PDA

View Full Version : iMac suddenly not recognising my WD external hard drive

peekoe
13th March 2008, 12:15 PM
Hi all,
I bought a 320gb WD external hard drive and have been using it with Time Machine since December and everything was fine. Yesterday though I had one backup fail. I restarted the computer and it did another backup ok, then then next hour it just stayed on "preparing" for about half an hour, so I restarted again, and now it doesn't even recognise that the hard drive is connected. I've turned it on and off and restarted a couple more times.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound like a dead hard drive, or is there something else that I can try to get it to recognise it?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

p53
13th March 2008, 12:33 PM
can you see it in Disk Utility? see if you can repair the disk in Disk Utility

peekoe
13th March 2008, 12:52 PM
It shows up in disk utility, but all the options are greyed out (like repair disk and verify disk). It does show up in disk utility now though, and it didn't an hour or so ago. The drive is now crunching away, but still not showing up on my desktop or under devices.

leon
13th March 2008, 01:00 PM
Crunching bad way or normal operating way. If you google time machine and western digital drive, there appears to be a number of people with problems.

peekoe
13th March 2008, 01:18 PM
hmm... it's now come back by itself and has done a backup but it's not showing the normal Time Machine icon, just a normal folder icon, and is still crunching away (sounds like a normal crunching, but it's crunching even when it's not backing up). I don't know if I trust it now - might get a new backup drive to be safe.

Thank you both for your help!

Vapours
13th March 2008, 02:05 PM
Too much backup is barely enough.

GraphicUmp
14th March 2008, 01:10 AM
Is this an USB drive or a FireWire drive?

If it's FireWire, WD has a firmware update that improves its usage under OS X. There's a cold boot issue with these and the older firmware, among other stability issues. Upgrade the firmware and all is well.

ClockWork
14th March 2008, 03:57 AM
Sounds a little like there might be bad sectors on the WD HD.

Outside of the free TechTools Deluxe that Apple used to throw in with AppleCare Protection, is there some kind of free or shareware bad sector detector out there?