PDA

View Full Version : Do you look at your Macs traffic?

Sunnz
15th March 2008, 04:34 PM
Today I was sitting next to my router and watching my Mac's traffic as I surf the web.

And there are some funny thing, there are a lot of UDP connections from my Mac that I did not even know it is doing... most are sending out to the local network.

E.g. it was trying to connect to my router on UDP port 192, which from the Apple web-site: AirPort Base Station PPP status or discovery (certain configurations), AirPort Admin Utility, AirPort Express Assistant.

I certainly do not have any AirPort Base Station... and I don't do PPP connection from my Mac neither...

Another one that frequently comes up is UDP port 137: Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS)...

Which is even more puzzling... this is a Mac computer connecting to a Unix only local network, what's this WINS for? And it is multicasting it to a.b.c.255 too...

So anyone know if these are services are necessary and if I should turn them off? Do they pose a security risk? Or how would one go turning these off if it bothers them that much?

rickyd
15th March 2008, 05:30 PM
Even if I did monitor mine...I couldn't decode it anyway :p

Sunnz
15th March 2008, 06:00 PM
Depends on how you monitor yours...

I just look at the traffic at the router and I had them formatted in sort of a simple way, something like "source ip source port -> dest ip dest port", and I just had them fly through my PC's monitor as I surf the web on my Mac.

thorevenge
15th March 2008, 07:41 PM
WINS is a pretty common service on most machines nowadays - it allows for integration with Windows services. OS X Server has capacity for WINS for instance.

The Airport ones are probably tied to Bonjour looking for an airport base station as it detecting a wireless router? I don't know about this one.

drumstix4
15th March 2008, 07:44 PM
Dosnt Bother Me

Sunnz
15th March 2008, 09:01 PM
Hmmm I don't know... I don't use WINS myself, or maybe I am not aware of it? At any rate I don't have any Windows servers around anyway, and when there is a Windows friend who comes to my house they can indeed use the net without me setting up WINS or anything, I just give them simple TCP/IP NAT and it all worked.

morn
16th March 2008, 02:08 AM
Finder looks for windows file shares to display in sharing area, that probably why.
Also you should notice bonjour, it uses multicasting.