PDA

View Full Version : MySQL / MicroSQL

melted.marsbar
12th March 2008, 06:26 PM
Hey everyone :)

At school, in IPT, we are learning how to create and manage databases. We are using MicroSQL to build the databases and define queries.

I am wondering if there are any programs that can do this on my Mac. Do you know of any? It'd be great to be able to work on this project at home, too.

(I did search, but most of the topics were talking about running and installing mySQL servers... Will I need to do that, too?)

Thanks a bunch,

Mitch

melted.marsbar
13th March 2008, 09:50 PM
Just 'bumping' to see if anyone else had ideas... Cheers

jamesatfish
13th March 2008, 10:07 PM
(I did search, but most of the topics were talking about running and installing mySQL servers... Will I need to do that, too?)

MySQL is an industry standard database application, it's used in all types of deployments from single user to enterprise databases, and if you are just using it at home it's free to download and install.

I don't know about MicroSQL, but the general syntax of SQL is fairly common across most relational databases I've encountered - yes there are differences but for a school/uni course the concepts should most likely be the same.

If I were you I'd download and install MySQL on your Mac and do some quick tests to confirm that the commands you are used to with MicroSQL work the same on MySQL. Chances are they will both work in the same way so you'll be right to do your projects at home using MySQL.

melted.marsbar
14th March 2008, 07:25 PM
I have tried installing MySQL, and I have the preference panel in System Preferences. However, every time I click on "Start MySQL Server",
it asks for my password, and then simply does nothing. The MySQL Server doesn't start...

Do I really need to have MySQL Server? I just need an app that will let me design tables and query them locally...

Mitch

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7660/mysqlhj0.png

thorevenge
14th March 2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a permissions thing maybe.

Yeah, you need some kind of DB server. MySQL is just one of the easier ones that's free.

melted.marsbar
14th March 2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, you need some kind of DB server.

Ah right, thanks for that. But won't I need something as a front-end app? Something that I can input the query to, and that also displays the results?

thorevenge
14th March 2008, 07:56 PM
phpMyAdmin but it needs a php enabled webserver

Or MySQL do offer an Admin tool that can do queries.

Or Navicat or there is a range of others that can too.

JaimeSharp
14th March 2008, 08:02 PM
the reason it does not start i assume you have leopard is that the preference pane is broken and needs to be fixed yes you need the application it has to be started via terminal with the command

" sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld" you need it to create or edit then you can use phpmyadmin or any other graphical front end. to use phpmyadmin though you will need to uncomment the phpmodule in the php config file also the mysql admin tools have a query browser and administrator application.

James
14th March 2008, 09:33 PM
Have a play with MAMP. It's easy and it's free!

MAMP is a very easy to install compilation of Apache, PHP and MySQL for OSX. Everything will be installed in one folder. If you want to get rid of it, just move the folder into trash. An easy to use cocoa program to start and stop the servers is includedSourceForge.net: MAMP (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mamp)

and

www.mamp.info (http://www.mamp.info/en/index.php)

:D

melted.marsbar
15th March 2008, 01:29 AM
Have a play with MAMP. It's easy and it's free! :D

Thank you James! I had never heard of this before, and it's great!