PDA

View Full Version : MBP Speed - Erase and Instal

Vipertox
13th March 2008, 10:38 AM
I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz and i am very happy with it. but i have noticed that over the 5-6 months that i have had it it is beginning to feel like it is slowing down. when i start up my computer it takes more time that it used to when it was new. it is still working great and fast, but there is a difference small but there is a difference and it is bothering me.

My question is what can i do to bring back its original speed. my friends seem to think that the solution is to Erase and Instal. this would entail me to back up the files that i want and some apps. then erase my hard drive and re-instal Leopard and iwork, iLife... ect.

does this system work, and does it bring back the original speed? I have had this question for a long time and i have talked to friends to get their input on the subject but they have not convinced me to do it.

i have some friends that said that their computers messed up when they tried to do it, others said it worked.

before you answer this you should know that i do have films on my computer that take up quite of space, i work with photos and they take up some space, i have used up my Hard drive but i still have about 66 GB free.

the other solution to this is that these media files are slowing me down and that i should not keep them on my computer. and i have read past solutions like getting applications that check things and stuff.

i would really appreciate it it you could shed some light on the erase and install idea.

Thanks,

Currawong
13th March 2008, 10:43 AM
It sounds like you have a lot of large files that have become fragmented. A simpler, though not free solution would be to get iDefrag. It comes with a utility for making a boot-able DVD that can be used to de-fragment your hard drive.

The other thing I'd suggest is the 7200rpm 200Gb Hitachi 2.5" hard drive. The HD is definitely the weak link in any Mac when it comes to speed. When I put one of these in my MBP the difference was very noticeable.

semaja2
13th March 2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hijack, but how much would a 7200rpm hdd cost and how much does it usually cost to install into a MBP

Vipertox
13th March 2008, 12:56 PM
how would that work, would you just ask an apple store to put in a new HD, and continuing with Semaja2 question how much would that cost.

but still input on the erase and instal idea

thanks for replying, this is my first post so again thanks for helping