PDA

View Full Version : Can you salary sacrifice business software with your notebook purchase?

MissionMan
12th March 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Guys

Hopefully someone can answer this for me before I go down this path. I'm in the process of buying a notebook along with software. I would like to get Office 2008 Home/Student Edition (I don't need Exchange Support, I will have Outlook on Parallels) to go with it and was hoping someone could tell me if Office can be salary sacrificed as well if I tend using it for business? Also, what other items can I legitimately purchase for business use under the salary sacrifice arrangement. I.e. mouse, 3 year warranty, xp pro oem?

Amzy
12th March 2008, 03:12 PM
Hi,
It depends from company to company. For instance, my organization allows me to salary sac my laptop along with accessories like mouse, keyboard, modem etc BUT i cannot salary sac extended warranty, software.
On the other hand, my wife's company does not even allow her to modify a machine. Only 1 laptop can be salary sac'd and no addition RAM/HDD upgrade etc. is allowed! Pretty lame, i know!
So, contact your HR department and find out what's possible and what's not!
Hope this helps!

Galumay
12th March 2008, 03:21 PM
Hi Guys

Hopefully someone can answer this for me before I go down this path. I'm in the process of buying a notebook along with software. I would like to get Office 2008 Home/Student Edition (I don't need Exchange Support, I will have Outlook on Parallels) to go with it and was hoping someone could tell me if Office can be salary sacrificed as well if I tend using it for business? Also, what other items can I legitimately purchase for business use under the salary sacrifice arrangement. I.e. mouse, 3 year warranty, xp pro oem?

Legitimately, business related software is exempt, you cant purchase a mouse of a 3 year warranty.

re the Business software, read this decision from the ATO,

ATO ID 2006/236 - Exempt benefits: work related items - laptop computer or similar portable computer - computer software (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?locid='AID/AID2006236'&PiT=99991231235958)

MissionMan
13th March 2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks. The help is appreciated. Just what I need to know.