PDA

View Full Version : Macbook behaving oddly on wireless

Botox
15th March 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi all.
Just trying to sort out a minor niggle. A friend has a brand new Macbook. Her home network consists of the Macbook, an eMac and a Netgear wireless router. The problem is, the Macbook keeps dropping off the wireless connection. I took my (slightly older, 10.4.11 Macbook)to their house, and it is as solid as a rock on their wireless connection. So too is my iPhone. When I click on the new Macbook's Airport status icon in the top menu bar, it says 'Scanning' fairly frequently. I have compared the network setting on my Macbook and the new one, and they are identical (except for the ip adresses, of course). The status icon remains solid, but when I try to open a web page I get the 'You are not connected to the internet..' message and Network settings say that Airport is using a Self-Assigned IP. The router is set to DHCP and seems to be functioning normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks

forgie
15th March 2008, 08:24 PM
I think there's a bug or 3 in Leopard's airport code. I've had similar experiences with Airport in 10.5.x.... my wireless used to be rock-solid, now it's patchy.

denwol
15th March 2008, 09:49 PM
I changed the channel and that seemed to fix the problem. Also, do you have the 10.5.2 update?

Botox
15th March 2008, 10:26 PM
I changed the channel and that seemed to fix the problem. Also, do you have the 10.5.2 update?

Yes, have installed all up-dates. Will try changing channels tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

HarbieBoys
16th March 2008, 08:43 AM
I had this problem with a Netgear DG834G. The network supported a Mac Mini and an old iBook, but when I added a new Mackbook, it wouldn't connect. I tried changing the channels, which would work for a while, but then it spontaneously dropped out every few hours or so.

Solution: I updated the Netgear software, and the problem has never returned!

Tina
16th March 2008, 06:40 PM
I bought a Macbook yesterday and this is the first Mac I've got. I've got a few other computers hooked to the broadband, one desk top (non-mac), one Toshiba and one IBM laptop hooked to the internet through wireless. For some reason, my Macbook could only connect to the network (very strong signal) through Airport but not able to connect to the internet. I took the Macbook to a friend's place and the wireless connection works perfectly. This is rather bizaar and frustrating!!! Just wondering if anyone knows what might be the reason???