PDA

View Full Version : ElGato EyeTV Question

evs
13th March 2008, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I have a question. Is the ElGato EyeTV DTT (http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/DTT/product1.en.html) able to receive / record HDTV broadcasts?
From what I can gather from the website, only the EyeTV Hybrid (http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/hybrid/product1.en.html) fully supports HDTV. Yet the website doesn't really seem to point this out or market the product in that way (which I find strange). Will the simpler product handle HDTV or not?

purana
13th March 2008, 12:57 PM
It will allow the watching and recording of DVB-T (this includes Standard Def and High Def DVB-T broadcasts).

evs
13th March 2008, 01:05 PM
awesome. thanks.

marc
13th March 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm yet to see a new USB tuner that does digital that doesn't do high def. Seems strange that this isn't used as a big selling point on the packaging. Most do it though... EyeTV DTT, EyeTV Hybrid, EyeTV Diversity, Pinnacle DTT, Pinnacle Hybrid, Miglia TVMini, Miglia TVDuo...

Lutze
13th March 2008, 02:06 PM
I don't think you will like the likely answer to this.

If you look at where DVB-T is taking off in large numbers it's mostly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T) Europe. That seems to be where the major population centres are.

From my experience of DVB-T in the UK things are done slightly different - it was launched in the UK by OnDigital / ITV Digital. This went down the tubes pretty quickly but it established the idea. Freeview was created from the ashes... however the market had got used to 50+ channels. Now that the UK has so many channels with so many right holders they don't want to give up the bandwidth required to push out HD channels.

The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five have agreed with the regulator Ofcom to convert one UK multiplex (B, or PSB3) to DVB-T2 to increase capacity for HDTV via DTT.[3] They expect the first TV region to use the new standard will be Granada in November 2009 (with existing switched over regions being changed at the same time). It is expected that by 2017 there will be enough equipment to switch all transmissions to DVB-T2, providing a full HD service on Freeview with archive channels using DVB-T2 to deliver standard-resolution MPEG-4 Part 10 channels.

With this system being replicated throughout Europe it's quite possible that HD broadcast via DVB-T is not a huge selling point - so why bother marketing it as such, when in a few years they will be able to up-sell customers to newer equipment.

You would have the same problem here in Australia if more channels were available. Does Foxtel do HD broadcasts yet?

marc
13th March 2008, 02:16 PM
You would have the same problem here in Australia if more channels were available.
Seems like we're lucky then... we should have at least 3 high def channels by the end of the year, maybe more. Here's the what's available and what's planned:

ABC1
ABC2
ABC3 (due 2008)
SBS
SBS HD (not sure when this is planned for multi-channeling)
SBS2 (aka SBS World News)
Seven
Seven HD
Nine
Nine HD (available now, but multi-channeling due 2008)
Ten
Ten HD

12 channels for now, with maybe more coming when analogue is shut down. :)

Does Foxtel do HD broadcasts yet?
It's due in 2008. Not sure where they'll get the extra bandwidth from though. Foxtel already looks like YouTube for most non-movie channels.

Lutze
13th March 2008, 04:40 PM
Here in WA (Perth Metro) I'm also getting ABC1 HD

Foxtel, if they do what their UK off-shoot Sky, do will probably sacrifice a channel or two - The big difference here from what I can tell anyway, is competition and regulation. Sky in the UK have to transmit all 5 "standard" analog channels alongside their own line up.

However they get pushed for line up by cable and freeview. Sky's premium service is built into their Sky+ box - it's a PVR (I know you have it here but I'm dammed if I can remember the name!) this box also does HD channels - A couple of Discovery ones, Sky1 HD and the sports stuff on 1 channel.

Cable uses it's bandwidth differently - instead of a load of HD channels it allows HD "catch up TV" stuff that's been broadcast - but available on demand.

craigd
13th March 2008, 05:13 PM
;)Foxtel will go HD for sure this year... the HD boxes are already in field with some employee's already seeing the benefit of being able to take part in the test ;)