PDA

View Full Version : I thought you could copy layers in Photoshop?

rickyd
15th March 2008, 11:17 AM
Adobe is the worst software company on the face of the earth

Hey,

So I am trying to copy a layer from one Photoshop document to another. I am selecting the layer, then try to copy it via the edit menu, but I cannot. Are there any preconditions that need to be met to be able to copy?

Thanks,
Ricky.

Peter Wells
15th March 2008, 11:20 AM
just drag the layer from document a into document b...

Disko
15th March 2008, 11:20 AM
I tend to just drag the layers from one document to the other by dragging from the layers menu and dropping it directly into the 2nd psd.

Photoshop is one of the best applications on the earth - if you know how to use it. ;)

gianni
15th March 2008, 11:29 AM
I agree .. you can copy or drag.
copying : you need to select the layer you want to copy ( go select ALL or cmd+A) THEN select the part of the image you want (use a selection tool like the rectang selection tool)- then copy cmd+c - bring other file to front and paste cmd+V

drag : select the layer you want to copy - select the part or all the layer to drag with your MOVE tool across to the other image that is visible - might be nxt to or part obscured by the front image.

Best on large files drag cause when copy-paste option goes to clipboard which can mean using a lot of memory...

good luck. Its an impressive program thats way beyond everything else.. a couple of friends did some basic video tutorials on lynda.com
:)

marc
15th March 2008, 11:46 AM
just drag the layer from document a into document b...
+1

If you want to copy several layers and keep their relative positions in tact then shift select them and drag the whole lot to the new doc. Easy as.

Photoshop can be criticised for many things, but this isn't one of them.

Bodhi88
15th March 2008, 11:52 AM
Is the file your are trying to copy to in index colour mode? if so change it to RGB and you should be fine.

jubilantjeremy
15th March 2008, 02:33 PM
So you don't understand it - therefore the worst software company on the face of the earth? This might be helpful for you (http://www.fayette.k12.il.us/99/paint/paint.htm).

frenchtoast
15th March 2008, 02:37 PM
Donnie Hoyle has the answers for you. (http://www.mydamnchannel.com/Big_Fat_Brain/You_Suck_at_Photoshop/YouSuckatPhotoshop1_398.aspx)

rickyd
15th March 2008, 05:29 PM
Looks like the drag does work.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ricky.

marc
15th March 2008, 09:49 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but this:

The move tool can also be used to copy layers from one document to another by dragging and dropping

...was in the first google hit from a google search for "move photoshop layer to a new document".

C'mon Ricky, you're better than this. You know how to google!