PDA

View Full Version : Two networks at once?

RÍvons
16th March 2008, 04:21 PM
Im a uni student living at a boarding college and the net here is pretty slow and very restricted.
Im looking at getting my own net connection however I would like to still use the existing network for accessing 'local' things like shared iTunes libraries, bonjour, shared hard drives etc.
For the existing network I am connected via ethernet and if I get my own internet connection put in it would be wireless so mates can use it also.

Can I access the internet through WiFi whilst still keeping my ethernet connection for local network based things at the same time?

I hope that made sense...

Cheers guys,

morgan
16th March 2008, 04:28 PM
You would need to use location manager I suspect, I did when I was at college, I had "Ursula" for college ethernet (lighteneing fast but had to pay 7c/mb for external) and "ANU" for wireless internet (free, but slow) didn't seem to be a way to access internet through two different networks it the same moment.

tempestas
16th March 2008, 04:31 PM
A Partial Answer:
You can easily set up multiple network locations. Its simple to swap between them via the Apple menu as well.

Basically set up each network give each a name, then swap between them as required.

I suspect Automator/AppleScript or some neat 3rd party haxie exists to prioritise various traffic on your machine. I'm sure one of our network gurus will add more here

Dante Kyar
16th March 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure if that works, although i do seem to remember having both my wireless and ethernet connected to the same network at the same time. This was done on my netgear router. As to which ports the data went out, well i have no idea.

I would recommend getting an airport express for uni. You can create your own network and stream music to speakers if you ever want to. A nice option to have, particularly for parties. Apparently there is an N standard one coming out soon and that would easily handle you and your friends over wireless for whatever you want to do with it.

Xavier
16th March 2008, 04:36 PM
It's a bit different... but I use home zone to manage my settings for home and school. It's a bit buggy but works well enough for what I need.

It's a similar thing but I don't think it will help you.

mab
16th March 2008, 05:43 PM
Yes you can have them both working at the same time.

You would need to make sure your wireless router/internet connection is on its own network and set the default gateway to that router and then add a static route out the ethernet port to the boarding house's network

Note you will probably need to do this via the command line or script.

RÍvons
16th March 2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
mab, can you point me in the direction of some more info/how to's on what you mentioned above?

Just to clarify and add some more info. I do not want to use the internet connection from my uni at all, but i would still like to be on that network for the 'local' stuff I mentioned earlier.

Also Im looking at getting the Belkin N1 Vision router atm, any thoughts on that one.