PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Supplies Improving

iSlayer
22nd March 2005, 12:21 PM
Hi,
so i ordered a 12inch combo drive powerbook and an ipod on the cram and jam promo yesterday direct from apple.
the guy says they will ship by the end of next week.
so image my suprise when i get a shipment notification today to say it was shipped yesterday.

Same day shipping which seems to be very rare at the moment.
maybe it pays to call them and order like i did

mikeh
22nd March 2005, 12:30 PM
Sounds promising, I ordered my PowerBook 15" yesterday through a reseller and they said they didn't know how long till it would arrive....

maybe I might get it sooner than I thought :D

iSlayer
22nd March 2005, 12:32 PM
direct from apple is always much faster.
apple are yet to miss a shipping date for me.
ipod photo shipped 3 days early,AEX shipped a day early,powerbook more then a week early..........

they are all direct from apple.
resellers are a different story

OziMac
22nd March 2005, 01:07 PM
I ordered a 1GB iPod Shuffle a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday evening, and it arrived Friday morning - supplies generally seem to be improving! :)

iSlayer
22nd March 2005, 01:11 PM
well they arnt since last week there was 80000 shuffles on backorder in oz but they seem to be shipping orders they get directly alot quicker then to resellers.

vargz
22nd March 2005, 08:25 PM
I hope it's improving cos everything I have heard in the past week hasn't sounded promising:

AppleCentre - couldn't/wouldn't give me a date as to when they'll be receving more 12s and 15s. 17s can be supplied immediately.

NextByte - said they'd have more "in the coming weeks", but couldn't give a date.

Apple Store Online - said supplies are "contrained" and hoped for more shipments by mid-April.

So I've done my research, Im keen to make the switch, but its looking like my move will be delayed for a while yet. Im kinda thinking I might as well wait till Tiger is released and comes pre-installed on PBs... :(

Febs
22nd March 2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by vargz@Mar 22 2005, 08:25 PM
AppleCentre - couldn't/wouldn't give me a date as to when they'll be receving more 12s and 15s. 17s can be supplied immediately.
I work for an AppleCentre and still can't get my hands on a damn 12". Need it very soon too - for uni.

We got 15s and 17s today, but no 12s. :(
Almost considering buying a 1.33GHz model and saving myself some cash.

Cheers,
- Febs.

vargz
22nd March 2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Mar 22 2005, 08:43 PM
We got 15s and 17s today, but no 12s. :(
Are these 15s available for sale or are they filling back-orders? I would imagine most upcoming shipments will be to satisfy back orders.

I just wanna see a 12 and 15 in the flesh... I have seen them in pics and they look sweet, but I can't properly decide what's best for me unless I can see and compare them for real. The two stores I went to had to sell their displays models to satisy the crazy demand!

fairy1
1st April 2005, 08:31 PM
i placed in an order last week saturday and i was told by a nextbyte sales consultant that i will get it when i come in this saturday and stock will be available! so i rang today to confirm whether it will be there and they guy said we gave all our last stock to pple who placed orders b4 that! ahhhhh lol i knewwwwwwwwwwwwww something would happen i just knew it apparently im 5th in the queue.. and did not ask when the stock will be in

:thumbdn:

Ed01
1st April 2005, 08:43 PM
I hope that supplies are improving. It took 7 weeks for me to get my 12" Powerbook (through a reseller) which was disheartening for a first-time mac buyer.

purana
1st April 2005, 08:50 PM
I am trying to convince my wife to get a 12" powerbook with superdrive, if we can sell her compaq for a reasonable price.

I was going to call around and see the eta for delivery, but looks like I know now.

fairy1
1st April 2005, 09:18 PM
7 weekssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss s omg THAT IS RIDICULOUS lol im mad but i laugh such a dumb disease

suryo
2nd April 2005, 05:38 AM
Fairy1, I can't waiiiiiiiiiiiit untiiiiiiiiil you gettttttt yourrrrrrrr newwwww PPPowwwwerrrrrboooooook. It seeeeeems yourrrrr currrrent keyyyyyboarrrd has stuck keeeeeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fairy1
2nd April 2005, 08:43 AM
hahahhaha lol good one matey !

vargz
3rd April 2005, 05:03 PM
Just an update...

The Apple Store online is now quoting a build time of 1-2 days for 15s. In previous weeks it was at 7-10 days, so this is appears to be a good sign though Im not too sure whether it actually means anything with regards to faster delivery times.

Anyway 12s are still at 5-7 days and still seem to be the hardest models to get. I read somewhere that the 12s have issues with the trackpad, hence Apple are trying to rectify the problem before selling any more 12s.

As for 17s, well go to you local Apple Centre, ask for one of these and you'll have it within a week or two!

Cheers :)

Aleisha
4th April 2005, 06:41 PM
I finally got my powerbook last month, 2 weeks after the delivery date on my order receipt. I was so excited until I got there and found out that it had been fitted with an 80gig hard-drive instead of 100gig. There was no way I could go another few weeks without a computer, so I accepted it as it was with a refund on the difference. I called my local applecentre last tuesday to say I wanted the difference refunded and asked for my credit to be drawn into a cheque. As of today I still haven't heard back from them. I have to say the customer service from apple is absolutely terrible, everytime I called them I was promised I would be called back within the day and never heard from them again. From now on, I am only buying through resellers and the online store.

fairy1
6th April 2005, 08:19 PM
from an apple source PB g4's are expected sooner, instead of the end of the month it could come in next week, so those who ordered and are on the queue for the next batch, hopefully you people will get your laptops soon. I'm on that queue
so fingers crossed

thedoc
17th April 2005, 11:20 AM
im still waiting for my 12" PB superdrive, been on order for over 5 weeks, the said it would take 2-3weeks max, since then ive had about 5etas which they have missed them all last one being friday. I rekon i might just cancel my order a get my mate in CA to fedex me one over, cheaper too.

you'd think apple could do better than this, cripes id hate to have tosend something in for servicing *gulp*

d

leharicot
18th April 2005, 11:44 AM
i just ordered a 15" PB direct from the website. i'll keep you updated on the progress of the order.

purana
18th April 2005, 12:11 PM
I am about to order 12" superdrive from a reseller, will let you know how long it takes. Hope its not long as my wife is without portable (and thus is using mine).

vargz
18th April 2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah I ordered my 12" SD from a reseller last week, who advised me there were a few batches of them around, so provided the can satisy back orders (and there are some left over), I should get mine in a week or two!!

Mind you, i'd be very suprised if I get it that soon :rolleyes:

leharicot
18th April 2005, 01:28 PM
Estimated delivery on my 15" PB SD is 28 April (ie 10 days after order).

thedoc
18th April 2005, 05:42 PM
from what i heard today, nz and aust are both having major supply issues with the 12" powerbooks, turns out its just the same ole story and i guess apple wants to keep it that way cause supply will continue to outstrip supply and we all know that just keep the prices up nice and high.

leharicot
20th April 2005, 12:24 PM
Webstore is now showing shipping on PBs to be between same day to 3 days, depending on the system ordered and the things you do to it (RAM, HDD, etc). This is better than what it was showing last week. Hope this applies to my order - if I get it by Friday I can have all 3 days of the long weekend to play with it :-)

In another thread, there was a report that an iBook ordered last Sunday was shipped on Monday. So it seems that supplies all round are good at the moment.

iSlayer
20th April 2005, 12:39 PM
its good to see shipping times improving.
th reason for recent delays is probably linked to hard drives and optical drives.
both have been in shortage lately but it seems to be getting better.
just hope we dont see the lcd supply problems that may happen this year(manufacturers have slowed down the building of lcd's this year)