware update my MacBookPro will "freeze" - I can move my mouse cursor around, but as soon as I click on things the beachball of death comes up and spins it's evil colourfulness at me until I press-and-hold the power button to send it back to the pits of hell from whence it came.

I thought it was possibly a cleanup script causing an issue or similar, so cleaned everything out, and just last week did a full wipe and re-install (didn't even migrate my data - installed everything as new).

Last night it happened again, and I am thinking it is either the same or similar to what you have experienced, however mine has happened on mains power (very rarely unplugged).

Love to hear if anyone else has experienced this. I've never experienced this before.

Regards,
Shane.

scritch
17th March 2008, 08:24 PM
I don't get the beach ball, my system just freezes completely. I have found that if I set the system to 'best performance' it freezes somewhat less (i.e. after 10 mins instead of 2). I assume you've tried a basic force quit?

I've tried everything. Once the beachball comes up it is as though the OS is waiting for the hardware to respond and it just doesn't. I've left it overnight before & come back to find no change.

Regards.
Shane.

gerard2478
17th March 2008, 09:14 PM
I bought a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz last Monday and everything was working fine until...

I upgraded the keyboard and graphics software through software update.

I began to have problems with the computer been very sluggish to wake from sleep and my 30" external monitor not working if it was plugged in at startup. Update also broke clamshell mode.

Seems I'm not alone! checked Apples discussion forums - many similar problems.

Phone Apple and the tech guy hinted that there is a problem and that I'm not alone, but Apple has yet to address it.:mad:

reinstalled 10.5 and everything is working as it should.

jacobus
17th March 2008, 09:22 PM
Phone Apple and the tech guy hinted that there is a problem and that I'm not alone, but Apple has yet to address it.:mad:

Well that's something. At the very least is confirmation that they are taking it somewhat seriously. The woman I spoke with was very rude.

gerard2478
17th March 2008, 09:44 PM
should add... haven't reinstalled the graphics and keyboard update and because the tech guy seemed to know the problem very well doesn't mean Apple is going to fix it with a new firmware update anytime soon.

jacobus
17th March 2008, 09:48 PM
should add... haven't reinstalled the graphics and keyboard update and because the tech guy seemed to know the problem very well doesn't mean Apple is going to fix it with a new firmware update anytime soon.

I resisting a complete reinstall hoping that the increased pressure on Apple will force them to act. Wishful thinking I know.....

lazydesi
18th March 2008, 02:42 PM
this keyboard update is showing up everyday in my software update (till today i installed this update more than 15 times)

jacobus
21st March 2008, 07:43 PM
Still haven't found a fix for this issue, so my macbook pro remains unusable. I uncovered this: MacMost MacBook Keyboard Problem (http://macmost.com/macbook-keyboard-problem.html#comment-8033)
which seems to solve the problem for some, but I can install it without getting the 'your computer doesn't need this update" message.

Another possible fix has emerged, but I would like some other opinions on it:
Apple Firmware Restoration CD 1.4 - MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21240/apple-firmware-restoration-cd)

Can anyone tell me what the possible consequences of restoring the computers firmware to the default? I am wary because when I purchased the machine it was running 10.4, and I have upgraded it to 10.5. This restoration apparently resets some of the system preferences to the defaults. Does this mean that my machine will restored to 10.4 defaults even though I'm running 10.5, and what are the side effects of this?

Are my files and applications likely to be mucked about?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get my macbook pro back to a usable state.

angus930
29th March 2008, 11:13 PM
Hey,
This is my first post! Whoo!

Anyway, I bought by MacBook Pro half way though last year.
I have never had a problem before, except this new one that has arrived within the past week.

Generally at night, my keyboard & mouse will just stop working for no reason. Now, if I plug in a mouse & keyboard I can use it again (That's what im doing now)

This would be half OK, but this computer is used at school... Im backing up my system now and going to remove the Windows Bootcamp to see if anything changes (Read somewhere else with same problem that Boot Camp was cause.) But, if that fails gonna reformat the entire system which is a major pain.

gtext
29th March 2008, 11:30 PM
Still haven't found a fix for this issue, so my macbook pro remains unusable. I uncovered this: MacMost MacBook Keyboard Problem (http://macmost.com/macbook-keyboard-problem.html#comment-8033)
which seems to solve the problem for some, but I can install it without getting the 'your computer doesn't need this update" message.

Another possible fix has emerged, but I would like some other opinions on it:
Apple Firmware Restoration CD 1.4 - MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21240/apple-firmware-restoration-cd)

Can anyone tell me what the possible consequences of restoring the computers firmware to the default? I am wary because when I purchased the machine it was running 10.4, and I have upgraded it to 10.5. This restoration apparently resets some of the system preferences to the defaults. Does this mean that my machine will restored to 10.4 defaults even though I'm running 10.5, and what are the side effects of this?

Are my files and applications likely to be mucked about?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get my macbook pro back to a usable state.

May be worth a try.

Apple - Support - Downloads - Firmware Restoration CD 1.4 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd14.html)

Apple say it wont work if the firmware installed fully.

Although it might work in your case as the firmware may just have not installed completly.

Firmware updates worry me a bit as they can't be removed like other updates. By a reinstall I mean.

swuth
19th April 2008, 10:20 AM
I had this problem with a brand new macbook (black). Took it back to the store and got a refund when I realised there was no fix for it. I will get a new one when the issue is fixed. Thanks apple....

:mad:

jacobus
20th April 2008, 09:03 PM
I had this problem with a brand new macbook (black). Took it back to the store and got a refund when I realised there was no fix for it. I will get a new one when the issue is fixed. Thanks apple....

:mad:

Actually there was a work-around fix found. It seems that the freezing issue is connected to the keyboard backlight. DIsable the keyboard light and the freezing stops. I have done this and haven't had a freeze since (about 2 weeks so far). It's still annoying because the backlit keyboard is one of the reasons I went for the macbook pro, but at least I am able to use the computer again.