PDA

View Full Version : Issues when MBP wakes from sleep - v. annoying

blah-blaher
12th March 2008, 08:29 PM
Hi all

My newish 15" 2.4Ghz MBP which i've had since late december 07 is starting to act up after i wake it from sleep.

The problem is when i put it to sleep by closing the lid (also electronic sleep) and wake it up again it, the screen sometimes screws around. it flashes... and then turns black. it seems the monitor just blacks out. Everything else works, meaning that if i had itunes running before i can click play on the remote and it'll play music. i get feed back from the keyboard, namely num lock and caps lock engage with the green light on. Also various keyboard noises, such as when u reach the limit of the max volume are still working fine. it is just i can not see anything.

The way i usually remedy this is just restart it. I do this by pressing the power button and hitting the "R" button for reset.... and i wait for the MBP to power down and start up again.

BUT! sometime though some odd coincidence the lcd does switch back on. Usually after pressing random buttons in a fit of frustration and pressing the power button a couple of times. When the screen comes back on the mouse acts incredibly oddly. the speed of the trackpad is very very fast. so a movement of one centimeter on the track pad sees the pointer fly from one side of the screen to the other and the whole system is very laggy. This ultimately ends in me restarting.

So is anyone in the same boat as I am? Its really annoying because when i'm in lectures, i most often restart and the welcome tune comes on. Every eye in the room is on me. I dont know what to do. I also do not want to restart the laptop everytime.

Any suggestions of what is going on with me MBP?

Many many thanks for anyone who could help!

Andrew

hiredgoon
12th March 2008, 09:07 PM
i had something similar happen to my mbp, doesnt seem as bad as yours though... mine would just freeze after it went to sleep and the only way to fix it was to restart holding down the power button. somehow it fixed itself. so basically im no help but is this you?

mac chime (http://www.prangstgrup.com/startupsound/)

kungfucamel
12th March 2008, 09:13 PM
yeah it's to do with the way that they now hibernate instead of just a sleep which means that it saves the contents of what's in ram to hdd. This takes about 30 - 45 secs for it to sleep and wake up. This happened when they introduced the intel chips for the macbooks/macbook pros. You can turn it off however so that it does an instant off and on when you lift the lid but if the battery runs out and there is no power then none of the contents are saved to ram.

if you do a google search for sleepimage or in these forums you'll find some discussion about it. i found this utility the other day which does it for you intelligently as well. It's called SmartSleep and by default has the instant sleep but if the battery life is below say 20% (you can adjust the %) it automatically puts it in hibernate. Download it from here: SmartSleep (http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html)

astr0b0y
12th March 2008, 09:20 PM
yeah it's to do with the way that they now hibernate instead of just a sleep which means that it saves the contents of what's in ram to hdd. This takes about 30 - 45 secs for it to sleep and wake up. This happened when they introduced the intel chips for the macbooks/macbook pros. You can turn it off however so that it does an instant off and on when you lift the lid but if the battery runs out and there is no power then none of the contents are saved to ram.

if you do a google search for sleepimage or in these forums you'll find some discussion about it. i found this utility the other day which does it for you intelligently as well. It's called SmartSleep and by default has the instant sleep but if the battery life is below say 20% (you can adjust the %) it automatically puts it in hibernate. Download it from here: SmartSleep (http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html)

This only happens when your batter runs out, not all the time....
The problem the OP describes has nothing to do with Safe Sleep I suspect.
I reckon it could be a faulty inverter. I have certainly experienced the fault, but not regularly, maybe once every couple of months. If this is happening every time, try creating a new user, logging out of the old on and into the new one and see if the fault still occurs. If so, take it in for service.

jimdrum
12th March 2008, 09:51 PM
It might be worth checking this out: Tutorial: Preventing Portable Mac sleep problems - MacFixIt (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070129234938244)

blah-blaher
12th March 2008, 10:18 PM
thanks everyone for the feedback! i'll look into it more.

crimespree
12th March 2008, 10:39 PM
do you have istat pro installed, this issue may be linked to that, remove and see what happens if you do

dotnet
12th March 2008, 11:16 PM
My wife's MBP used to have the same problem. When you pushed the lid latch button the lid would open a few millimetres and bounce a few times (sometimes the latch would even catch it closed again), probably sending multiple lid open/close events. Often this would result in the computer waking up but the display staying dark, or the display coming on and going right off again.

What always helped was closing the lid again and waiting a good while (a minute or two) until the MBP was well and truly asleep again, then opening it carefully without bounce.

This problem seems to have gone away, for some reason the lid now pops up a full 2cm or so (maybe something got bent, I have no idea). Ever since the lid bounce had gone we haven't had the wake-up weirdness anymore.

PS I truly hate the MBP lid latch. It is fiddly to use, needlessly complicated and over-engineered. I much prefer the MacBook solution.

Cheers
Steffen.