PDA

View Full Version : Brand New 15" PowerBook: Being Returned To Apple

luztra
22nd March 2005, 12:13 AM
Just wanted to give a brief rundown on my brand new 15" PowerBook issues:

Received new PowerBook last Monday; did not really use it much, just set up wireless network and viewed a few web-pages. Spent most of Monday night backing up my other notebook and preparing it for a new user. On Tuesday, I began to use the PowerBook and I noticed that the PowerBook had a dead pixel and also would not wake up from sleep mode. Searched on the internet for a fix, did software updates etc - nothing resolved issue. Spent the next few days trying to fix sleep problem and finally on Thursday decided to ring Apple about it, but due to time difference (3 hours behind in WA), there was no one available in NSW and the only option was the support call centre (which I did not bother speaking to).

On Friday, as soon as I got home, called Apple again - and of course I would be too late to speak with someone in NSW. Becoming desperate, decided to be put through to the support call centre. After over one hour in total call time and two phone calls, the issue was still not fixed and I became really upset because it was Friday and I was stuck with a faulty PowerBook (I knew by this time that the PowerBook was definitely faulty). There was no way I was calling back for a third time; especially after the last operator tried to make me by AppleCare on the spot and then told me to go to the Apple support website for further support and search for myself (I did spend a considerable amount of time on the Apple support site before considering to call Apple). Anyway, this sort of pissed me off, because I had to wait until Monday to speak with someone who could help me further.

So this morning, I wake up at 6am (after going to bed at 4:30am) and call Apple straight away; end up with support call centre and I become very annoyed and tell operator to direct call to NSW; end up with a supervisor in call centre (who is American) and he attempts to get me to run through trouble shooting procedures again. I begin to tell the supervisor that I refuse to do this yet once again, and request that he fully read support history; if the operators failed to leave adequate notes, I tell him I can forward my notes (which are four pages at this stage). At this time he says that it is best if I have Apple look at the notebook and/or speak with customer relations in Sydney. So my call now gets routed to Sydney where I am on hold for considerable time before explaining the situation once again to the next operator, who then tells me I need to speak with XXX as he cannot help me. Call is transferred to XXX; after 10 minutes of waiting (during this time I can hear people from Apple talking), I hear someone sit at their desk and I continue to repeatedly say "hello". The phone is picked up by ZZZ; who needs the situation explained to him. By this time, I have been passed around for one hour and feel like I am getting nowhere. I tell ZZZ that since Apples support records seem to be lacking so much information, would he like my copy of the situation faxed to him - ZZZ agrees that this is a great idea and proceeds to give me his fax number and takes my number down and promises to call me back.

Five hours later, I still have not heard anything from Apple, so I call ZZZ back and ask if he received my fax and can I have an update on the situation. ZZZ agrees that the PowerBook is faulty from the factory (the sleep issue) and that he is awaiting approval from his supervisor to go ahead with a replacement PowerBook. He promises to call me back by the end of the day. At 5pm Sydney time, I had not heard back from ZZZ and I become really disappointed. At 6pm Sydney time, I receive a call back from ZZZ on my mobile. He informs me that Apple will be shipping a brand new replacement PowerBook to me; he will need to arrange this tomorrow and will also arrange for the original PowerBook to be returned to Apple by their shipping provider. I must say, ZZZ at Apple was really nice and helpful the whole time; and did call back as promised (this made my day!).

So now I am just hoping that the new PowerBook arrives soon (I did wait one month for this one) and I am also hoping that the replacement does not have the sleep issue that my original PowerBook has (I don't want dead pixels either!!!!!).

Well this is the end of my rant - sorry if it was too long.

Cheers
Kristine

OziMac
22nd March 2005, 06:02 AM
Hmm. It's bad that your Powerbook was faulty and Support was annoying (no surprise, but good that you were firm with them) but they've finally decided to replace it - what's the big deal? :)

Would have been easier if you' just taken it in to an Apple service Centre...

iluvmymactoo
22nd March 2005, 06:05 AM
I suspect the "ZZZ" you spoke with is the same person I dealt with during the delivery fiasco I had not too long ago.

This person expressed a keen interest in Apple's lack of customer service and how it should be improved. But like I told ZZZ (?), it's a pity we have to jump through hoops to get the service that we should in the first place.

I hope you get your replacement soon.

fairy1
24th March 2005, 08:03 PM
hmm this is a rather stressfull and saf story especially if you had been waiting 1 month to get a powerbook and once u did u had Apixel problem after spending 3000 dollars!! & more.. Im getting stressed out im buying mine next week i hope i have noi ssues like this ,

well hope u enjoy ur new powerbook and have fun setting up ur new preferences and making it all customised for ur needs.

sorry to hear about all that and u live in WA well look a the bright side u will be getting ur replacement thang goodnes!

luztra
24th March 2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Mar 22 2005, 06:02 AM
Would have been easier if you' just taken it in to an Apple service Centre...
Mmmm...not really, when it is a 200km trip for me (I am in what is considered a regional area)...and they would not have been able to give me a replacement on the spot anyway...

yinyang
24th March 2005, 10:27 PM
well i hope the new powerbook doesn't go the same way as the first, and congratulate you for your persistence. there are also ways to get rid of dead pixels if they are of the right kind - use a pda stylus and gently rub the dead pixel, ad sometimes if comes alive!!

a search on these forums turned up these two...

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=4019&hl=

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=893&st=0

but i hope you don't have to refer to them :)

luztra
24th March 2005, 11:02 PM
The dead pixel problem was not the main concern (I can live with that). It was that the PowerBook cannot wake up from sleep mode.

hawker
24th March 2005, 11:22 PM
Bad problems. Doubt you will get it again! If you do that is just real real bad luck :(

Maticks
24th March 2005, 11:57 PM
i've had 3 powerbook in 2 months, i got really unlucky.
The first one the logic board died on the 3rd day and had to be replaced, then the logic board and screen were dead it used to boot up in verbose fine but when it came to loading the login screen it just went black.
They then gave me a new one which worked fine for 2 weeks then when i unplugged the power cable the powerbook would turn off.
when it was plugged back in i got electrical shocks when i booted with the hardware tester it said alot of things were unhappy, i took it in an apparently they've had reports of power supplies doing this but they tried a new power supply and it was still broken.
After very little issue they agreed to give me a new powerbook that was tested in sydney and gave me an extra 512mb of memory for all the problems.
6 months down the track now, no issues. :)
bought a powermac g5 2 months ago and no problems, i think i just got some lemon's, the phone support i received was useless but the apple store i went to was great.
i went to nextbyte they didnt want to know me and said they'd get a chance to look at it in two weeks and its my work laptop.
computers now i took it too after that they said someone can check it in the next 48 hours and tell me what's wrong.

chako012
24th March 2005, 11:59 PM
Reminds me of the time when i spent the whole afternoon repeating my details letter by letter to an indian technical support guy who thought a "G" was a "D", before being transferred to many peopel that could not help, and having one of them hang up on me. Just great. Gotta love Apple, they just know how to keep ur adrenalin running - move over V